Strange and/or Beautiful music I've just discovered

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 06:10 pm
@djjd62,
Hah! I've seen Reggie on Spicks And Specks (sadly in prime time) he and Jon Lajois need to do a duet. Brill!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 03:57 pm
This came up on random today - some mid 2000s australian alt rock - found this cool video someone made for it as part of some triple j media competition.

A cool dark undertone.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:30 am
Noice, Nils does quavering Neil better than Neil himself - pity I couldn't find the nine minute extended version complete with mega acoustic guitar solo that I just found on random - can't find it on allmusic, I wonder where it came from.

hingehead

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:45 am
I knew This Mortal Coil's 'Blood' well but never really listened to the earlier album 'Filigree and Shadow', what a pity, I would have loved this in 1986...

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
Having a hard time coming up with who actually created this there are uncredited copies all over youtube, but with my librarian head on this is the creator's vimeo version: http://vimeo.com/5324878 apparently it's an entrant in the Annecy Film Festival: http://www.annecy.org/ (dear organisers, don't use a google site search if you're frame-based pffft). Really cool - click play.

Sonar - Renaud Hallee

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:20 pm
Discovered these guys last year (35 years late, I know). People say they pre-date Tangerine Dream - not true, but this is cool all synth stuff from the US when not many people anywhere were doing it.

I was actually listening to Oleo Strut - but it's not on youtube so try this
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:30 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Noice, Nils does quavering Neil better than Neil himself - pity I couldn't find the nine minute extended version complete with mega acoustic guitar solo that I just found on random -

I really enjoyed that.
It is a very nice version, hinge!
If you stumble upon the longer version, please do post it.
hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:54 am
@msolga,
I could probably figure out how to put it on a fileshare that you could download - or I could just make a video of it myself and youtube it. Projects project projects.
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:59 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Projects project projects.

The very last thing I'd want to do is to create extra work for a person with umpteen projects on the go already, hinge.
So not to worry. No problem.

But I did enjoy the video.
Thanks. Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:01 am
THis just came up and I learnt something while cataloguing. Who new Del Shannon did a psychedelic album, and did it well? I was sure he toured Australia in the 80s with Canned Heat but I can't find anything confirming it on the web - maybe his band had some former members in it - he was definitely here in 1989, the year before he became a shot gun suicide.

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:20 pm
Definitely under strange. Cool doesn't have a long lifespan. This is the utmost.

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:25 pm
I was raised with what people call "classical music," although it's not all that simple. Since you speak of beautiful music, i immediately thought of this, The Lark Ascending, by the Welsh composer Rafe Vaughan Williams, written in 1914, but interrupted by the war, he finished his final revision and it was first performed in public in 1920.

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Definitely under strange. Cool doesn't have a long lifespan. This is the utmost.

That was the ginchiest, man! Razz
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/kookie.htm
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:55 pm
@Setanta,
Damn that was fine Set. I got shivers (Bloody Cellos welling up gets me every time).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:59 pm
@msolga,
I've got Lee Gordon's 'She's the ginchiest' on a couple of disks but being Ozzian and similarly old I can't find it on youtube. Nother project. It's kind of beat poetry. That it appears on 'Antipodean Atrocities' is a review in itself.
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:28 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I've got Lee Gordon's 'She's the ginchiest' on a couple of disks but being Ozzian and similarly old I can't find it on youtube.

Well damn. How disappointing.
You really are into the obscure, aren't you, hinge? I'd love to check out your collection! I sight to behold, I'm certain.
(psst .. I'd never heard of the term till I checked out the 77 Sunset Strip site this morning. So I'm only masquerading as cool, not the real thing at all! Wink)
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:38 pm
@msolga,
My brain is on maximum association today. I'm reading Pig City (musical/political/social history of Brisbane) and 77 Sunset Strip is the the first single of a band called the Numbers, who soon changed their name to the Riptides (I remember my brother raving about them in the late 70s) who eventually morphed into Died Pretty
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:46 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
My brain is on maximum association today.

Yep, you're definitely on a roll, alright! Smile

(I know it's not the right time, the right thread & all ... but Pig City is an intriguing title for a history of Brisbane. If you have the time & the inclination at some stage, hinge, I'd definitely be interested in hearing more. Perhaps on one of the Oz threads?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:56 am
@hingehead,
Well that's some Del Shannon i'd never see before, and i was boppin' to the beat in those days.

CBC has a late night blues radio program, and coming back from a show Saturday night, The Girl and i heard this interview of the two members of Canned Heat (there were dozens of them suckers)--Adolfo de la Parra and Henry Vestine. Mostly they told about the album they did with John Lee Hooker in 1971, although they did recount their association with John Mayal and the Bluesbreaker. It was a great show.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:12 am
Something a bit out of the box for me, never heard of Willis Alan Ramsey but his self-titled debut from 1972 is damn fine. He wrote the song that became known as Muskrat Love (he called it Muskrat Candlelight). Folky-country-soft rocky-bluesey-texas-singersongwriter with a nice angle on introspection and psychedelia.