What do you think of astrology?

OmSigDAVID

Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Very useful with the opposite sex for small talk...
YES. In the 1980s, some friends and I discovered
that hand reading was the FASTEST way to hold hands with pretty girls.
Thay line up for it, literally.
Then thay pay close attention.

I heard that an acquaintance named George was in a bar
and that he saw a pretty girl whose hand was unheld.
He offered to read her hand. It worked.

A few minutes later, Big Bruno stomps back from the men 's room
and inquires qua Y he is holding his girlfriend's hand.
George was swift to explain the circumstances
and, with a vu toward avoiding violence,
he offered to read Bruno 's hand.

I was told that at the end of Bruno 's reading,
George said that he kept thinking about Delancy St.
(tho there is no line in the hand representing that street),
whereupon Bruno said that he GREW UP on Delancy Street.

I have a procedure to calculate,
with the most exact precision how accurate
your daily horoscopes r, to wit:
read each one at the END of the day that it predicts.

That analysis never fails.

David
0 Replies

hamilton

Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:09 am
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

I think I'm going to take risks today and my love life is going to skyrocket.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 08:44 am
@hamilton,

existential potential wrote:

hamilton wrote:
I think I'm going to take risks today and my love life is going to skyrocket.
Let us know tomorrow
how well that worked out.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:11 am
I don't think much of astrology. But every once in a while something like the following happens:

I thought, in reference to someone I know, "I wonder which Anna will show up." Then I thought "I wonder if Anna is a Gemini?" Then I figured out a way to look up her birthday, and then I looked up her astrological sign, and whaddya know, she's a Gemini. (She's got two pretty distinct sides to her -- one is bubbly and pleasant, one is sullen and moody.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:19 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Very useful with the opposite sex for small talk...

It definitely is! When I am asked what my sign is, I reply: a stop sign!
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
...it was useful as small talk 15 years ago when I was in my twenty´s...thankfully today I have a different kind of talk with my present girlfriend...
CalamityJane

Tue 4 Oct, 2011 02:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Of course, Fil. We both were joking obviously Smile
0 Replies

trichakra

Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:25 am
i do believe in astrology. My zodiac sign is 100% accurate.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 29 Aug, 2016 07:29 am
I don't think about it.
0 Replies

uwe125

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
@trichakra,
Quote:
i do believe in astrology. My zodiac sign is 100% accurate.

Accurate in what? Don't you think you get told what you would like to hear?
Well have you done an online check. I mean there are websites out there calculating your daily to yearly horoscope just double check it and report back.
cicerone imposter

Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:00 pm
@uwe125,
Isn't it interesting how people seem to believe something is true, because they perceive it that way. It's sort of like religion and politics; their belief is constantly reinforced 100% of the time: Impossible, unless they don't have a mind of their own.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:32 am
It has purpose no doubts. For starters is good silly talking. As entertaining as fortune cookies although not as good as fairy tales. As anything with social relevance if it exits it fits a purpose and serves a target market...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:03 pm
It's a fraud.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_science
fresco

Sat 11 Mar, 2017 04:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
(The reason for the post above yours was for self publicity spam.)
0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 07:46 pm
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/0523540ef1456d8e744e4d71c74e996c95f196-v5-wm.jpg?v=3
0 Replies

Krumple

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

All I am going to say is that here in MA, the astrologers I have met hold the following degrees:

Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Michigan

Masters of Divinity in pastoral counseling from Boston University

MSW from Smith College

Masters of Education in counseling (university unknown)

Masters of Science in psychology (university unknown)

Each of these women gave up psychology for astrology because they felt that as astrologers, they could offer clients more concrete, active help rather than simply passive listening.

Or could it be that converting to an astrologer they can practice nonsense without the threat of losing their licence. Not to mention you can get paid to peddle male cow feces.

Being a psychologist has a lot of limitations but being an astrologer has very few. Its as if quackery has been given a hands off legality but teal science, real good help is held down by policy and rules.
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:42 am
@Krumple,
Gotta give 'em credit for attracting so many paying customers.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
Save for later
0 Replies

coluber2001

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 04:39 pm
In James Burke's book "The Day The Universe changed" in the first paragraph a friend of Wittgenstein's tells him how stupid the Ancients were for believing that the sun orbits the Earth. Wittgenstein agreed but then surmised how it would have appeared if the sun actually did orbit the Earth. Of course it would appear exactly the same . Back before the discoveries of Copernicus and Galileo astrology was the accepted explanation for the phenomena of man, the earth, and its place in the universe.

Astrology was the accepted science of the church and the scientist. Ptolemy's view of the universe was the Earth at the center surrounded by eight crystalline spheres.

Geocentrism was how the Universe appeared and astrology was consistent with this appearance .

In each of the crystalline spheres was suspended an orb respectively the moon, the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. The last sphere accounted for the Stars perhaps nothing but perforation through which the light from heaven beyond penetrated. Each of the orbs had influences, such as a metal, a branch of learning, and a note of the chromatic scale, the last accounting for the term Music of the Spheres.
coluber2001

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 04:58 pm
@coluber2001,

At the moment of birth of the child its soul descends from the heavens through the crystalline spheres picking up influences from each of us spheres that it passes close to . These collective influences determined the destiny and the personality of the child.

One problem with astrology today is the procession of the equinoxes. Because the Earth wobbles on its axis and one wobble takes approximately 26000 years, every 2100 years or so each of the 12 astrological signs lags behind approximately one month.

Still it's fun going out at night during the summer and finding the constellations of the zodiac. Zodiac literally means diameter or circle of animals and there are 12 of them lined up. Within these constellations you'll find the planets. So there are two ways of going about it, either find two constellations or two planets and line them up. Now if you remember the model of the solar system with the Sun at the center and the Earth orbiting the Sun and all the other planets pretty close to that same plane, the plane of the Earth orbiting the Sun is called the ecliptic and the ecliptic falls within the 12 constellations of the zodiac.

So if you're looking at the sky at the constellation Taurus , 2100 years ago at the same exact time and position in the sky you would have seen the constellation Gemini.

0 Replies