Deck stain issues

blueb

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:44 am
In a nutshell: We paid to have our deck cleaned/brightened/stained. Contractor applied the wrong product. It should have been a water-based hybrid semi-transparent (which is what we have always used). Instead, he applied a solvent-based toner.

My question is: Aside from the fact that it looks ugly, what are the ramifications of applying a solvent-based toner over a water-based (oil/acrylic hybrid) semi-transparent stain? Will the toner wear appropriately over time, or will it wash off or break down? The surface was cleaned and brightened prior to application.

Thanks so much for any help as I am trying to decide how hard to push for it to be re-done.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,223 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:54 am
@blueb,
I am not sure of the outcome of such a situation. However, I would persue having the contractor put the deck into the condition that you contracted for for this very reason.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:24 pm
@blueb,
The info on this site should be informative to you. It sounds like they specifically address your question.

http://www.cedar-deck.org/finishing_cedar_decks/overview.htm

Excerpt:

Quote:
If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily.
0 Replies