@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Do you fear your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Do you trust your ego?

Why?

Why not?
I've been pondering the nature of the ego. It's a name for a superficial aspect of a person. It implies that there's a deeper part.

This image came to me that the ego is made of resistance... but not a one time resistance, but a recurring thing, like frames of a movie seem to make up a continuous stream, the ego is made of frames that merge into a sense of "me."

What I mean by resistance is saying "no" to this or that. "Me" is built out of the unique ways I reject stuff in my world. See what I mean? By rejecting, myself is defined. If I said yes to everything, there would just be this flowing experience of life.

Ego isn't good or bad anymore than a bird is good or bad. It's a form of life. It's the part that allows our sophisticated social interactions. Through that we come together in a way no other species does, coordinating our dreams so that doorways are open to our potential.

To the extent the ego causes suffering, that means there's too much resistance. Life is asking for a little unwinding of judgement. The antidote to judgement is understanding.

What do you think?
Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:36 pm
@sometime sun,
I see you're back... along with others? Confused
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:50 pm
@sometime sun,
having never meet Freud, I was never assigned an ego. I assume you do know that the concept of ego was only a construct of Freud and doesn't actually exist in any somatic analysis. but then, maybe you don't know that and likewise fear your aura.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:53 pm
Leggo my ego.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:23 pm
What we fear, I think, is the loss of ego. We identify--by definition--with our egos.
thack45

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:24 pm
@sometime sun,
I can not fear my ego. I can fear that my ego will be exposed to others as being my ego, and that is -of course- part of my ego.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:27 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

having never meet Freud, I was never assigned an ego. I assume you do know that the concept of ego was only a construct of Freud and doesn't actually exist in any somatic analysis. but then, maybe you don't know that and likewise fear your aura.
Ha! Thus spoke the ego...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 01:40 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Do you fear your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Do you trust your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Hi Sun!

1) No.

2) I don't have one anymore.

3) Because I don't.

4) No.

5) I don't have one anymore.

6) Because I don't.

Have an amazing weekend, my returned-again friend!
Mark...
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 02:30 pm
@Arjuna,
I agree with a lot of what you said here. it is by rejecting, and accepting certain things that our image of "ego" or "self" is produced. "I like this", "I don't like that", "this is who I am", "This is who I am not" all these likes, dislike etc build up our sense of "self". if we are too dependent on our "ego", then we will fear losing it, because it is so massively important to us "to be this person".
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Do you fear your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Do you trust your ego?

Why?

Why not?

I neither fear nor trust it. I'm inside myself, as we all are, but ego is only ones' sense of self (as differentiated from others). Without it, we don't have any sense of self-awareness. Too much of it and others become things; idle irritants that aren't worth our time or respect.

Its a word that's been badly demonized, yet its very definition carries no intonation of selfishness or disregard for others. Its as if we can safely use self-descriptions as "image", "esteem" and "worth", yet if we call it ego it suddenly becomes the bastard in need of a hard thrashing.

Keeping ones sense of self import - the extent to which your mind's 'camera' is always on you - in check is wise beyond description; however, we likely can't deny that we are the 'stars' in our own show. Taking this into account, to me, seems to help keep ourselves in check and daily relevances in their proper perspective.

Thanks
sometime sun

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm
@Arjuna,
sometime sun wrote:

Do you fear your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Do you trust your ego?

Why?

Why not?

Arjuna wrote:

I've been pondering the nature of the ego. It's a name for a superficial aspect of a person. It implies that there's a deeper part.

"Nature" of ego suggests it has a predetermined design?
Which may suggest it has its own commandments, morality, character, personality, good and evils?

What of ego sacrifice or martyrdom?

"superficial" suggests it is the judged not the judger.
The starlet not the script?
The valued not the valuer?
The sin not the sinner?

What of the ticket holders?

"aspect" suggests it is a consideration or an appearance?
It has a face?
Do we make it up or does it make us up?

What of the tangibilities or sciences?
What of the prophets of ego?
Arjuna wrote:

This image came to me that the ego is made of resistance... but not a one time resistance, but a recurring thing, like frames of a movie seem to make up a continuous stream, the ego is made of frames that merge into a sense of "me."

Ego is learned behaviour?
Ego can be controlled by the level of screen time?
Ego is familiar repetition exposure or possibly stranger sensationalist burial?

Can the ego be cremated or resurrected?
Arjuna wrote:

What I mean by resistance is saying "no" to this or that. "Me" is built out of the unique ways I reject stuff in my world. See what I mean? By rejecting, myself is defined. If I said yes to everything, there would just be this flowing experience of life.

Our identity is forged by what we restrict more than what we accede.
Our no is heavier then our yes.
Our denial scars deeper than heals our acceptance.
A lesson learned is by what is wrong more than what is beneficial.
Yes I think I see.

We are shaped by our restrictions more than our addictions?
What exactly are we addicted to when we say we are addicted to our ego?

Is the ego a pleasure centre?

A rejection is a forever battle rather than acceptance being a closure.

We may always suspect our denial if we have not experienced the failure and destruction first hand.

We know our experience because of the boundaries set by the refusal rather than ever a free ranger of a beggar.

Does the ego beg or entreat where as the persona has learned to survive when in famine or feast.

What is the test, the fed or the starving?
Can we starve the ego to the extent it does what the persona chooses as its taste?

Can the ego be bribed?
Or is it the extorter?

Can we con the con artist?

Arjuna wrote:

Ego isn't good or bad anymore than a bird is good or bad. It's a form of life. It's the part that allows our sophisticated social interactions. Through that we come together in a way no other species does, coordinating our dreams so that doorways are open to our potential.

Is the ego our pet monster dragon?
Could it not be conditioned to be our pet warrior hero?
Or is the warrior the subduer of the monster?

Are the social inadequate egoless?
Again then surly the ego has needs and aversions?

Is it the ego that dreams for us?
Is the ego our subconscious?
Is subconscious the seeking of desires or the separation of our destructions?

What part knows up best, the part we act from unthinkingly or the part we restrain thoughtfully?
(I could have made a whole deck out of this but restrained)

Arjuna wrote:

To the extent the ego causes suffering, that means there's too much resistance. Life is asking for a little unwinding of judgement. The antidote to judgement is understanding.

The antidote of need is indulgence?
Arjuna wrote:

What do you think?

I have no idea so far from this shape of the discussion.
The only thing and one liner I had prepared was,
"I don't want to be imprisoned for a crime I did not commit."
But there is a huge back story to this I will get into some time soon if I can enlist myself and attention again for the ego cause.

I scatted through this one and did not really concentrate enough.

Is it the ego that wants to be heard so will try and say something noticeable or the ego that just wants to say any old thing for the reason to speak to be noticed?

0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 01:57 pm
@dyslexia,
I am sorry dyslexia I really when I first read this post of yours had a wide open appreciation and experience of your content and tonight words fail.
But I did dig this out.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/alter-ego.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:11 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Its a word that's been badly demonized, yet its very definition carries no intonation of selfishness or disregard for others.
That's for sure!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@JLNobody,
You sure about that?
0 Replies