Stadium food? To eat or not to eat?

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:35 pm
Quote:
Mold in ice machines at six stands at Miller Park in Milwaukee. A cockroach crawling over a soda dispenser in a private club at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. Food service workers repeatedly ignoring orders to wash their hands at a stand at Detroit's Ford Field.

Sports fans don't always see such health threats when ordering a $5 hot dog and $6 beer at a professional sports stadium or arena. But the violations catch the eyes of inspectors who poke, prod and probe stadium kitchens that dish out a range of foods from burgers to sushi, for tens of millions of fans who eat at major professional sports venues from coast to coast each year.

Go check out the interactive map (of the US and several Candian stadiums) at ESPN.com to see if your local stadium is slowly poisoning you!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100725/stadiumconcessions

While we're talking about stadium food... who has the best stadium food in the sporting world? Who has the worst?

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yawn.

I think it is best to eat in the places with the most violations. It means that the health inspectors are doing their job... and that the workers of the places in question are being extra careful.

Overall I don't think this is much of a big deal.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:09 pm
@ebrown p,
lets get e a big helping o mouse turds and watch him enjoy.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
lets get e a big helping o mouse turds and watch him enjoy.

High in fiber and a daily dose of salmonella! Who thought that stadium junk food would be so nutritious!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
LOL,

I am guessing you two don't get out too much (considering that you can find these stories about pretty much any part of the modern food economy). Unless you are some kind of weirdo organic survivalists, you are eating food that that has been cited for health violations.

I am all in favor of health inspectors. I am just opposed to excessive hysteria.

If there were an actual problem with Salmonella in a specific part of the food chain... that would be another story.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Gosh I once got an Ichiro Roll at a Mariners game - first time I ever got sushi at a ball game. I have seen more and more ball parks getting higher quality food - not sure about the added vermin though. Red Sox has Legal Seafood chowder; I gone to a minor league game where they have a local Mexican restaurant that serves food - the burrito was outstanding.

Honestly, I'm not gonna worry about the stray bugs, rodents, etc. It would ruin the experience - fortunately for me I have a pretty strong stomach.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
There's mold in the ice machines at Miller Park because no one puts ice in his beer. They haven't been used in ages.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:41 am
as far as stadiums go, i've only ever been to the old tiger stadium and exhibition stadium in toronto

i only drank the beer, i felt perfectly safe, intoxicated but safe
Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
@djjd62,
Since Exhibition Stadium was only used until 1989, I assume you don't get out to many sporting events. Smile
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:52 am
you would never drink out of a bottled water cooler, if you realized what was growing inside the cooler.

ice despensers needs to have a bleach water solution run through them regularly.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:56 am
It's my favorite part of the Yankee Stadium experience - the $9 plastic cup of warm beer.

Joe(that and if the Yankees lose, that's even better.)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:01 am
@Intrepid,
Isn't that where the TFC is playing now? do I know? no.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
Exhibition Stadium was torn down in 1999. They replaced it with BMO Field in 2007.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:05 am
@Intrepid,
that was the last year i lived in toronto, used to love to go to the games during the air show, get some cheap seats from scalpers and sit at the top of the stadium to watch the air show and game
Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:06 am
@djjd62,
Those were the days. Smile
ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:09 am
@Intrepid,
I knew I couldn't tell one stadium from the other.

I know that I could look into one from the ferris wheel at the Ex, and I can look into the current one from the ferris wheel at the Ex. Same diff Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

It's my favorite part of the Yankee Stadium experience - the $9 plastic cup of warm beer.

Joe(that and if the Yankees lose, that's even better.)Nation

I have the same dream as you Joe Nation!

Signed,
Tsarstepan of the Red Sox Nation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:13 pm
Will you please quit trying to corrupt the forum, dilli333?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:24 pm
@roger,
it's a bot.

or the most determined moron yet...
0 Replies