What else we can use for oil painting except canvas

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:57 am
Hi I m just a beginner I am just learning oil painting. I don't want to start with canvas dirctly. Can i start painting on any sheet? If yes, then what kind of sheet. Help me out Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:26 am
@kirankhailani,
a number of artists have painted oils on papaer, cardboard, or wooden panels or even masonite. I once did a bunch of black and grey and white toned paintings on sheets of zinc. Then I could scratch away the paint where I wanted to show some detail in the lines.
Theres no hard fast rule that you can only paint on canvas. Just remember that when you use a really weak bakground, it can tear with adding lots of oil in the pigment .

What colors of pigm,ent do you have ?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:27 am
@kirankhailani,
You can paint on wood, many of the old masters did so. And if you use a sheet, stretch it taut and make sure you apply gesso to it. Or you can go and buy cheap wooden canvas boards at Michaels or some other art store - they're perfect for beginners. Don't forget, if you don't paint too thickly, you can paint something else over it. Good luck!
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@Mame,
Gesso is a kind of a "primer" which allows the oils to bond with the surface. Gessos are usually acrylic paints so you can actually use left over acrylic latex wall paint as a primer. I often use color primers so I dont have this big intimidating sheet of white staring me in the face.
0 Replies

kirankhailani

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:31 am
Thank u so much everyone. I'll try on wood or cardboard
0 Replies