Who is your "go to guy"?

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:45 pm
I was thinking about my old boss today. He was truly one of the coolest, smartest, most honorable people I've ever met. He was very traditional. Very old school. Very. Why he hired me (recruited me, actually; hired me away from my employer) I'll never know but it worked out good for both of us. I adore him.

A couple of times a year we would have to travel together. When we did he would always challenge me to find a resaurant that he would like.

This was no easy task.

This was a man who kept a seperate condo to house his wine collection. He knew food. He enjoyed food.

This is how I discovered the joy of the hotel concierge. Depending on the city, $50 - $100 bucks would buy me the name and a reservation to a restaurant that met my 12 point criteria.

If I ever failed at my challenge he never told me. He always ate so I think I did okay.

The hotel concierge was my "go to guy".

Once in a while I'll still stop in a hotel to get a recommendation from the concierge even though I've lived in this city for years and years.

Maybe you have a guy that you go to. Someone who reviews books or movies or restaurants that you think always gets it right. Or maybe it's just a friend who never steers you wrong.

So. Do you have a "go to guy"? Who is it!?

kittenluver97

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:00 pm
@boomerang,
do u noe why u dont have any replies? beacause u make ur stories too long
sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:07 pm
@kittenluver97,
!!

And because just 15 minutes had yet passed when you responded.

Some of my very favorite threads ever have been started by long boomer posts.

Not that she needs defending but that was just kind of !!!.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:09 pm
@kittenluver97,
For someone who can't spell like you, any story would be a pain in the butt, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
@boomerang,
Sorry boomer, I have no "go to guy" unless a handyman counts. If I need something done at the house or at the office I always call him first and chances
are that he can help, if not, at least recommend someone who can.
sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah, I didn't respond to the question...

I think I have a bunch of 'em. A2K is probably the most general one (with lots of different people on A2K I'd ask different questions). There is one mom friend I have who knows EVERYTHING that's going on (she has three very social kids who are widely spaced, age-wise), I go to her for local info. (What really happened to ___, when I should sign up for ___, etc., etc.) I have another friend who always can recommend a good book for me if I've depleted my "to read" pile. And on and on, without any one person really dominating.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:29 pm
@boomerang,
Movies? my oldest son

Music and British TV? djjd (actually I go to him for lots of stuff)

Up North we have a neighbour who knows everything that's going on in the area and understands rural stuff (wells, wood stoves, tractors). We get great advice from him and in return he finds us hilarious (in a kind, non-patronizing way).
boomerang

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
Thanks soz and CJane. I think I've acquired a troll. I have them on ignore. I hope you ignore them too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:32 pm
@boomerang,
In the Opulent Mensan Special Interest Group, we have a ferret.
His name is Marty. He is a natural for it.

He scours newspapers, his Zagat and his AAA Guide for interesting restaurants.
He got some good ones, e.g. the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago
and my favorite: Victoria & Albert's in (or near) Disneyworld in Florida.
When I called from NY to reserve, I was not only asked HOW MANY were in my party, as usual,
but WHO will be in my party and the favorite foods of each attender. I had to research that.

When we arrived, we were each presented with our own individual menu,
with our own personal favorite foods on it, bound in deep velvet
and engraved with the name of that attender in GOLD.

The food was GOOD.
Each waitress is named Victoria and each waiter is named Albert.
Thay have a harpist, for soft musical delight.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:39 pm
@boomerang,
What r your 12 point criteria ?

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:40 pm
@boomerang,
Different people for different stuff, I guess.

Of the people we know jointly:

For computer stuff, Robert if he's around.

Soz for a good discussion of living with the other human beans.

I have friends IRL who are good for different stuff...like the structural engineer, the architect, political friends.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:48 pm
boomerang wrote:
Who is your 'go to guy'"?

I haven't really thought about it yet. But now that I do, my first thought is I should probably make boomerang my go to gal for thread titles.
Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 10:12 pm
Most definitely my son. He's 26, and I should probably be ashamed to burden him so much - but he has never steered me wrong. Financial - class selection - big decisions / small ones - he even made himself available to give relationahip advice - and even though I have a couple of good chick friends - he blows them out of the water. He tells me what he thinks - no matter how he imagines it will be received. He looks at it from all angles - and he knows me. His sister's not too shabby, either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 10:15 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

boomerang wrote:
Who is your 'go to guy'"?

I haven't really thought about it yet. But now that I do, my first thought is I should probably make boomerang my go to gal for thread titles.

She's inspired and indefatigable all right!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:16 am
a2k is my go-to guy. I usually get a good, helpful answer from somebody.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:29 am
my wife. We used to tell our kids that mum knew everything and what she didnt know dad did.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:46 am
@Tai Chi,
you guys might have surpassed me on the music scene (canadian music anyway)

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
A2K is certainly a good "go to guy". I do that a lot!

Hey Lash! Long time no see.

I think it's very cool that some of you have kids that are your go to guys!

I used to have a friend who was always the first person to try a new restaurant, see a new movie, go to a new club. She was a great resource in learning what was worth a try.

I don't remember all the things on my 12 point checklist but it included things like:
It can be expensive but not pretentious.
It isn't a tourist type place--should have more of a neighborhood vibe.
It has a good wine list.
Great food prepared in a classical manner (nothing too frou-frou or experimental)

Stuff like that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:07 am
My husband- for logical solutions to knotty problems.

My son- For making me laugh when I am taking this life much too seriously.
boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:32 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
My son- For making me laugh when I am taking this life much too seriously.

We could all benefit from having a go-to person for that!
0 Replies