Which calculator is best for upper level math?

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:57 pm
Before I finish undergrad, I'll need to take most or all of these classes:

Intermediate Statistics
Probability and Statistics
Calculus I
Calculus II
Calculus for Business
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra

Will a TI-83+ suffice or should I pony up and get a TI-89 which is considerably more expensive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,439 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@brokencdplayer,
A TI-83+ is fine. Most people don't ever use all the functions on their fancy calculators even through calculus, but if you could find an ancient HP-11 I'd buy it used. They don't do the graphing stuff, but they will last you your entire career, have a wonderful feel and perhaps the best form factor of any scientific calculator ever made.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:23 pm
I just went back and check the feature list.... the TI-83 is more then fine for a calculator.

I am a bit curious about what people use these fancy calculators for anyway. Ninety nine percent of what I use a calculator for is multiplication, division and trig functions.

Any non-trivial statistics is much easier to do on a computer (and you don't generally do these in class anyway). As is graphing, I had a graphing calculator which I played around with... but I don't think I have ever done anything useful with this capability on a calculator.

Calculators are for basic arithmetic. Anything else should be done on computers, which are now ubiquitous.

Does anyone, even in an advanced calculus class, use anything more in a calculator that can't be found on the model I bought recently at CVS for $12.99?

((Strangely enough, as math classes get more advanced, the need to do any actual calculation gets rarer and rarer))
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:15 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Quote:
Which calculator is best for upper level math?

The ball of blubber that sits atop my shoulders.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 01:56 pm
@ebrown p,
Just to second eb, if you don't need the graphing functions to meet class requirements, the old standby TI-30xa will do the trick for $10.
0 Replies

brokencdplayer

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
well I ended up buying a TI-89 on eBay for 40 dollars. the owners manual wasn't included so I'm hoping I can download that somewhere.
0 Replies