Teen lonely

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:06 pm
I need an immediate answer to my 17 yr old needs ..... he has no friends... he needs friends ...... we are new to this city and he knows no one. where do I go to help with out looking like a corny mom watching her son dwindle away with sorrow....... someone respond !!
Resond to [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 10
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:14 pm
@roscoedog,
Oh, that sounds sad. I guess if it were me, I'd try to find some sort of youth center or something.
As his mom, you can't really help him make friends when he's seventeen years old, but you can help him find places to be where there are other kids his age, so at least he has something to do and someplace to go instead of sitting home by himself.

Most cities have some sort of youth center, don't they? I know they do over here. It's just a gathering place where they have sponsored activities that appeal to kids . Look in the yellow pages or call the town municipal center and see what's available.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:22 pm
@roscoedog,
Is he athletic?

join a YMCA.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:12 am
@roscoedog,
Does he have any hobbies, if so join a club, some after school activities or something like that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:27 am
I think he should look for a job -- that's always a great way to meet people, especially if he's kind of shy and has a hard time putting himself out there in different situations. With a job he has some place to go and people to interact with.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:12 am
Joining any sports team would help to make friends,
music or theater groups and anything else offered through school.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@roscoedog,
This is a tough one, but I would do nothing. He's 17 and soon you won't be able to hold his hand for him. Toss a few ideas his way and let him run with them. That "get a job" recommendation sounded pretty good. In a couple of months he'll be in school (assuming he hasn't graduated) and he'll be the new guy and get plenty of attention. I'm sure it was hard to leave his old friends behind, but this could be a good growing opportunity for him. Of course that doesn't make it any easier to watch.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:47 am
Tell him
"If its to be, its up to me"
0 Replies

Braindamaged

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:40 pm
Im soon turning 15, and i can kinda imagine how it would be having no friends.. No people around my place, has an interest in rap, so i stay alot for myself, and i'm actually fine with being alot by myself.

I guess as a mom, you just wanna do ur best, but i think, that you should just like... let it flow.. you know? Smile
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
@Braindamaged,
When I was fifteen I was one alone kid, none that I knew of in the neighborhood and my school was quite far away, two bus trips.
The day I turned sixteen, I got a job at the local hospital, and my life turned interesting.

I don't know if that is possible anymore, but something like that, or volunteering, could be a good entrance to real life.
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:26 am
@roscoedog,
Tell him to spend time doing the things in which he is good that may be anything like painting, photography, dancing, cooking, etc.
Best way is to go out know the new world the people around and friends will be automatically going to happen.
Life is nothing if you are waiting for right things to happen , you have to do efforts to make it right.
0 Replies