Just add water: Do you have a favorite public water fountain?

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:12 am
Quote:
Inspired by this week's NY Times online photograph slideshow, I was wondering if you have a favorite local water fountain that you gather around on rare or frequent occasions like lunch during work days or picnics on one's days off.

http://i26.tinypic.com/6efdhu.jpg
CITY HALL PARK FOUNTAIN
LOWER MANHATTAN, 1871

Jacob Wrey Mould, a designer with a rococo flair, sculptured this fountain from granite, but it was dismantled in 1920 and moved to Crotona Park in the Bronx, where it languished until City Hall Park was renovated in 1999. Then came the big drought. When the city shut all its fountains from the fall of 2001 until April 2003, this one was the first to be repurposed as a planter. That experiment has become a custom during Christmas season.
Credit: Richard Perry/The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/07/16/nyregion/0718fountain_slideshow.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,950 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's a beautiful fountain, but my favorite still is Yosemite Falls when it has a good rainy period as it is this year. The only one more beautiful is one on the African Continent, which country I don't remember.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 07:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nothing comes to mind locally here in Albuquerque; there's one we designed that's a water fall and set of ponds up in northern california that I like, but I'd have to search for the photos. Can't think of any in Los Angeles parks, etc., though again, I designed a bunch for people's gardens, most of which I liked, at least at the time. But... my favorite fountains ever, ever, ever, are any of several in Rome. I bet that's not a surprise.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:57 am
The Fort Worth Water Garden is an amazing place you have to experience to get the full effect. I've seen a lot of fountains all over Sweden and five other countries in Europe, as well as many in the United States. This place, like no other, invokes the feeling of natural waterfalls and is my favorite.

When my dad lived in Arlington many years ago, he took me here on one of my visits to him. It was a very hot, steamy day and we sat in the bowl of the falls like this couple is doing and watched the sunset and all the lights in the water garden twinkle on. Like everything else in Texas, this place is huge!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N-QKqkY56lw/S09llEEPbNI/AAAAAAAABCw/LmE7rG1QDjo/s400/waterg.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Forth_Worth_Water_Gardens_2003.jpg/400px-Forth_Worth_Water_Gardens_2003.jpg

This video gives you a bit of what the environment is like at the center of the fountain:

This video shows you the other fountains in the same water garden:

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
when I lived in KC, Mo, my then girlfriend took me around to many cool fountains scattered around the northland. it was surprising how many there were...

on the Kansas side, not so much.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 06:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
That really is an impressive field of fountains Butrflynet! Very Happy
0 Replies