The Ronald Reagan story.

au1929

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:12 pm
Has anyone seen the Ronald Reagan story on TV? I can understand the reason for the republicans reluctance to have it shown. Reagan comes off like to use a Jewish term a Nebish. {something like Jackie Gleason's poor soul}. Nancy on the other hand seems to be the wicked witch of the west. For those who had the stomach to watch it what do you think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 21
No top replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:21 pm
I was warned against it but managed to catch a few minutes on the hotel tv. . . it was. . . odd. :-) I agree with your Nancy-as-wicked-witch assessment. . .

Of course, I was born during Reagan's second term, so I know hardly anything about him except as he is now, and I agree it was a rather inappropriate way to "memorialize" a man who is slowly dying and who was, after all, a president. . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:13 pm
Nancy wasn't exactly the warm, affectionate first lady -- her children were alienated for years and I don't believe there was ever any real reconciation no matter what they say. Give anyone that amount of power and watch their personality change. I thought from what little I saw that it was the typical, condescending TV biodrama. Since I had personal experience with Ronnie in his SAG Hollywood days, I can safely way he wasn't a mental giant and was rarely cognitive of what was going on around him. A very isolated personality. Whether this is an attribute or a detriment for a President is your assessment.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:15 pm
Tehe. . . doesn't seem to hurt, anyway ;-)

Would you say, LW, though, that he was best served by James Brolin?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
LW
Quote:
I can safely way he wasn't a mental giant and was rarely cognitive of what was going on around him. A very isolated personality.

That is exactly the way he was portrayed in the movie. His luck was he was president of the US and not the CEO of a large company. It makes you wonder first Reagan and now Bush.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:26 pm
Best served? No more so then the many female impersonators of Babs or the unauthorized bios of Martha Stewart, the imitations of Reagan, Bush, Clinton and many other presidents on Saturday Night Live, or Nixon in the movie "All The President's Men."
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:28 pm
Hehe. . . true. . . I was just more asking whether, with LW's experience both with Reagan and with films, whether that was the ideal choice :-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:29 pm
There was no portrayal of "Nixon" in "All the President's Men," so perhaps you're thinking of the movie "Nixon" or the TV movie "The Final Days?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:30 pm
Actually I thought Brolin had the speech and body language pegged but there were a few moments when it looked like he was tempted to parody.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:32 pm
Unfortunately, that was the impression I got from him even in the ADS, so going in I think I was a bit biased. . .

But I seem to always think James Brolin is smirking at me :-)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:35 pm
It makes you wonder what it takes to be the president of the US. From the looks of it certainly not an overwhelming amount of brain power. .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
reagan was either an idiot or a brilliant person playing an idiot..but then he never was a very good actor.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
dyslexia
He was exactly what the party wanted him to be. Someone who could present an image and be lead around by the nose. Sound familiar?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:50 pm
um, thinking
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:15 pm
The Presidency is the prime example of the Peter Principal.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:19 pm
I did catch the beginning which I had missed and there were characterizations -- what does one expect from a dramitization of anything? The actors are still portraying characters and it doesn't really matter if they were real or not. Neither Ronald nor Nancy came off as anything other than ordinary people put into extraordinary circumstances. In the end, we are all really ordinary people.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:47 pm
I laughed out loud at the scene where the children, led by Nancy, chanting "Just Say NO!", was followed by a quick cut to Patti, stoned on the couch, saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:36 am
Lightwizard
Ordinary people. Not like any "ordinary" people I have ever encountered. He like a child and not a bright one at that and Nancy as an unfeeling scheming shrew.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
I didn't have the stomach to watch it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
So you only know extraordinary people, au?
0 Replies