littlek

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually, autoimmune stuff has been explored in connection with migraines.
talk72000

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
That is why I think people who are not aware of their condition might lump it with migraines. Many people with allergies and other ailments may be eating stuff that throws their system out of whack may develop headaches and think it is migraine. It is best to see a doctor to check whatever ailments they may have hidden and live accordingly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:37 pm
@littlek,
I mildly know about the type 1 stuff because we had a tech who worked on the primo Wash U team years ago. Not to diminish her, no way, but she tended to clothe herself in retro - I'm forgetting the words - those 50's flaring skirts with appliques in felt? and posh heels - I'm thinking Ferragamo but maybe a name starting with P. We never talked 'lab', so I have no take except that I remember her being forthright.

Despite my rambling about clothes, I'm always interested in autoimmunity aspects/implications. Maybe especially re migraines.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 07:03 pm
Littlek, or anyone else that gets migraines I have a question. Not all of my migraines do this but the one I had yesterday did. I feel like my brain is not connecting to my body. I will be typing (I got the headache at work from someone using a spicy cinnamon air thingy in the wall) and I think I am typing correctly but I'm not. I needed to type Tag SO with # on a sales order. It came out WOPT SO. I feel like there's a hesitation from my thoughts to my body. That is not explained very well but it's the best way I know how to describe it.
littlek

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 01:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella, it could definitely be a migraine thing. Of course, if it's new to you, you should let your doctor know about it because it may be attributable to something else, too.

The book cites the feeling you describe as well as stronger feelings like that one's arm does not belong to the body it's attached to or like you have phantom appendages. I always have disruption in typing skills during/after migraines - but not writing skills, oddly.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
@littlek,
It's not a new thing to me but not all of my migraines cause it. Actually, the ones that cause this are not as painful as the ones that don't. My typing is back but I still feel a bit of hesitation in my thoughts. I will be fine come tomorrow morning for work though. I rarely write so I don't know if that would get messed up like my typing. I'll have to find out if and when I get another one of those headaches.
littlek

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
It sounds like an aura-type thing.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
When I ate 10 or more oranges as a kid I nearly fainted. There seemed to be sparks all over and the world seemed to spin.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:09 pm
@talk72000,
Wow! When I get the extremely painful migraines I will see yellow spots at the onset. The minute I see those spots I take something fast! I think the painful headaches are easier for me to handle than the ones where my brain feels so disjointed. That is a terribly uncomfortable feeling.

Can you eat oranges okay now (a moderate amount)?
talk72000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't have migraines. I just ate too many oranges that day and that was the effect.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@talk72000,
Oh! I'm sorry. I misunderstood. That had to be quite frightening though?
talk72000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
I think I blacked out and when I came to I could feel my stomach burping with gas. I knew it was the acid from the oranges. It was maybe a few seconds. I can't remember what I did then. Maybe I drank some water or ate some cheese or peanuts to neutralize the acid. From that time on I never ate too much of anything.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:43 pm
@talk72000,
And that gas can hurt! I always thought it so strange that air can hurt like that.
talk72000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
Didn't you ever burp a lot when you eat a dinner with too many tomatoes? I notice when I eat dinners with to many acid vegetables like tomatoes I burp for quite a lot till I eat peanut butter to neutralize the acid. It is not painful just inconvenient.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:47 pm
@talk72000,
I am being treated for an ulcer so I burp alot! Sometimes the pain is really bad but antacid usually gets rid of it pretty quick. I watch what I eat and don't take in too many things with acid.
talk72000

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:51 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yeah ulcer hurts. I don't have ulcer. I was told ulcer affects mostly those who hold back on their anger which trigger adrenalin in the system and maybe acid in the stomach.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:24 pm
Aha!

It just dawned on me that there may be a familial link. I am the only one with migraines (even accounting for the lack of use of the term - no one even has/had bad headaches in my family). No one has/had epilepsy (they're related and found often in family clusters). But what my family has in abundance is restless leg (mom, bother sisters and me). Knowing that this is a neurological disorder and that medicine for restless leg medication is often the same as prescribed for epilepsy, I looked it up online and there is indeed a joint origin (they stem from the same basis, gene).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17258401
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:26 pm
@littlek,
So restless leg syndrome is related to migraines? I learn so much on A2K! My mom and my grandmother both suffer from migraines so the doctors figured I just inherited them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:31 pm
Arella, The book I'm reading is dated, but back then there was no proof of migraines being genetic. More recently there has been some proof.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:01 pm
@littlek,
I had a doozy most of the day.

my paternal grandfather suffered from them as well...