littlek

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:42 pm
@Thomas,
I was wondering how it was distinguished from bile. Smell/taste explains it. And, that seems oddly familiar. I think it may have happened to me before after dry-heaving migraines of a long, long time ago.
littlek

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:43 pm
@Rockhead,
gall vomit has happened to you too, rockhead?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:44 pm
@littlek,
a lot as a kid.

coming back now on occasion as a symptom of something else.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
@littlek,
Ah, well that's good k in that they aren't as severe - but still a head hurt you could do without. Drink much water girlie....and try the cold compress on your head if you can. Nasty for you. Wishing you well k. Healing thoughts. x
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:47 pm
@Rockhead,
yep, MaMa's was like bile - ugh, oy vey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
So, if you culminate with a vomit (stomach/digestive) your headache (neuro/vascular) will go away in a positive feedback.

Ok, now you've made me look up "bile". As I understand the dictionary, the English word "gall" usually refers to the organ (Galle), whereas "bile" refers to the fluid produced by the organ (Gallenflüssigkeit). In German, Galle can serve as a shorthand for Gallenflüssigkeit. So I guess the answer to your question is that there is no distinction at all.
littlek

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:58 pm
@Thomas,
I thought that bile was the liquid made by the gall after it had been mixed with other stomach fluids .... looking it up too....

Yep, it's the same thing!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
Sci Am has many articles on migraines..... http://www.scientificamerican.com/search/index.cfm?q=migraine&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit

Genetic link for migraines with auras: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=researchers-uncover-genet
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
@Izzie,
It is sugar in the chocolate for diabetics.
littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:01 pm
@talk72000,
It's the sugar in the chocolate that causes migraines?
talk72000

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:44 pm
@littlek,
Her mom has diabetes Type II and sugar brings headaches to these diabetics.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
Here is a site that lists possible migraine triggers. If I stay away from the foods with tyramine I'm usually okay. The weather changes give me awful headaches though.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/migraine-trigger.html
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:25 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:
Her mom has diabetes Type II and sugar brings headaches to these diabetics.

Confirm. I have type-II diabetes, and I get headaches (just regular ones) when my blood sugar level gets too high.
littlek

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:50 pm
@Thomas,
I think that excess sugar thickens the blood. Maybe that has something to do with it?
talk72000

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@littlek,
Diabetics cannot process the sugar as insulin is either insufficient or the cells are not accepting the insulin. Sugar is poison inside the body. Excess sugar damages organs that is why many diabetics lose their legs, get blind, have kidney damage, etc.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:40 pm
the visual migraines are quite the trip. thankgod i only had a handful in my lifetime. when combined with the skull-crushing pain, it pretty much leaves one wanting to jump out of own skin...and then beat it with a stick. but the visuals i can recall months and years later, so powerful.

there is migraine art- many artists try to capture the migraine aura, the blotches and spots, blurriness....fascinating stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/02/28/opinion/20080222_MIGRAINE_SLIDESHOW_2.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:08 pm
Auras are a trip - they're scary and fascinating at the same time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:22 pm
@talk72000,
Type I can have anti insulin receptor antibodies..
(tangent to migraine talk, just adding info)
talk72000

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Type I needs insulin injections or whatever method available while Type II means not having enough insulin produced by the body. It is controlled by diet. It is a hidden disease as many overweight people may have it and not know. The first sign is frequent urination and tiredness.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:24 pm
@talk72000,
There is an autoimmune element to type 1, trust me on that, or don't, look it up. But, as I said, a tangent.

We are talking about headaches, and I gather that is related to type 2.

No idea what that has to do with migraines, but I'm still interested in how that happens re sugar metabolism. Maybe a spinoff thread.

On Sacks, I'm just finding out about his Musicophilia book.