Ethics of Emergencies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:31 pm
@Arjuna,
Sorry we do not agree as fate is just what I think is the only moral way to decide the issue.

To do otherwise mean that your ability to murder another human should decide the issue.

It is fate if someone win the lottery who purchased a ticket one second before you and even if you need or can made a case that you deserve this windfall more does not mean you are morally able to steal those winnings.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:36 pm
@Arjuna,
Quote:
There's nothing righteous about dying for someone else unless death is what you wanted. There is no right answer to the question.

Not killing a human being is the righteous thing to do (your death is an unfortunate side effect). There no way to argue that murder is morally correct (in any modern Western standpoint).

Very clearly not murdering is the right answer to the question. If the choice is between murdering and dying... then dying is the clear "correct" answer.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:02 pm
In my opinion the correct answer would be to throw the plank some feet away and both individuals make a run for it, this given they have an equal fair chance to get it.

In case of a different percentage of chance on survival, the plank should stay with the stronger if the rescue is improbable or time delayed, and the opposite, if it is probable and expected to be quick.

So, as everything else in life, it depends.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
@ebrown p,
I see what you're saying. It never actually crossed my mind that killing the other person would be the morally correct answer.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@Arjuna,
It depends on the person... Laughing don´t you think ?
Arjuna

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

It depends on the person... Laughing don´t you think ?
It feels that way sometimes. Very Happy
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:32 pm
I think that, right or wrong, I would save my own skin first of all. I'm just being honest and realistic, though. I'm not necessarily proud of that fact.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
@Night Ripper,
You shouldn't be
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You shouldn't be

Who asked you? If you're not going to add to this discussion then mind your own business. If you were the other guy on the plank, I'd definitely take it now.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:28 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

You shouldn't be

Who asked you? If you're not going to add to this discussion then mind your own business. If you were the other guy on the plank, I'd definitely take it now.

You asked in your first post when you started this silly thread. I did add to the discussion. I pointed out that you should be, by your own admission, ashamed to take the stance that you did.

So, you would kill me if I was on the plank? Your moral fibre is without equal, apparently. I certainly hope you are not making a cyber threat.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 11:39 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

I think that, right or wrong, I would save my own skin first of all. I'm just being honest and realistic, though. I'm not necessarily proud of that fact.

You can't even answer the questions that you pose.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 11:51 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
You can't even answer the questions that you pose.

Wow, you're really bitter aren't you? It's quite pathetic that you're following me around just to make snide little comments that add nothing to the discussion.

I think it's kind of pointless to ask a question and then answer it myself. I already know what I think. I'm asking what other people think. Anyways, please get over whatever issue you have or I will be forced to ignore you.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm
@Night Ripper,
You don't give a rats ass what other people think. That is quite evident throughout this silly thread of yours.

The thing that surprises me most is that anybody, including me, actually took the time to post on this thread.

I hope you are not one of those Philo people because you will give them a bad rap if you are. If not, I suppose you are just another crackpot that came along.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You don't give a rats ass what other people think. That is quite evident throughout this silly thread of yours.

The thing that surprises me most is that anybody, including me, actually took the time to post on this thread.

I hope you are not one of those Philo people because you will give them a bad rap if you are. If not, I suppose you are just another crackpot that came along.

You're clearly more interested in having immature little spats than you are actually discussing the issues so welcome to my ignore list.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
@Night Ripper,
What issues? You haven't presented any. It is my pleasure to be on your ignore list. I am sure you are on many yourself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Being quite stronger than the other person you can easily take it from them but they will drown in turn.

If I'm so strong, I have a few options that would result in both of us surviving, so I'm not going to worry about this too much. I can swim to shore by myself and get help for the weaker person on the board. I can have the weaker person hold onto me, while I hold onto the board and kick-stroke to shore for both of us.

Lots of alternatives.

Of course, this doesn't address the live or die question.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do in a crunch. I suspect my survival instinct is stronger than my sense of altruism, but I could be wrong.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:22 pm
@Night Ripper,
If you really are the stronger person - no worries this person will drown before you and then you get the plank.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:24 pm
@Night Ripper,
Ah they have the plank. I'd go over and hold it too - and then you both begin to sink, but he is weaker so he sinks on his own and the plank is yours.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat, I was thinking about you (in part) when I referenced the survival instinct. I think someone with young children could easily put that into their calculation of what to do. If I had young kids at home, and I was reasonably sure the other person didn't, I don't think I'd give a second thought to making sure I survived.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Wow, you're really bitter aren't you? It's quite pathetic that you're following me around just to make snide little comments that add nothing to the discussion.

Don't flatter yourself: I don't go around following you. I am interested in ethics, and I would have looked in this thread even if you hadn't authored it. I didn't post until now, however, because the question you posed isn't very interesting. Hell, ebrown got the right answer in the second post, and he doesn't even believe in morality.

Night Ripper wrote:
Anyways, please get over whatever issue you have or I will be forced to ignore you.

Everyone who disagrees with you eventually ends up on your ignore list. It's a fate to which I have become resigned.