OMG Arizona is Right AGAIN!

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:55 am
Quote:
Arizona Halts Photo Enforcement of Speed Laws

PHOENIX — At the first tick of the clock Friday, an array of automated cameras on Arizona freeways aimed at catching speeders were to stop clicking.

There is no glitch. The state, the first to adopt such cameras on its highways in October 2008, has become the first to pull the plug, bowing to the wishes of a vocal band of conservative activists who complained that photo enforcement intruded on privacy and was mainly designed to raise money
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/us/16camera.html?hp

First the immigration law, and now this! I am totally ditching my previous low opinion of the leadership of this state.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,810 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:58 am
@hawkeye10,
NM recently outlawed red light cameras. Seems they were everything about revenue, and nothing about safety. Sometimes they were even counterproductive.
engineer

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:04 am
@roger,
In NC, all the proceeds must go to education so local government can't make money from them. In town here, the rate of accidents at intersections with cameras dropped dramatically, so I can see some good. Cameras on major highways seem silly.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@engineer,
Red light cameras are still in use up here in Canada, but the highway speed cameras were dropped a few years ago after only a year or 2 in service.
0 Replies