Might asians, and jews be smarter?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:50 pm
@Thomas,
It would be an interesting test. I wonder though whether it would be taken seriously.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:56 pm
Jews have since generations been forced to learn, as they often were prosecuted in the country where they lived. They could not buy land, their richness was their knowledge. That they could take along, land they could not. They have been used to learning and how to use this knowledge in another country. This is part of intellegens. This they also have been teaching their children.
Are they smarter than others in all areas or in some areas?
Asians - as far as I have heard - are very ambitius. This combined with intellegens make them go ahead in life. Are they smarter than other in all areas?
What about farmers who did not need to become smart by reading books are they less smart than the others? No, they are not - just that their intellegens has been concentrated in other areas.
We have a tendency to think that a person who is very good in one area must be very intellegent. Personally I think intellegens is a combination of so many things and we can be really good in one area and rather stupid in other areas.
Intillegens combined with ambition of course will bring you further in life than a maybee higher intelligens and lack of ambition will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
@Thomas,
I'm Asian, and I have never seen such a study. However, my observations living on the west coast have provided me with plenty of opportunities to make some pretty good guesses.

My siblings and I, many friends and acquaintances, are third generation Americans. Even in our social circle who live in the San Francisco Bay Area are mostly third generation Americans. Here's the breakdown of my family and friends as of today:
Older brother - Administrative Judge in CA
Younger brother - ophthalmologist and state legislator
Younger sister - RN
Current circle of friends:
Jack - physicist
Sumi - works for brother who owns import company
Willi - accountant
Anne - teacher
Joe - was manager of auditors for state Savings & Loan
Fumi - piano teacher
Gene - physical therapist
Marge - physical therapist
Shirley - teacher
Kiyo - teacher

My younger brother's children:
Oldest daughter - ophthalmologist
Second daughter - PhD in Special Education
Son - attorney

My sister's children:
Two oldest - physicians
Third son - dentist
Youngest, daughter - PhD in Chemistry

Our children:
Oldest - Masters (with honors) from UoT, now works for university
Youngest - graduated cum laude

As I have also mentioned earlier, Asian income is one of the highest on average

I'm also aware that new immigrants from Asia also do very well in school. Most PhD's in Engineering and the sciences are given to Asians (I'm not sure whether they are Americans or from Asia)

If my observations are wrong, I would like to be corrected.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:13 am
As of 2008, Asian American households had the highest median income at $65,637, however 11.8 percent of Asians were in poverty in 2004, higher than the 8.6 percent rate for non-Hispanic whites. Much of this poverty is concentrated in ethnic enclaves such as Chinatowns in the cities[
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 09:21 pm
I believe the statistics would show that in the U.S. the Jews that are the professionals tend to be Ashkenazi. That correlates to having genes that likely reflects some mixing with either Germans or Russians.

Sephardic Jews are smart; however, they are known to be businessmen, not the professionals that many Ashkenazi Jews seem to gravitate to?

So, the German/Russian DNA, mixed with the Jewish culture of achievement, might be a potent mix?

I do not think Jews, as pure Semites, would show any intellectual advantage.

By the way, in pre-Christian Europe there might have been more Jewish mixing with Germans/Russians than one might believe?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:35 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

I after listening to Steven pinker ` s talk on the blank slate, and reading the article "are we evolving" in the recent edition of discovery. It seems there is good reason to think intelligence, and temperament are inner. In the discovery article, human evolution seem to be speeding up in the last 10, 000 years, and the author say most of these genotypes are probable selected for by occupations. When people started to build cities, there is less need for people to be farm, and thus, free up a lot of people to do all sorts of things. As the population in the cities increased, there is also need for increase in intelligence, according to the "social brain hypothesis"( see another thread of mine). In the discovery article, there is also two interesting examples. The jews are probable smart, because they were sort of forced into business, and trade. The jews also have an academic tradition of studying the bible. One way for jews to gain status in the community is to distinguish themselves in the study of the talmud. In short, the jewish academic tradition is a very real thing. The author also give the example of ancient chinese implementing the manderin system. A system that is sort of like the modern day standardized exam. Regardless of class, anyone that can pass the exam was given a job by the government, and these people in turn of have children. These two example could probable explain why jews, and Asians are so good in scholastic achievements.

But what about tap dance? Can Asians and Jews tap dance?

And what about the Irish and their tricky way of winning numerous literary prizes? Have you ever seen an Irishman who couldn't dance and who couldn't write poetry?

How's about some more stereotypes to warm our hearts and souls?

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:40 am
@TuringEquivalent,

Quote:
Asian parents have high expectations.

Would these pressures increase suicide rates among Asian-American college students?
Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:54 am
Intermarriage among selected ethnnic groups may increase IQ or common intelligence,but please do not forget all those nasty recessive genes that are encouraged to propagate and increase the incidence of various genetic disorders such as Tay-Sachs, breast cancer and ovarian cancer as a result.

It's more important to be healthy than to have the highest SAT score in the US.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:30 am
@Miller,
In a word, yes. That's the reason why in places like Japan, when the student who studies every day, but doesn't get into the best college will commit suicide.
Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:39 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

O.K. Jewish women are not as romantic as Christian women. Italian and Jewish women dedicate their lives to their children after becoming a mother. Jewish men do not feel that all women are less intelligent than men, in general; some Protestant men do.
Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:41 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:

Would these pressures increase suicide rates among Asian-American college students?

The high expectations of Asian parents lowers the suicide rate amongst Hispanics, since Hispanics then do not feel the pressure of competing against Asians at school.
Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:52 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Intermarriage among selected ethnnic groups may increase IQ or common intelligence,but please do not forget all those nasty recessive genes that are encouraged to propagate and increase the incidence of various genetic disorders such as Tay-Sachs, breast cancer and ovarian cancer as a result.

It's more important to be healthy than to have the highest SAT score in the US.

Nyet! Jewish couples get tested for Tay-Sachs, before marriage! If both have the Tay-Sachs gene, they either do not get married, or make other plans for a family. If the ultra-Orthodox do not get tested for Tay-Sachs, I do not know. I am only talking about the vast majority of Jews that do get tested.

Also, the plain vanilla American culture promulgated the preference for a guy to marry a girl that was attractive and feminine. In other words, very little thought was usually given to marrying a smart girl, historically. So, in my opinion, the general population is very suited to populate the country with "cute" kids. (So, why are so many of the Orthodox children really "beautiful"? To the point that many local Christians are aware of this phenomenon? Could this be a survival mechanism for the children, in case parents died, someone would always care for such a beautiful child?)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

In a word, yes. That's the reason why in places like Japan, when the student who studies every day, but doesn't get into the best college will commit suicide.

And I guessed it was to compensate for the fact that there were no more kamikazee pilot positions available. Who knew?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:31 am
@Foofie,
Your juvenile response shows how "grown up" you are. And Jews are supposed to be smart? LOL
Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your juvenile response shows how "grown up" you are. And Jews are supposed to be smart? LOL

Younger than spring time am I.
talk72000

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:50 am
@Foofie,
Movie: South Pacific Cast: Rossano Brazzi, Mitzi Gaynor, John Kerr, France Nuyen

Song: Younger than spring time am I with John Kerr and France Nuyen
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:05 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Quote:

The high expectations of Asian parents lowers the suicide rate amongst Hispanics, since Hispanics then do not feel the pressure of competing against Asians at school.

Please give a reference for your comments concerning Hispanic suicide rates.
Are you Hispanic?
Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We also see this in the Boston area, because of the pressures of attending schools like MIT and Harvard.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

O.K. Jewish women are not as romantic as Christian women. Italian and Jewish women dedicate their lives to their children after becoming a mother. Jewish men do not feel that all women are less intelligent than men, in general; some Protestant men do.

And what's this thing (!) about blond big breasted women?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Render wrote:
Well while it is true that Jews and Asians have been tested for considerably higher average iq scores,
this may be because of other socioeconomic factors that have also been shown to impact intellegence(iq).
WHICH factors ?

Have you not noticed that doing well on an IQ test requires the individual in question to be absolutely ANAL? Could ANALITY be genetically determined?
Is there an ASS gene?
0 Replies