• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:13 pm
@greener ,
(Warning: I'm a tinkerer - backyard mechanic ..so some inexpert advise follows.)

Verify this info with some of the gear-heads that will wander by here soon.

Worn or leaking rings can be checked with a compression gauge. If this sounds like it is beyond your expertise level, I'd go to a qualified mechanic. Variations in pressure in excess of 25% per cylinder indicates a somewhat expensive repair problem (valve or piston?). Overall lower (below 25% of mfr specs for all cylinders, I believe) indicates worn out rings. Verify this with a mechanic. Bad rings mean a major engine overhaul.

Are you sure you are burning it versus leaking it? Have you checked your driveway for leaks. When you drive, is oil or some smoke blowing out the tail pipe? Are you seeing blue smoke or black smoke? Oil blowing straight through unburned from the engine might indicate worn valve seats. There may be oil getting past the intake manifold gaskets.

Here's an example that might be of some use: I had a bad valve seat scenario when i lived up north in the winter months. I could see at start-up for the first few minutes some blackish smoke. After it warmed up, the smoke disappeared.after it was repaired, the oil consumption problem disappeared.

Here are some (admittedly guesses) from other possibilities:

Wrong PCV valve?

“Make sure the correct PCV valve is in it. Make sure the correct oil is used, (for example, my Honda CR-V needs 5W30). There may be oil getting past the intake manifold gaskets.”

Pollution control issue/Catalytic converter?
0 Replies