Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I'd hate to hear your definition of a jackass of a man.

well there's abe for a start Wink
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:33 pm
@djjd62,
hee hee Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
How dare he call us liars! djjd62, I think you should carve up Abe's ass with your pirate knife and defend the women of A2k from his slander.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
How dare he call us liars! djjd62, I think you should carve up Abe's ass with your pirate knife and defend the women of A2k from his slander.

Oh for the good old days when a man such as the former President Jackson would kill anyone who insulted his wife on the field of honor.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:04 pm
@mismi,
Gee, there are two more pages since you posted this, Mismi, and I haven't read them yet. I can see your explanation and also chai's questioning as making sense, though I'm not equating your takes. Whether the raging (racist, antisemitic, misogynistic) stuff has a basis in early biases, that's not for me to know - maybe there are studies on all that, plus he seems to have carried on at least some of the biases. I start to think of a kid with a blank slate, inculcated early. Well, I would.

I have my own bias, as I now think myself as a near brainwashed rigid catholic of the fifties, though that is overdramatic. So far I don't see glimmers of recidivism on my part. I won't say Gibson's melieu in his youth was worse than my own (missionaries to dinner, eh; my dad working on movies for the fatima crusade) but I can see reverberations easily being part of what he was taught in the present scenario. I was lucky, my parents' near cult stuff wasn't antisemitic or racial.

I don't just assume the woman is all pure at heart. Still, cripes.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:05 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

I'd hate to hear your definition of a jackass of a man.

well there's abe for a start Wink

Not bad for a "girl". Laughing Laughing
djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:08 pm
@Intrepid,
Very Happy
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I predict that Gibson will get a pass from Hollywood, that they will conclude that he got tanged up with a bitch, which was not his fault.

People can understand getting involved with a bitch, feeling betrayed, feeling used, feeling angry, feeling hurt etc. That doesn't mean they can understand a man venting the degree of rage he displays in the manner he does it.

He's out of control, seething with hatred, threatening violence and harm, using racial and ethnic slurs, demanding that she service him sexually, verbally berating her in a vile manner, and revealing himself as a truly revolting person.

No matter what kind of negative impression people might have of her, he's the one who comes off sounding like a power crazed, bigoted, misogynistic, despicable, raving maniac. Even in Hollywood, you don't get a pass on that sort of thing. Who'd want to associate themselves with him, or one of his projects? His agent has dropped him. Another one won't pick him up. Whatever image he had is ruined.

Since his DWI arrest in 2006, when he went on his anti-Semitic and sexist rant with the police, Gibson's career has really shriveled up. People started backing away from him then. He's no longer the big movie star he was, the younger generation doesn't really know him. The last film he acted in was a flop. He hasn't directed any of his own films in the last four years. And, on the last tape that was released, Gibson is ranting about being broke and out of money. Depending on his cash flow problems, that may be true. And it might keep him from being able to finance his own projects.

As far as Hollywood is concerned, Gibson is damaged goods--badly damaged goods. With a foul stench.

This isn't just a domestic dispute where we see the guy has a nasty temper. With his various rants he's also managed to insult and offend Jews, women, Blacks and Latinos. He offended homosexuals years ago. About the only group he hasn't trashed is old white men. Forget Hollywood, the movie going public doesn't forgive and forget that easily. Many people who buy tickets and DVDs were offended, personally offended, by the bigoted crap that fell from his lips. It's going to be almost impossible not to think of his rants, and his attitudes, when they see the name Mel Gibson. And the name will turn off an awful lot of people.

Sometimes people like to see someone redeem themselves after a fall, and they will forgive and forget. I don't think that will happen with Gibson. He's offended, and horrified, too many people. He swore he would change in 2006, but, as we can all hear, nothing really changed. He's still a bigot who treats women in a disgusting, demeaning manner. Who's going to believe him when he does another mea culpa?

And this hasn't ended yet. More tapes may be leaked. The court case for custody is about to begin. He's being investigated for domestic violence and could wind up in jail. And who knows what else might happen.

BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:21 pm
@firefly,
First he is no longer for the most part in front of the cameras.

He produce movies not star in them of late and the personal lives of many great artists can be shameful and no one cares.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:26 pm
@firefly,
'Hollywood', so called (the reality) is many things, among them cold and cruel, especially if you are old-ish, which can start happening at thirty. Gibson may continue to have a following, more and more cultish.

Do I need to post creds? Two of my uncles were treasurers of major companies. I've read the hollywood periodicals, or did, for a decade or two. My birth was announced in them.

I think Gibson is toast. I don't foresee any happy answer to this, a little late for intervention - though I know less about psychology and psychiatry than I do about the mores of 'hollywood'. As I said, I also don't just swath clean the girlfriend, but if she was out there picking someone to pluck, she got trouble, if indeed she lost two teeth.
firefly

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:34 pm
@BillRM,
This isn't just a question of his personal behavior being shameful. He's actually offended and insulted many groups of people, including the people he needs to make his movies, and the people who buy tickets to see his movies. That's different than someone who simply has a shameful personal life.

He hasn't produced or directed a movie in four years. His career has been in decline since 2006 when people first got an idea of what he was like.

The fact that he says he is broke and out of money would keep him from being able to produce movies. And, who knows what sort of audience would want to see them after all of this?

I suspect he is one desperate man at this point in his life.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:53 pm
@firefly,
I don't want to look all this up, but his father's religion was pretty out there, not just liking the traditional old mass, which even I like in a sentimental way (me, who cried in anger at the church of Guadalupe, and later in the piazza san Pietro) and he bought it, and maybe still does, or at least has warring sides in his brain on it.

As I said, my old religion wasn't all antisemitic, racist, etc, though I'll grant misogynistic - and I'll add that it probably was, but that wasn't what I heard.
This guy heard different and bought it all. He's like a loaded pellet of spume.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:13 pm
@ABE5177,
Of course you agree with him. Of that I have no doubt.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
You know, osso, Gibson's age might be a factor in all sorts of ways. He is no longer the young handsome heartthrob he once was (and he really was a gorgeous guy), and he's got to deal with that on a personal level. It may be even harder for an aging matinee idol to come to grips with that sort of thing. His decompensation, which publicly began in 2006, coincided with his 50th birthday, and that's a biggie number for a lot of men. The mid-life crisis does cause some people to do crazy things. Apart from his arrest that year, and the ranting at the police station, he hooked up with the younger girlfriend and blew his long marriage. And his life, both personal and professional, seems to have been on a downhill slide since.

It's not too late for intervention, if he stays in therapy and quits drinking. The career may be toast, but he can salvage his personal life and move in a different direction.

And, according to the girlfriend's dentist, she didn't lose two teeth. Gibson knocked out one of her veneers and cracked another. The dentist took photos of her injuries, which are part of the domestic violence evidence against Gibson.
firefly

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, Gibson probably got anti-Semitism directly from his father. I wouldn't blame it all on the Catholic upbringing. Daddy, Hutton Gibson, is a Holocaust denier.

Quote:

Hutton Gibson is an outspoken critic of the post-Second Vatican Council Catholic Church and a proponent of various conspiracy theories. In a 2003 interview he questioned how the Nazis could have disposed of six million bodies during the Holocaust and claimed that the September 11, 2001 attacks were perpetrated by remote control. He has also been quoted as saying the Second Vatican Council was "a Masonic plot backed by the Jews".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gibson garnered widespread outrage when remarks questioning how the Nazis could have disposed of six million bodies during the Holocaust were printed in a March 2003 New York Times Magazine article.

In his interview for the article, he dismissed historical accounts that six million Jews were exterminated: "Go and ask an undertaker or the guy who operates the crematorium what it takes to get rid of a dead body," he said. "It takes one liter of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, six million?"

Across the table during the interview, his wife, Joye, who had been quiet for most of the visit, suddenly looked up and "cheerfully piped in 'There weren't even that many Jews in all of Europe,'"

"Anyway, there were more after the war than before", Hutton Gibson added.

"The entire catastrophe was manufactured, said Hutton, as part of an arrangement between Hitler and 'financiers' to move Jews out of Germany. Hitler 'had this deal where he was supposed to make it rough on them so they would all get out and migrate to Israel because they needed people there to fight the Arabs,' he said".

Gibson was further quoted as saying the Second Vatican Council was "a Masonic plot backed by the Jews" and that the September 11, 2001 attacks were perpetrated by remote control: "Hutton flatly rejected that Al Qaeda hijackers had anything to do with the attacks. 'Anybody can put out a passenger list,' he said". Gibson publicly questioned the extent of the Holocaust. One week before Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was released in American film theaters, he told radio talk show host Steve Feuerstein that the Holocaust was fabricated and "mostly fictional". He said that the Jews had simply emigrated to other countries rather than having been killed, a view which some observers described as Holocaust denial. He claimed that census statistics prove there were more Jews in Europe after World War II than before. Gibson said that certain Jews advocate a global religion and one world government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Gibson

With a father like that, it's not surprising that Mel Gibson is a bigot and an anti-Semite, and slightly crazy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:39 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And, according to the girlfriend's dentist, she didn't lose two teeth.
Gibson knocked out one of her veneers and cracked another.
The dentist took photos of her injuries, which are part of the domestic violence evidence against Gibson.
If he is guilty of that, it is a horrible DISGRACE.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:18 pm
Mel was playing Russian Roulette. Embarrassed
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:27 pm
@talk72000,
Your comment might be in a bit of poor taste, but it did make me chuckle. Very Happy
talk72000

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
I am that kind of guy. Laugh at any cost. Mr. Green Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:55 pm
@firefly,
Yeh, I get that, but he is some kind of inculcated son.
0 Replies