Why Race?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your posts are a turn off. So, my guess is that you don't care.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Crashing and burning would require my approach to not work in real life. I have found the opposite to be true.

Reminds me of Mr. Rogers: Can you say egotism, boys and girls?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:51 am
@plainoldme,
AEgoto-ism>.
snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:48 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Is there some meaning to your last post, besides some twisted re-spelling of a word?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:10 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Was that a phonetic rendering?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:45 pm
The following is from an article in Huffingtonpost that quotes from the Associated Press. I wanted to share it with A2K and assure everyone that

I IN NO WAY AGREE WITH WHAT JESSE JACKSON IS SAYING.

I SEE HIS REFERENCE TO SLAVERY AS TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. IT IS AN EXAMPLE OF A CASE WHERE I SEE RACE BEING USED WHEN THE ISSUE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE. I WANT TO REPEAT THAT – THIS IS A CASE IN WHICH I AM STATING FOR THE RECORD THAT RACE IS BEING RAISED WHEN RACE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

THIS SHOULD EFFECTIVELY FULFILL MY REQUIREMENT AS A BLACK PERSON TO WEIGH IN ON A STORY WHEREIN RACE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RAISED.

JESSE JACKSON IS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG TO RAISE RACE IN THIS CASE, AND THIS IS SNOOD GOING ON RECORD AS A BLACK PERSON SAYING I THINK RACE IS NOT AN ISSUE IN THIS STORY, AND SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RAISED.

(Did I mention that I think race wasn’t an issue here, and that I think Jackson was wrong to try to make it an issue here? Just making sure...
Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse Jackson: Dan Gilbert Sees LeBron James As 'Runaway Slave'

LeBron James might have left the Cavs for the Heat, but suddenly there's a lot more heat back in Cleveland.

According to the Associated Press, the Rev. Jesse Jackson is upset with an open letter written by Cleveland Cavs owner Dan Gilbert after his star player decided to move to Miami. The bitter comments directed toward the free agent sound like they're directed at a "runaway slave," according to Jackson.

Gilbert's letter, addressed to his team's fans, derided James as "narcissistic" and claimed that he "deserted" Cleveland.

The AP left messages for Gilbert, the Cavaliers, James and the NBA on Sunday night for reaction to Jackson, who said the comments in the letter "personify a slave master mentality" and that Gilbert should face a "challenge" from the league.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/11/jesse-jackson-dan-gilbert_n_642363.html?view=screen

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:12 am
What?!? No praise and encouragement from the peanut gallery, for taking such a bold stand on an issue and proclaiming it non-racial!?!

I'm mortified, and find that I may need to go into mourning seclusion to recover from the heinous slight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:27 am
Razz
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:37 am
<pausing a moment before going into mourning seclusion>
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@snood,
I agree with you snood (and trying to ignore the pseudo-righteous indignation).
Jesse Jackson is wrong for what he said.

I really don't know why you mention the 'requirement' part. I don't think anyone has ever required you to do anything on this board.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:01 pm
For anyone who cares about the current brouhaha going on about Jesse Jackson's comments about Cleveland Cavs owner Gilbert's comments, this is an excellent collection of some sports journalists' thoughts on the matter...

http://www.salon.com/news/lebron_james/index.html?story=/opinion/walsh/misc/2010/07/12/jesse_jackson_v_dan_gilbert
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:18 pm
I like Jesse Jackson, but I agree that he can make a few statements from time to time it is best to stay distanced from. One of the biggest criticisms I read about him is that he lives to get headlines. He explained once to me and a group of six more people that headlines are essential, because without constant exposure, your message gets lost to the public at large. That's why, on that day, when we did enough to get in the paper, we packed up our things and moved on.
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I like Jesse Jackson, but I agree that he can make a few statements from time to time it is best to stay distanced from. One of the biggest criticisms I read about him is that he lives to get headlines. He explained once to me and a group of six more people that headlines are essential, because without constant exposure, your message gets lost to the public at large. That's why, on that day, when we did enough to get in the paper, we packed up our things and moved on.

Yeah, that's the rap on him and a couple others like Sharpton - too much in love with the camera. but I have to temper my basic agreement with that with the knowledge that if people like him and sharpton hadn't been there to rabble rouse about some things, they would have completely escaped notice. And injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere - I think MLK said that.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:06 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I think MLK said that.
MLK was picked by a calling, Jesse Jackson picked a career, that is the difference.
0 Replies