The elephant in the room

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:43 pm
"Private messages temporarily suspended due to mass PM spam. We were open to discussion of alternative forums above-board but the underhanded attempts at recruiting were just not cool. To those uninvolved in the spam we apologize for the inconvenience and will restore access to PMs shortly"

I would have just PM'd Robert concerning this, but as you may have guessed, I couldn't. Also, I wanted to see what anyone knows concerning this incident. Hope I haven't overstepped my boundaries by opening a discussion concerning this, but I don't see what the harm is in having this out in the open.

Mass recruiting? PM spam? What happened? I'm thinking this had something to do with the new philosophy forum that was said to go up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,733 • Replies: 58

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@Zetherin,
Actually, you can contact Robert by clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom of every page. Smile
Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:49 pm
@jespah,
Ah, thanks.

I'm still interested in what everyone has to say regarding the matter, though.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:53 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

"Private messages temporarily suspended due to mass PM spam. We were open to discussion of alternative forums above-board but the underhanded attempts at recruiting were just not cool. To those uninvolved in the spam we apologize for the inconvenience and will restore access to PMs shortly"

I would have just PM'd Robert concerning this, but as you may have guessed, I couldn't. Also, I wanted to see what anyone knows concerning this incident. Hope I haven't overstepped my boundaries by opening a discussion concerning this, but I don't see what the harm is in having this out in the open.

Mass recruiting? PM spam? What happened? I'm thinking this had something to do with the new philosophy forum that was said to go up?

Zeth,

With all the due respect which you know I have for you, could you tell me what any of this has to do with philosophy and why this is of any importance? And why this (whatever it is) is going on interminably? What difference does it make if Thea and his ilk want to form a new philosophy forum- it that is what it is, rather than a social club and a mutual admiration society. They may not be interested in philosophy, if ever they were. But, aren't you interested in philosophy anymore?
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:53 pm
@Zetherin,
A whole lot has been said on the "PhilForum check in" thread. It starts around here:

http://able2know.org/topic/152716-23#post-4269087
Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Zeth,

With all the due respect which you know I have for you, could you tell me what any of this has to do with philosophy and why this is of any importance? And why this (whatever it is) is going on interminably?

Sorry, the only reason why I tagged it as philosophy is because I thought that this had to do with the new philosophy forum that I heard was going up.

It isn't that this thread is of great importance either, I just didn't have any other venue to discuss this incident with the former philosophy forum members.

I don't know what you mean by the interminably question.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

A whole lot has been said on the "PhilForum check in" thread. It starts around here:

http://able2know.org/topic/152716-23#post-4269087

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Zeth,

With all the due respect which you know I have for you, could you tell me what any of this has to do with philosophy and why this is of any importance? And why this (whatever it is) is going on interminably?

Sorry, the only reason why I tagged it as philosophy is because I thought that this had to do with the new philosophy forum that I heard was going up.

It isn't that this thread is of great importance either, I just didn't have any other venue to discuss this incident with the former philosophy forum members.

I don't know what you mean by your third question.

Discussing some plan, or whatever it is, to start a new philosophy forum has nothing to do with philosophy.
My third question is a rhetorical question. What I am saying is that I cannot understand why this issue is going on, and why anyone finds it worth discussing.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Discussing some plan, or whatever it is, to start a new philosophy forum has nothing to do with philosophy.
My third question is a rhetorical question. What I am saying is that I cannot understand why this issue is going on, and why anyone finds it worth discussing

It doesn't have anything to do with philosophy (I mentioned why I tagged it as such), but you don't find an incident involving former philosophy forum members which compelled Robert to shut down the PM's on his site worth discussing?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
My third question is a rhetorical question. What I am saying is that I cannot understand why this issue is going on, and why anyone finds it worth discussing

It doesn't have anything to do with philosophy (I mentioned why I tagged it as such), but you don't find an incident involving former philosophy forum members which compelled Robert to shut down the PM's on his site worth discussing?

Not on a philosophy site. But then, of course, many of those who join this forum would prefer to discuss anything else rather than philosophy. (Anyway, even if it is worth some discussion, but so much?!) Actually I would advocate just throwing those people off the forum. They don't want to be on the forum anyway.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin, one thing that might help is some context, which is that there has been OODLES and OODLES of discussion of this already. It makes sense that not everyone has seen all of that discussion, but when it comes up yet again, those of us who have been involved find it to be overkill.

I think if you read from the link I gave you (it's a lot to read!) a lot more will become clear. If you want some summaries, I'll do my best.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But then, of course, many of those who join this forum would prefer to discuss anything else rather than philosophy. (Anyway, even if it is worth some discussion, but so much?!)

yes, it's crazy, we live in the real world and like to discuss more than one subject

weird

i suppose i can understand why folks join single purpose forums (okay, i admit i can't), but there are ways to more or less block out the extraneous noise if one wants too
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:23 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you. From you link, I assume that only members engaging in mass spam are losing the privilage.

I suppose I could have tried to send someone a PM, but that would have been so mundane.
JPB

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:25 pm
@roger,
I don't think that's true, roger. Not for now, anyway. I think it's all the philo folk and any new members, at least while there's still dust to settle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:26 pm
@djjd62,
djjd, I think he's complaining about the ad nauseum rehash/ discussion of how A2K sucks, Philforum was better, Robert sucks for banning totally nice people and removing PM privileges, OK so they spammed but they didn't MEAN it, oh and A2K sucks, and maybe it's not so bad but seriously Philforum was like SO much better, etc., etc., etc.

And I'd agree with that.

I do get that not everyone reads everything though, so they don't necessarily realize the rehash aspect.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:27 pm
@roger,
Robert said something about only three people still being banned, but all recent members (?) (I can still PM) can't PM until the dust settles a bit since he doesn't know who will and won't do it and he can't keep playing whack-a-mole.
engineer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:28 pm
@sozobe,
I'm glad you posted that link. I had no idea that this stuff was going on.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:28 pm
@sozobe,
Embarrassed
if that's the case, disregard anything i might have said

unless it applies of course
Wink
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:43 pm
@djjd62,
Maybe we should start a thread with philosophy tags for those who are disregarded unless relavent. It would be troll heaven.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@GoshisDead,
If you really want privacy, tag it 'Lovetts' or 'Original Poetry'.
0 Replies