Need Tips for Seeing a Broadway Show

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
My wife is really interested in seeing a Broadway show for our anniversary. Finding the show seems to be really easy and there are plenty of one day guides on the Internet for things to do in NY, so my real question is where should I stay? You NY folks out there, is there an optimum place to stay at a reasonable price that has good access to the theaters and tourist areas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:27 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My wife is really interested in seeing a Broadway show for our anniversary. Finding the show seems to be really easy and there are plenty of one day guides on the Internet for things to do in NY, so my real question is where should I stay? You NY folks out there, is there an optimum place to stay at a reasonable price that has good access to the theaters and tourist areas?

Asking New Yorkers might not be the best approach, since New Yorkers do not stay at hotels; they live there. However, one usually pays for the location of being in midtown Manhattan. So, those hotels that are slightly out of the midtown area, but easy to get here or there by bus or subway and might be viable? Subway stations have free subway and bus maps to hand out. The bus map is an overlay on a street map, so they help one find one's way around. Just ask the metro card clerk. Also, there are one day bus/subway cards for a nominal cost. However, they cannot be used more than every 18 minutes, so one needs a card for every member of a group (the same 18 minutes applies on busses with the same card):

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/easyuse.htm#sub

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited (note where sold)

Possibly there is a travel forum, on the internet, that has prior nyc visitors with the experience of a specific hotel?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:27 am
See D's thread re: New York http://able2know.org/topic/145367-11#post-4195197

Or PM her Dlowan

Joe(she won't bite. or she won't hardly bite)Nation
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:26 pm
@Foofie,
Thanks for the input. I found some hotels that offer lodging and theater packages. I'm looking at the Park Central New York website in another tab and they seem to offer what I'm looking for but I don't know how the price will come down or if tickets are available for Wicked which is our first choice for a show to see.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:25 pm
Yes, your hotel can get them for you, but ask about it early. Reminder: no shows on Sunday.

Consider the Theater Row Restaurants, just off Broadway for inexpensive pre-theater dinners.

I've eaten at Joshua's a couple of times before the shows.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
@engineer,
Do you need a romantic kind of hotel or cheap/clean/cheerful?

If cheap/clean/cheerful is acceptable, I always recommend the SIHNYC. Seafarers' International House. It houses the Lutheran mission to the harbour. Last active seafarers' mission in NYC. There is a clientele of sailors there, receiving services of various types, usually a decent representation of German tourists and Lutherans from across the world (they advertise in Lutheran magazines).

It's affordable and has LOCATION !!!

It's just off Union Square near Broadway and 14th. The next block is Lee Strasberg Way - interesting little theatre stuff going on there. Often young actors draped around, waiting to audition.

Handy to subway - walking distance to theatre/shopping if you enjoy a city stroll. Some fabulous restaurants nearby and it's close to the Strand (awesome incredible bookstore). There is a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods within very short walking distance - so you can stock up on water/yogurt etc and keep them in a little room fridge.

I've stayed there 3 or 4 times in the last 5 / 6 years. A few other A2k'rs have stayed there (most recently JoefromChicago, I think). Walter Hinteler stayed there with us when we had a bit of an A2k get-together.

It looks like a regular hotel - with slightly more floor space in the double rooms than other hotels in the area that cost 3 - 5 x as much per night.
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks! I will check that out.
0 Replies