THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN US FOOTBALL AND WORLD FOOTBALL

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 10:54 am
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

That's really insolent. Because you're using a ligament without any opposable thumbs or even any movable appendages it requires a lot more control to keep the ball and make it go where you want it to. It requires an insane amount to be able to make sure other people don't take it. So while you don't need hand-eye coordination, that's because you have to play while not even looking at the ball, and then it requires an incredible amount of dexterity, precision, and control to make it do what you want it to. Also, despite popular belief, quite a lot of pushing goes on in soccer, and while it's not as valuable as it is in Football, it's definitely helpful.

Despite all this coordination, the sport still manages to be boring 90% of the time.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Only for those who find it boring.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:53 am
@roger,
In the NFL the ball is in play 11 minutes. Each player, offensive or defensive sees
five and a half minutes of action. Futbol players play 90 minutes per game, more than an NFL players during a whole season.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:28 am
@noinipo,
I have no idea where those figures come from, but I don't trust them. I've been watching NFL for 40 yrs and I think those figures are hogwash. How many NFL games have you ever watched?

And in soccer, with all of them running around so much, you'd think the scores would be a lot higher. They parry, dance and put on some mighty theatrics while diving to draw fake penalties, but they don't score. A real snoozefest. Then there's the intentional maiming with a head butt to his opponent by a top player like Brazil's Reynaldo (is that his name?).

However, another of the biggest problems I can see besides this lack of scoring is the power of the ref. Timekeepeing and the random nature of deciding how much actual time is left in play for the game is decided by the ref. The, at the last second, he announces some capricious edict that there is/are 2 minutes left but neither team knows what is going on.

Then there's that nasty issue of penalty kicks which decides the match. I can't go on...it's all too ghastly. In view of all fairness and sportsmanship, that's no way to decide a match.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:42 am
Quote:
THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN US FOOTBALL AND WORLD FOOTBALL

As the measure of stultifyingly boring, there's little to no difference.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:48 am
@Ragman,
During the course of my back-to-back triumphs in rjb's NFL pick-um game in the last two seasons, against about 30 Yanks, I watched roughly 3 games a week in each short season.

My impression was that posing was the main business in hand. Money being common to both these sports. And not just the players. I suspected too that it was fixed.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two codes. NFL is pathetic by the side of the beautiful game and the whole world agrees. Our players are engaged in 70 games a season and those who play for England a few more.

But to offer gross weight as a role model to the young and it's use in bullying agression is worse than just ridiculous.

NFL is provincial little-pondism. And what can one say about the padding. I remember one game that took an hour to play the last five minutes. No ads interrupt the 45 minutes of each half of a proper football match. You are being wheeled in front of hoardings mate. Goodstyle.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:50 am
@JTT,
Get $500 on the outcome JT.

See how you find it then.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:58 am
@spendius,
That would only change the focus, Spendi, not the level of boredom.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:11 pm
@JTT,
Try it.

You can bet on 25 points a goal, - 10 for a goal against, 3 for a corner, -10 for a yellow card and - 25 for a red card. Up or down at some number the bookie chooses. At £5 a point and a four pack you won't be in the least bored.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:17 pm
@spendius,
There is another big difference between the codes. In the World Cup and the European Champion's League the leading politicians often attend. That's where some of the deals are struck.

NFL, and baseball, are out of the globalisation loop. They are games for isolationists. Just wait until the USA gets into a World Cup final.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:47 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Just wait until the USA gets into a World Cup final.

Yeah, right at about the time when pigs evolve wings and use them for flight.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
What??! The US has the World Series every year.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:01 pm
@JTT,
That's as outdated as a caber-tossing competition at a vicarage fete JT. In the Highlands.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@spendius,
It certainly vies with football and football as booooooooooring, Spendi.

I was being facetious.
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:25 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I was being facetious.

You should never admit that. It's considered wet.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:18 pm
and there's been no mention at all of rugby league, rugby (union) - Rugby World Cup in New Zealand next month; Gaelic football.

Dadpad did mention Aussie Rules - men with great legs in tight shorts - what more could you want? Twisted Evil Razz
0 Replies