One circuit - three switches - four way switch must remain on

JGoose

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:22 pm
I just moved into a house and the kitchen can lights are controlled by three switches near the doors. One of the switches - the four way switch must be in the on position for the circuit to stay on. After thinking about the circuit, I decided to switch diagonally the wires on the the four way switch, thinking this would fix the problem. However doing this didn't correct the problem. Now the switch has to be in the opposite position for the lights to be on. The other three way switches work like they should - ie. you flip them and the circuit either changes from off-to-on or on-to-off. Do you have any ideas on what could be wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,276 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Will108

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:59 pm
@JGoose,
In view of the posting date if this question still relevant perhaps I can help.
Please advise.
0 Replies

Will108

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:51 pm
@JGoose,
If I understand you correctly re switching the wires diagonally on the 4way switch, this would make no difference at all. A 4way switch connects straight through or diagonally when operated. (Think of it as an X. The two bottom points either cross over or go straight through when operated)
A3way switch connects from the common point to either one or the other of the two top points when operated. (Think of it as a Y. the bottom selects one of the two top points)
0 Replies

bob mc

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:32 am
@JGoose,
swap the wires on the same side (not diagonally) of the 4way
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 09:27 pm
@JGoose,
you should find some drawings of switches here: http://helectdwg.blogspot.com/
0 Replies