Both Good And Evil Are Life's Indestructable Forces

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:52 am
We tend to think that only Good (Either to self or to Others directly or Indirectly and in all forms) is required for Life.And that we all in some way or the other try to drive away the evil and end up with Good only.But, I think this is impossible.If Evil were to be anihilated it would have been destroyed long ago.The fact that it remains from time immemorial and even today it exists with full vigour shows that it is only a flip side of Life and you can never hope to get away from it! Then, if Good is Divine, so is Evil ! All we can hope for is,to learn the lessons offered by the Evil Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,779 • Replies: 74
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:55 am
So then, evil serves a necessary purpose by maintaining a balance in the Universe?

So all my heavy metal ravaging, pillaging, philandering, drug and alcohol abuse and general sh1tty attitude is actually a valuable service to humanity?

When do I get my medal? If it's a real gold one, can I just have a couple hundred dollars instead? I want a new tattoo.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:07 am
Welcome, K.V.Shanker, it is good to have you on a2k.

It has been many years since reading Milton's Paradise Lost, but I think it is a good example of the divinity of evil. There are excellent philosophers on a2k who will most likely show up fairly soon and give you a good dialogue on good and evil. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way to establish a world of only good or only evil since all of us are capable of both, even though we hate to admit to the possiblity of doing evil.

It would be impossible to appreciate the goodnes and beauty of our world and the people in it without the comparison with ugliness and evil. As you said, evil is still very much with us.

I look forward to reading more as others join in the discussion.

(BiPB--all your pillaging and philandering has probably produced some good music, but go ask Squinny for money--you'll get nothing from me. Twisted Evil If you get the tattoo, show us some pictures.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:11 am
Ahhhh Sister Diane....sometimes the tough love is best.....I feel all warm and fuzzy......like a bear......
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:33 am
Is Evil Good ?
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
So then, evil serves a necessary purpose by maintaining a balance in the Universe?

So all my heavy metal ravaging, pillaging, philandering, drug and alcohol abuse and general sh1tty attitude is actually a valuable service to humanity?

When do I get my medal? If it's a real gold one, can I just have a couple hundred dollars instead? I want a new tattoo.

I never said that Evil is also Good and be praised for it, Bi-Polar Bear
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:35 am
Diane wrote:
Welcome, K.V.Shanker, it is good to have you on a2k.

It has been many years since reading Milton's Paradise Lost, but I think it is a good example of the divinity of evil. There are excellent philosophers on a2k who will most likely show up fairly soon and give you a good dialogue on good and evil. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way to establish a world of only good or only evil since all of us are capable of both, even though we hate to admit to the possiblity of doing evil.

It would be impossible to appreciate the goodnes and beauty of our world and the people in it without the comparison with ugliness and evil. As you said, evil is still very much with us.

I look forward to reading more as others join in the discussion.

Smile Thank You Diane.I also Look forward to the views of our members.

(BiPB--all your pillaging and philandering has probably produced some good music, but go ask Squinny for money--you'll get nothing from me. Twisted Evil If you get the tattoo, show us some pictures.)
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:49 am
There is no real evil. Not in our world anyway. There is only the misunderstanding that negative actions or results come from evil intentions. When in all actuality, humans can't even begin to grasp what is truly evil. We can be pretty bad as a result of delusions, selfishness, stupidity and the like. But, as young as we are in comparison to the universe, we are but kids who just haven't learned enough yet. We are innocent. Innocence is the absence of evil.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:19 am
Just grasping at straws there K. Vee, an old sinner who fears retribution.... :wink:
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:03 pm
K.VEE.SHANKER, you asked if evil is a divine force, but do not allow "no" as a choice in your poll. Why not?

IMO, neither good nor evil are divine forces. They are judgments about the actions of our fellow human beings based on morality/ethics developed by thousands of years of living in society. (Animals are not judged by the same standards because most kill by instinct, not choice.) Good is choosing actions that benefit society, or at least our own friends, family, or group. It may be instinctive (such as maternal love and the facility for reciprocal altruism) but my guess is that most "good" behavior is learned. Evil is the result of giving in to biological urges that result in harm to others.

Urges such as greed and lust have been honed by millions of years of evolution and usually improve the odds of survival and reproduction, but can be detrimental in excess. Variability in DNA ensures that some people will be born with greater or lesser urges than average. Those who cannot or will not control their urges and cause harm to others in their attempts to fulfill them, are judged to be "evil." Those who overcome their biological urges and work for the good of society are the only force for good that demonstrably exists.

No, evil is NOT required for good to exist. You can also have beauty without ugliness, truth without lies, joy without suffering, health without disease. We just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the negatives.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:23 pm
Terry said,

Quote:
We just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the negatives.

My point was, in a way, the same--we just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the positives.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:10 am
Diane wrote:
Terry said,

Quote:
We just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the negatives.

My point was, in a way, the same--we just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the positives.

True, but that is an argument about semantics and relative perception. The nature of us being able to describe somthing in terms of other things tells us more about the communication and understanding capabilities of the human species than about "evil" as an acutal force.
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:02 am
Good And Evil
Terry wrote:
K.VEE.SHANKER, you asked if evil is a divine force, but do not allow "no" as a choice in your poll. Why not?

IMO, neither good nor evil are divine forces. They are judgments about the actions of our fellow human beings based on morality/ethics developed by thousands of years of living in society. (Animals are not judged by the same standards because most kill by instinct, not choice.) Good is choosing actions that benefit society, or at least our own friends, family, or group. It may be instinctive (such as maternal love and the facility for reciprocal altruism) but my guess is that most "good" behavior is learned. Evil is the result of giving in to biological urges that result in harm to others.

Urges such as greed and lust have been honed by millions of years of evolution and usually improve the odds of survival and reproduction, but can be detrimental in excess. Variability in DNA ensures that some people will be born with greater or lesser urges than average. Those who cannot or will not control their urges and cause harm to others in their attempts to fulfill them, are judged to be "evil." Those who overcome their biological urges and work for the good of society are the only force for good that demonstrably exists.

No, evil is NOT required for good to exist. You can also have beauty without ugliness, truth without lies, joy without suffering, health without disease. We just wouldn't have words or even concepts for the negatives.

Thank you Terry.Your views as well as those of Diane are interesting.The point I want to make is that Evil is assumed to be an unnatural man's creation.I also all along, thought like that.But,I latter on realised that "Evil tendancies" existed not only among humans but even amongst animals and insects.You can see the tendancies like canibalism, fraud and exploitation among insects.This can never be ascribed to learning behaviours.So, I say " Evil is God's creation".

Further, I realise that the bigger the issue and or more urgent the job are they cannot be achieved without a few evil acts sprinkled over the Good.All wars and big nations are found only with a sizable contribution of Evil.You can stand outside and pick holes.But, the fact remains that they can not be achieved without some evil.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:37 am
Then by your own admission evil is necessary and created of God. If it is created by God then it is good somehow, because all things work to God's purposes and an omniscient, omnipresent and perfect God cannot create anything without useful purpose. It would be against His/Her very nature.

Therefore good=evil and evil =good.

Classic doublespeak, God must be George Orwell.

And Satan might be George Bush. :wink:

Maybe I have a chance to get to heaven after all. Question Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Then by your own admission evil is necessary and created of God. If it is created by God then it is good somehow, because all things work to God's purposes and an omniscient, omnipresent and perfect God cannot create anything without useful purpose. It would be against His/Her very nature.

Therefore good=evil and evil =good.

Classic doublespeak, God must be George Orwell.

And Satan might be George Bush. :wink:

Maybe I have a chance to get to heaven after all. Question Rolling Eyes

Bi-Polar you're either trying to distort my views or you've not understood them.God created many forces so that a self sustaining Life is in place.Poison is also God's creation.Does it mean that you can consume it?I only meant that you can not declare something as undesirable and useless and try to eliminate it.This doesn't mean that it is to be promoted.Each and everything has its own purpose.We should not yearn for an ideal state bereft of our dislikes.
As regard to your ticket to Heaven, you already have one (way) ticket in your pocket!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:41 am
K Vee the Bear is just pulling your leg.......
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:42 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Bi-Polar you're either trying to distort my views or you've not understood them.God created many forces so that a self sustaining Life is in place.Poison is also God's creation.Does it mean that you can consume it?I only meant that you can not declare something as undesirable and useless and try to eliminate it.This doesn't mean that it is to be promoted.Each and everything has its own purpose.We should not yearn for an ideal state bereft of our dislikes.
As regard to your ticket to Heaven, you already have one (way) ticket in your pocket!

Are we supposed to take your word for the fact that there is a God who can do all the stuff you say the God does -- or are you going to present some evidence that a God exists -- and that the God does the kind of things you say it does?
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:53 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:

Are we supposed to take your word for the fact that there is a God who can do all the stuff you say the God does -- or are you going to present some evidence that a God exists -- and that the God does the kind of things you say it does?

Does God exists? is a question I'm also interested in,like you.May be you can throw more light on it.Meanwhile,you can substitute nature in place of God.
As regards to your question wether God or nature does what I've claimed to,I only wish to say that I'm talking about what's present already in this world.I would love to give advice if God asks for it!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:19 am
K.VEE.SHANKER wrote:
Does God exists? is a question I'm also interested in,like you.May be you can throw more light on it.Meanwhile,you can substitute nature in place of God.
As regards to your question wether God or nature does what I've claimed to,I only wish to say that I'm talking about what's present already in this world.I would love to give advice if God asks for it!

Well, KVee, I've re-read your posts -- and if you have any doubts about the existence of God -- you certainly disguise it well. And if you have any doubts about what that God is like -- you disguise that well also.

I do NOT KNOW if there is a God -- I also do NOT KNOW if there are no gods. I SUSPECT, neither does anyone else.

I SUGGEST that humanity would be better off if everyone who also does NOT KNOW -- would simply acknowledge that they do not know.

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a reasonable about whether or not there is a God or if there are no gods.

I SUSPECT nobody else has enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a reasonable guess in either direction either.

I SUGGEST that humanity would be best served by everyone who does not possess enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a reasonable guess in this matter -- would simply stop guessing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:46 am
The specific terms here are fraught with suggestive peril. Good can usually be taken for that which someone desires, and in most cases, is fairly representative of what most people desire. Those who wish for things which others of us not only would not consider good, but would condemn, are those who indulge in what the majority might well describe as depravity.

But one is on even shakier ground with evil. That which is bad could simply be described as that which one does not desire, or that which one considers harmful. But evil has always had a conotation of intent. It is essential to setting up a contention of eternal absolutes. I am by no means convinced that evil exists, beyond the opinions of those who speak of evil.

Bad and Good are acceptable terms, in that one can usually both demonstrate that the adjectives are applicable, and why one uses them. This food is good (i.e., i enjoy it and it mitigates in favor of my health); this weather is bad (i don't like it, and i run the risk of bad health from exposure to it). When one posits a dichotomy of Good and Evil, however, one is obliged to imagine all sorts of fairy tales and fairy tale characters, such as Heaven and Hell, and God and Satan.

That's all you'll get out of me on this subject; i've seen Frank beat his dead horse often enough to be no longer charmed by the exercise. I've read enough of K. V.'s threads to know that he/she has a mission, in which i haven't any interest.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:36 am
nothing irritates me more than a guy who can get down in the dirt with the idiots or wax philosophically on an intellectual level and be successful at all of it, plus be right all the damn time.

Get with the program Set, you make the rest of us look bad.
0 Replies