Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 10:48 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,691 • Replies: 9
No top replies

angliz0801

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:30 am
Maybe you could come up with a basic price per size. (for example: $45US Dollars per 10"x13") From there you should take into consideration things such as the amount of labor for things such as light, etc. and any special props, backdrops etc. that you personally fund. You should also think about not only per/picture prices, but perhaps package deals (like $150US Dollars for 1-10x13", 2-8x10", 4-5x7", 15 wallets)...that sort of thing.
Also, you may want to look into getting a job at a portrait studio. I don't know what kinds of stores you have in Australia, but here we have places like Olin Mills, Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. It wouldn't really be any spectacular pics, most of them are run of the mill portrait studios, but it's a really great way for you to get your name out there. I have a friend that worked for one of these places, and she would hand out business cards to her customers. Within about 6 months she had so many clients from doing this, that she quit working there and opened her own studio which is thriving. I hope this helps a little or gives you a few ideas! Good luck in you endeavors!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:50 am
Justin, Congratulations for the accolades and your acceptance to James Cook University. It seems that any school worth their salt would be able to provide you with some leads for the information you need on pricing of your works. Why don't you contact some professional photographers in your area and ask them if they could provide you with some information on pricing your photographs. You can also do a search on the internet for that information. Good luck, and WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 03:03 am
When I was moonlighting as a photographer I have a pricing method that I use:

Total time consumed (this includes going to and from the event, preparation of materials) multiplied but what I considered my reasonable hourly rate. (during that time I was working as a project analyst and I peg my rate at $30.00 U.S. (circa 1980's)

then I add, material cost (Film, developing, gas, batteries, etc)

See what number you come up to then ask a professional if your fees are realistic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:41 am
Ricardo, Your formula to arrive at a price is very good, because it's flexible, and it covers your cost plus income.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:12 pm
Congrats Justin. Ricardo's plan sounds very good to me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:19 pm
Also, get a copy of the photographers market (its an annual pub in the US ) it may help by letting u see what many markets actually pay for fotos. i use The Artists Market like a Bible cuz I submit cartoons to publications and they publish their fee scale. Now, as you become more established, all these guidelines go out the window
0 Replies

Justin Schaller

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 07:53 pm
Thanks everyone, you have been a great help =D
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:21 am
Hi Justin.... welcome to A2K!!

congratulations on your success.... you're on your way to a wonderful career....

just a little suggestion.... be aware of copyrighting your photos.... will you draw up a contract with the organization that is purchasing your photos?.... the contract should include something about who "owns" the photos.... also, think about getting a "release" from people who pose for photos....

I like the photo in your avatar!!

:-)
0 Replies

roz

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:05 pm
Hi Justin and well done! As for pricing, I base mine on my union fees card (National Union of Journalists) and although this is no help at all to you in Australia, you could certainly get some guidance from the equivalent organisation. Although asking other professionals is probably as effective.

As for copyright, NEVER, EVER, "assign" copyright. Always negotiate a license for use. Ideally for a limited period and including any online use of your images. Be very wary of Mr Murdoch's empire in this respect - I've just had to take "The Australian" to task for not concluding the license arrangements BEFORE publishing one of my photographs the other week.
0 Replies