How old is the earth?

Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 12:38 am
@Carico,
I know, ICE appeared on the whole before the water! :no: No, that doesn't make sense either. There'd have to be a lot of water for the whole earth to be covered in ice. Boy, this'll take a lot of thinking so my story won't have any holes in it. Since the OP asked us to start at the end of the story and work our way back to the beginning, this is going to be a lot harder than I thought. :headbang:
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:05 am
@Carico,
I got it! After the fire ball, the earth was completely parched because without water, it would have all burned up. So somehow, the fireball in the sky moved away a little bit so the earth wouldn't burn up. Then giant hail came from the sky and covered the parched earth to form a whole earth covered in ice.Smile

Then, the sun moved back to its place, wiggled around a bit so it could provide the exact amount of heat so the ice would melt. Then water covered the earth...but not all of it because glaciers still exist.

Oh I know, there were giant eclipses in the northern hemisphere so that part of the earth couldn't warm up. Then after the earth warmed up sufficiently to not freeze any more...but wait, it froze a couple of more times because there were more "ice ages" so maybe the sun moved again. :eek:

Boy I wish I had a degree in science then, no one would question my story and I wouldn't even have to finish it. :approve:
Numpty

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 03:50 am
@Carico,
You still haven't answered the question.
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 03:56 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;66742 wrote:
Creationists don't comprehend large numbers. Saying "a year or two" will be interpreted literally when it's obvious it shouldn't.

Seeing a pattern?

The world has to be made small and simple so that the small and simple mind can be easily wrapped around it.

No, the bible is simply more specific than scientists because the bible comes from facts and the stories of scientists come from their imaginations which is why they keep changing. Wink
Numpty

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:00 am
@Carico,
Carico;66889 wrote:
No, the bible is simply more specific than scientists because the bible comes from [SIZE="5"]facts[/SIZE] and the stories of scientists come from their imaginations which is why they keep changing. Wink

What facts are these?
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:14 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;66892 wrote:
What facts are these?

You know what they are because you've heard them and read them in the bible. You just close your eyes to them, retreat into your imagination to form new "facts." :rollinglaugh: Sorry but stories that come from the imagination are imaginary, period. Wink
Numpty

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:33 am
@Carico,
Carico;66895 wrote:
You know what they are because you've heard them and read them in the bible. You just close your eyes to them, retreat into your imagination to form new "facts." :rollinglaugh: Sorry but stories that come from the imagination are imaginary, period. Wink

So you take the literal meaning of the Bible as fact?

That's ok, you have one piece of evidence. What is your coroberating evidence? The physical evidence, the researched which backs up the claims. I would also like to see this evidence.
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:45 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;66900 wrote:
So you take the literal meaning of the Bible as fact?

That's ok, you have one piece of evidence. What is your coroberating evidence? The physical evidence, the researched which backs up the claims. I would also like to see this evidence.

Of course it's fact. That's why no one can prove it wrong without lying, contradicting himself or making up his own stories from his imagination. Smile
Sabz5150

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 05:08 am
@Carico,
Carico;66902 wrote:
Of course it's fact. That's why no one can prove it wrong without lying, contradicting himself or making up his own stories from his imagination. Smile

So how do you know its correct? Remember, things are not proven incorrect, they are proven correct.

The easiest way to do this is show the deity that you claim.

Your text gives six days for creation and approximately six thousand years for the existence of everything. How, given this information, are we able to see light which has travelled for millions of years?
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 05:22 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;66903 wrote:
So how do you know its correct? Remember, things are not proven incorrect, they are proven correct.

The easiest way to do this is show the deity that you claim.

Your text gives six days for creation and approximately six thousand years for the existence of everything. How, given this information, are we able to see light which has travelled for millions of years?

The truth can only be found in reality, not in the imagination.Wink

So look out the window to see that reality agrees with Genesis perfectly.

Again, all scientists know is what they deduce. There's no way to know the relativity of the speed of light without stationary objects by which to measure it. So who knows how fast or slow light travels in space since one can't measure space? But even scientists say that the speed of light is not constant.Wink

So once again, putting your faith in fallible human mortals who change their minds all the time will only result in the common phrase by scientists; "We now know that what we once through was true is not true." And again, that's why today's science will be archaic to tomorrow's science and tomorrow's science will be archaic to future science. So the question again is; why trust anything scientists say?:what:
Sabz5150

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 05:58 am
@Carico,
Carico;66908 wrote:
The truth can only be found in reality, not in the imagination.Wink

So look out the window to see that reality agrees with Genesis perfectly.

Again, all scientists know is what they deduce. There's no way to know the relativity of the speed of light without stationary objects by which to measure it. So who knows how fast or slow light travels in space since one can't measure space? But even scientists say that the speed of light is not constant.Wink

So once again, putting your faith in fallible human mortals who change their minds all the time will only result in the common phrase by scientists; "We now know that what we once through was true is not true." And again, that's why today's science will be archaic to tomorrow's science and tomorrow's science will be archaic to future science. So the question again is; why trust anything scientists say?:what:

Great way not to answer the question.

Again, I challenge:

"Your text gives six days for creation and approximately six thousand years for the existence of everything. How, given this information, are we able to see light which has travelled for millions of years?"

Care to answer?

Why trust the scientists? What's that you're in front of? God didn't make that. I see no reference in the Bible to electronics, nanotechnology, the Internet, silicon wafers, the transistor or any other modern piece of technology. Wonder why that is...

E=MC2, the equation that states the cosmic speed limit is the same equation that brought about nuclear weapons. I think I can trust it works.

As for measuring the speed of light... it is a constant*. This means that regardless of point of reference, moving or otherwise, it will be the same. This is why the classic concept of walking foward in a train going lightspeed will not cause you to go faster than light. Speaking of objects in motion, redshift (caused by motion) allows us to know how far an object is and how long the light has travelled.

So again, how can we see light that has travelled for millions of years?

* The speed of light itself can be altered. That's no problem. We've even stopped light in its tracks. The speed itself, 186,282 miles per second, is most certainly a constant. Nothing with mass can travel faster than that. Why is this? Because if punched into the equation, it takes more than infinite energy to maintain such a speed. This is not possible.
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:48 am
@Sabz5150,
Since you dismiss my answers, then there's no point. You have the bible. if you choose to believe that scientists are infallible gods, then go for it and find out when you die how wrong you were. Since atheists also think they're omniscient, you can't see your own contradictions either.

But one thing is certain; scientists will change their minds again and your defense of their theories today will be as meaningless as trying to play God. Sorry. :frown:
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:51 am
@Carico,
But I would like to hear your story about the age of the earth. I'm sure you'll consider it as omniscient as scientists consider theirs. Wink
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:01 am
@Carico,
Carico;66870 wrote:
This is another scenario in which one has to indulge in fantasy. So here's one;

"Once upon a time, there was nothingness in the universe. But all was not as it seemed. :uhh: Unseen to the naked eye (though there were any eyes at that time, much less naked ones) tiny particles were interacting at a frantic pace until one day they erupted with a loud BANG.

The big bang was not preceded by a literal "bang". How exactly you think sound was possible without a medium shows you know nothing about science.

Quote:
It was gigantic! Particles flyin' all over everywhere, fireballs shootin' into space until one day, one of the fireballs landed just the perfect distance away from the earth for the earth to calm down.

Fireballs?

:rollinglaugh:

Oh geez...I knew it was impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:02 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
I still haven't received an age from carico...
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:18 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66942 wrote:
The big bang was not preceded by a literal "bang". How exactly you think sound was possible without a medium shows you know nothing about science.

Fireballs?

:rollinglaugh:

Oh geez...I knew it was impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you.

I admit that's not quite is bizarre as a Bang!:rollinglaugh: Actually I just read an article in the Parade about scientists looking for a particle they call the "Higgs Boton" or the "God particle" and if they find it, they have to admit the story of the "Big Bang" is wrong. Wink

So at least they admit it's a story. But those who worship scientists as gods and see everything they say as the "god's honest truth" will defend theories that even scientists aren't sure about. Wink

So why is that, do you think? Wink The answer is simple; most people can't think for themselves so they put blind faith in scientists. Wink
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:29 am
@Carico,
Carico;66977 wrote:

So why is that, do you think? Wink The answer is simple; most people can't think for themselves so they put blind faith in ancient religions. Wink

*fixed ^
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:30 am
@Carico,
You still haven't told me how old you think the earth is, i'm waiting.....:frown:
0 Replies

Petey J

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:17 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Very, very old.

Old enough to have fossils of things in it.
0 Replies

iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:43 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
No one can know the actual age of the Earth, it's an impossible task, when you throw numbers like 4.2 billion to 4.6 billion years around, your almost doing it casually, that's a 400 million year gap!! It's a much easier task to throw numbers around then actually know the figures, so really we will never know.