• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,587 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Carico

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:05 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66545 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Sorry but the age of the earth can't be determined by a vote any more than a vote can determine whether the earth is round or flat. Wink Suffice it to say, that the myths circulated by scientist are like fish stories from people who claim they caught a fish t-h-i-s big. :rollinglaugh: But all you have to do is watch the Science Discovery Channel to see that their stories keep changing just like fish stories do. Wink
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:09 am
@Carico,
Carico;66551 wrote:
Sorry but the age of the earth can't be determined by a vote any more than a vote can determine whether the earth is round or flat. Wink Suffice it to say, that the myths circulated by scientist are like fish stories from people who claim they caught a fish t-h-i-s big. :rollinglaugh: But all you have to do is watch the Science Discovery Channel to see that their stories keep changing just like fish stories do. Wink

Never said it was up for vote.

Regardless you haven't answered the question. How old do you think the earth is?
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:01 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
What do you guys think?

4.5 Billion Years, give or take a year or two.

You?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:10 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;66564 wrote:

You?

between 4.2 to 4.6 billion.

I'm guessing Carico's answer is gonna be in the thousands. :rollinglaugh:
mimidamnit

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:11 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
in my opinion...much older than anyone can even fathom.. and inhabited by species that we are unaware of.. i believe that there have been cycles of life on this planet for billions and billions of years.
Numpty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:12 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66566 wrote:
between 4.2 to 4.6 billion.

I'm guessing Carico's answer is gonna be in the thousands. :rollinglaugh:

Yup, Somewhere between 6-10,000 I would hazzard a guess at.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:14 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;66567 wrote:
in my opinion...much older than anyone can even fathom.. and inhabited by species that we are unaware of.. i believe that there have been cycles of life on this planet for billions and billions of years.

The evidence thus far does not support that theory.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:19 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;66567 wrote:

Well considering that only a tiny minority of species that ever existed are represented in the fossil record, I would agree there are many species we are unaware of and will always be unaware of.

I'm not sure what you mean by Cycles. Can you explain? What kind of cycles?
mimidamnit

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:25 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66572 wrote:
Well considering that only a tiny minority of species that ever existed are represented in the fossil record, I would agree there are many species we are unaware of and will always be unaware of.

I'm not sure what you mean by Cycles. Can you explain? What kind of cycles?

the earth.. starting over.. many times.. and after each death and rebirth of the earth.. perhaps the dominant species on the planet progressed..

im naturally a curious person.. so i've actually looked into many different possibilities.. extraterrestrials being one such avenue.. i wont be bothered by giggles lol.. i actually want to start a thread on the subject.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:33 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;66574 wrote:
the earth.. starting over.. many times.. and after each death and rebirth of the earth.. perhaps the dominant species on the planet progressed..

I'm gonna have to agree with numpty on this. This isn't supported by any science that i'm aware of, and my understanding of cosmology and astronomy would make such an occurrence nearly impossible.

The problem is that we have traces our current evolutionary lineage going back to about 3.7 billion years ago. And with the age calculated at about 4.5 billion years, this doesn't even leave enough time for one separate evolutionary lineage to develop nonetheless multiple.

As for death and rebirth of earth, are you talking about a physical reformation of matter that makes up earth or just a death of all life on earth?
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:41 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
death of all life on earth
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:47 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;66577 wrote:
death of all life on earth

There have been a couple of mass extinction events but none that we know of have resulted in the extinction of all life.
mimidamnit

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:51 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;66579 wrote:
There have been a couple of mass extinction events but none that we know of have resulted in the extinction of all life.

Wink:headbang:
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:23 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;66564 wrote:

You?

Give or take a year or two. :rollinglaugh: The only reason that scientists say it's that old is because they claim their hypothesis (an imaginary premise) "What if the world began with a bang?":rollinglaugh: is true because the imaginatiion is considered evidence in science. Very Happy So claiming their imaginary premise is true, then that means that it would have had to take the earth billions of years to cool down.

That's no different than saying; "What if the earth once began from ice?" (which is closer to the truth than a big bang), "If it began from ice, then it would have to take the world billions of years to warm up. So the earth is 4.5 billion years old." :rollinglaugh:

Sorry, but a conclusion can only be as hypothetical as the premise. Wink
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:16 pm
@Carico,
You still haven't answered my question.

How old do you think the earth is?
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:21 am
@Carico,
Carico;66592 wrote:
Give or take a year or two. :rollinglaugh: The only reason that scientists say it's that old is because they claim their hypothesis (an imaginary premise) "What if the world began with a bang?":rollinglaugh: is true because the imaginatiion is considered evidence in science. Very Happy So claiming their imaginary premise is true, then that means that it would have had to take the earth billions of years to cool down.

That's no different than saying; "What if the earth once began from ice?" (which is closer to the truth than a big bang), "If it began from ice, then it would have to take the world billions of years to warm up. So the earth is 4.5 billion years old." :rollinglaugh:

Sorry, but a conclusion can only be as hypothetical as the premise. Wink

World beginning with a bang? Where is such a thing said? You're making up stuff again.

The ONLY thing you got right was the Earth taking "billions" of years to cool down. It was roughly one billion, but we'll give you the cigar since your actual science knowledge seems to be so thin, it warrants a celebration. You won't find any references to a "bang" (this is a key piece that shows your lack of knowledge) in any science paper outside of the layman's term "Big Bang".

Within a year or two? Naah... somewhere around a million or so. Given the time range we're talking about and that variance, the margin of error is still less than a half of a percent. Big numbers aren't so hard when you put your mind to it.

C'mon... I need another kill flag. You'll be my fifth.
Numpty

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:53 am
@Sabz5150,
My hint at 'Give or take a year or two' was intended as Sarcasim. I am well aware of the time involved Carico.

Prehaps it would be advisable for you to do some research before you go up against Sabz. He will hand your @ss back to you. Try it if you don't believe me.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 08:43 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;66662 wrote:
My hint at 'Give or take a year or two' was intended as Sarcasim. I am well aware of the time involved Carico.

Prehaps it would be advisable for you to do some research before you go up against Sabz. He will hand your @ss back to you. Try it if you don't believe me.

Creationists don't comprehend large numbers. Saying "a year or two" will be interpreted literally when it's obvious it shouldn't.

Seeing a pattern?

The world has to be made small and simple so that the small and simple mind can be easily wrapped around it.
Carico

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 12:35 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
What do you guys think?

This is another scenario in which one has to indulge in fantasy. So here's one;

"Once upon a time, there was nothingness in the universe. But all was not as it seemed. :uhh: Unseen to the naked eye (though there were any eyes at that time, much less naked ones) tiny particles were interacting at a frantic pace until one day they erupted with a loud BANG.

It was gigantic! Particles flyin' all over everywhere, fireballs shootin' into space until one day, one of the fireballs landed just the perfect distance away from the earth for the earth to calm down.

So the fire finally settled into a perfect round ball and just smoldered for a couple of hundred million years. Then when it burned itself out, wouldn't you know, water just appeared. :eek: Inf act, so much water appeared that there was much more water than land! No, that isn't logical so I won't include that in my story. :no: But I've got to explain how so much water got on the earth. Sorry guys, I'll have to think about this a little more. :beat: