Evolution in the bible, says Vatican

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:17 am
By Martin Penner
November 07, 2005 12:00am

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.
His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,537 • Replies: 287
No top replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 09:58 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43037 wrote:
By Martin Penner

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.
His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

Fantastic, the rot has begun, If catholics buy into the idea of evolution there is hope for this planet yet.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:31 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;43051 wrote:
Fantastic, the rot has begun, If catholics buy into the idea of evolution there is hope for this planet yet.

The Catholics my friend, are amateurs compared to our homegrown bible thumpers. Lets see them admitting to Evolution. Just don't hold your breath. Truth & facts have nothing to do with the Bible belt's version of reality.
Numpty

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:51 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43057 wrote:
The Catholics my friend, are amateurs compared to our homegrown bible thumpers. Lets see them admitting to Evolution. Just don't hold your breath. Truth & facts have nothing to do with the Bible belt's version of reality.

True true, as an Englishman on a recent holiday to Florida I was quite stunned by the attitude towards the evolution theory. Pictures, banners, leaflets handed out. 'Evolution is a Lie' Quite disturbing really, for me anyway, Evolution is a given over hear. I know of no one who takes the literall meaning of creation in the Bible. Sure they believe in God, we of course debate the point, but a Supernatural being created the earth in six days, not really here.

Have you read Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion'? His take on God being the Ultimate 'Beoing 747' really is quite incitefull in realising how ridiculous said notion is.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:02 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;43060 wrote:
True true, as an Englishman on a recent holiday to Florida I was quite stunned by the attitude towards the evolution theory. Pictures, banners, leaflets handed out. 'Evolution is a Lie' Quite disturbing really, for me anyway, Evolution is a given over hear. I know of no one who takes the literall meaning of creation in the Bible. Sure they believe in God, we of course debate the point, but a Supernatural being created the earth in six days, not really here.

Have you read Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion'? His take on God being the Ultimate 'Beoing 747' really is quite incitefull in realising how ridiculous said notion is.

Richard Dawkins I believe has caused the first crack in the wall around religious belief. After reading him, I am convinced not only is it not impolite to challenge the evangelicals but its actually the duty of all thinking me to do so.

His "God Delusion" was the tying up of loose ends from his other excellent books including "The Selfish Gene". "The Blind Watchmaker" and "Climbing Mount Improbable".

Another author to read is Sam Harris. His book "End of Belief" is a good read.

No respite should be offered to the evangelicals until they learn to keep their beliefs to themselves.
Numpty

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:07 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43062 wrote:
Richard Dawkins I believe has caused the first crack in the wall around religious belief. After reading him, I am convinced not only is it not impolite to challenge the evangelicals but its actually the duty of all thinking me to do so.

His "God Delusion" was the tying up of loose ends from his other excellent books including "The Selfish Gene". "The Blind Watchmaker" and "Climbing Mount Improbable".

Another author to read is Sam Harris. His book "End of Belief" is a good read.

No respite should be offered to the evangelicals until they learn to keep their beliefs to themselves.

I am currently reading that book,though I think you mean 'End of Faith' might i point you in the direction of 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris, also a very interesting read.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:16 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;43064 wrote:
I am currently reading that book,though I think you mean 'End of Faith' might i point you in the direction of 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris, also a very interesting read.

Sorry N. I meant "End of Faith". Fabulous read. And yes, the slim "Letter to a Christian Nation" is excellent. I prefer Dawkins though. More nuanced. Though the last bit in End of Faith about spirituality without religious belief was an education.
0 Replies

Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:18 am
@Adam Bing,
Both Sam Harris and Dawkins are being devoured in Europe. States-side however, the debate has yet to really begin.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
@Adam Bing,
The Vatacan is seeking more money. Issuing such statements continues a cycle of publicity and so the money pours in.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:44 pm
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;43081 wrote:
The Vatacan is seeking more money. Issuing such statements continues a cycle of publicity and so the money pours in.

Well admitedly the Vatican is a global business.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:49 pm
@Adam Bing,
And you thought micorsoft, google, and wallyworld were big.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:45 am
@Adam Bing,
ha! that's good. Here in Canada, you should see the land, yikes, sooooo beautiful, acres and acres of pristine prime real estate, and castle-sized building for retreats and seminars. Recently they sold a chunk for a sub-division and l know, given where it is located we are talking millions and millions...so when the plate is passed, it is to feed the real estate.
Adam Bing

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:17 pm
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;43257 wrote:
ha! that's good. Here in Canada, you should see the land, yikes, sooooo beautiful, acres and acres of pristine prime real estate, and castle-sized building for retreats and seminars. Recently they sold a chunk for a sub-division and l know, given where it is located we are talking millions and millions...so when the plate is passed, it is to feed the real estate.

Tulip if you know it, then eschew it. Intelligent folk like you do not need the god industry to tell you to be good and to love your neighbour. Why? Because you can think it through yourself and arrive at that conclusion. By doing that you ignore that plate and are no part of the havoc that collected money wreaks.
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:31 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43037 wrote:
By Martin Penner

Just going by what you post, he seems as if he is trying to hold two opposing beliefs at the same time. Any way the Cardinal does not speak for God; God speak for himself, and those who are of God will not listen to those who speak under the influence of Satan. From the beginning, when God created mankind,Satan has been mixing truth with lies in an attempt to deceive those whose mind is week.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 (KJV)
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

John 10:27 (KJV)
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

So anyone who wants to follow/believe what this man is saying fine, go right on a head, as for me I will let the Spirit of God and the Word of God guide me into truth.
Adam Bing

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:00 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;43344 wrote:
Just going by what you post, he seems as if he is trying to hold two opposing beliefs at the same time. Any way the Cardinal does not speak for God; God speak for himself, and those who are of God will not listen to those who speak under the influence of Satan. From the beginning, when God created mankind,Satan has been mixing truth with lies in an attempt to deceive those whose mind is week.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 (KJV)
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

John 10:27 (KJV)
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

So anyone who wants to follow/believe what this man is saying fine, go right on a head, as for me I will let the Spirit of God and the Word of God guide me into truth.

Brian, I do not believe in god. But if someone has to believe in one, then he or she should do it the way you do.

You have storng beliefs but unless I am wrong, you temper you desire to preach them to others. I respect that.

Other christians and muslims need to urgently follow suit if we are to survive on this planet.
Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:16 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43431 wrote:
Brian, I do not believe in god. But if someone has to believe in one, then he or she should do it the way you do.

You have storng beliefs but unless I am wrong, you temper you desire to preach them to others. I respect that.

Other christians and muslims need to urgently follow suit if we are to survive on this planet.

Christians are commissioned/empowered to preach the gospel/good news to the world, and baptized those who believe.

Mark 16:15 (KJV)
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

But preaching the gospel does not mean that one should force it down people's throat.

Luke 10:1-11 (KJV)
1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
5 And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.
6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.
7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
10 But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,
11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

The gospel simply means good message, but not everyone will understand it or want it, so Christians should just leave them alone. This does not mean that they should stop preaching the gospel, but that they turn to another or some where else.
Adam Bing

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:46 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;43432 wrote:
Christians are commissioned/empowered to preach the gospel/good news to the world, and baptized those who believe.

Mark 16:15 (KJV)
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

But preaching the gospel does not mean that one should force it down people's throat.

Luke 10:1-11 (KJV)
1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
5 And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.
6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.
7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
10 But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,
11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

The gospel simply means good message, but not everyone will understand it or want it, so Christians should just leave them alone. This does not mean that they should stop preaching the gospel, but that they turn to another or some where else.

Thats fine. As long as they preach, they should expect to be aggressively challenged by the likes of us.

The days when atheists kept quiet in Amercia are over. It may well be that we are left with no choice but to adopt the same tactics used by the christians and muslims to speard our belief in rational behaviour.

Luckily for America and mankind in general, more and more people are willing to stop suspending their judgement in favour of blind belief.

There is little choice for us rationale folk. We either confront the monotheists or allow them to take us to their man made armeggadon.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:28 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43057 wrote:

Well let's see the Bible thumpers have stated that dinosaurs died off just a few thousand years ago or less. And supporters of evolution told us that we would never find soft tissue in the bones of a dinosaur because soft tissue can only remain soft for 10,000 years. Well guess what, now up in Montana they have found dinosaur bones with soft tissue. Which is consistant with what the Bible thumpers have been saying all along. But don't worry, the science of evolution is so flexable, that scientist and believers in evolution are now saying soft tissue can last 70 million years. Truth and facts have little to do with believers in evolution. If the facts fall outside of their theory, they just change the facts. There was no study done on how long false tissue would last, they just decided that a dinosaur bone was 70 million years old, so the soft tissue has to be that old if their theory was correct. And this is why the Bible tells us, "beware of science falsely so called."
Adam Bing

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:29 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;43457 wrote:
Well let's see the Bible thumpers have stated that dinosaurs died off just a few thousand years ago or less. And supporters of evolution told us that we would never find soft tissue in the bones of a dinosaur because soft tissue can only remain soft for 10,000 years. Well guess what, now up in Montana they have found dinosaur bones with soft tissue. Which is consistant with what the Bible thumpers have been saying all along. But don't worry, the science of evolution is so flexable, that scientist and believers in evolution are now saying soft tissue can last 70 million years. Truth and facts have little to do with believers in evolution. If the facts fall outside of their theory, they just change the facts. There was no study done on how long false tissue would last, they just decided that a dinosaur bone was 70 million years old, so the soft tissue has to be that old if their theory was correct. And this is why the Bible tells us, "beware of science falsely so called."

Tell you what. You specify what proof you need to establish to you that dinosaurs got extinct at what we call the "K/T" Boundary between the Cretaceous Period and the Tertiary Period around 65 million years ago. I leave it to you to tell me the kind of proof you need.

After I have attempted to supply you the proof, I will ask from you, a similar quality of proof on some of the biblical claims you make.

I think this is very fair. Please accept and instruct me on what level of proof will satisfy you.

Cordially.
0 Replies

Adam Bing

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:59 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;43457 wrote:

The claims like the ones you make above drives Ms. Schweitzer crazy. She is the Christian, God fearing scientist who make the discovery of the T-Rex blood vessels and soft tissues. Geologists have established that the Hell Creek Formation, where B. rex was found, is 68 million years old, and so are the bones buried in it. She’s horrified that some Christians accuse her of hiding the true meaning of her data. “They treat you really bad,” she says. “They twist your words and they manipulate your data.” For her, science and religion represent two different ways of looking at the world; invoking the hand of God to explain natural phenomena breaks the rules of science.

You see that Mr.Campbell? Allow me to repeat: Geologists have established that the Hell Creek Formation, where B. rex was found, is 68 million years old, and so are the bones buried in it.

Now get me some scientific proof to refute the above or for the sake of all that is sensible, stop spouting this nonsense.

Get some of your creationst buddies to put in some hard work and do some real thinking like this remarkable lady scientist did. She is a Christian but instead of burying her head in one book frozen in time and instead of spouting bullshit, she has choosen to get a freaking real education and so something worthwhile for mankind. I suggest you Sir, learn from her and I advise your creationist friends to do the same. Bettert that, then to steal ideas from others and twist them to suit the Bible which is making them lie and cheat like this. Shame.