Church of England to Apologise to Darwin

Numpty

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:02 am
FF and Sabz you are gonna love this.

Church 'owes Darwin apology': Sci-Tech: News: News24

The Post | Church 'owes Darwin an apology': UK clergyman

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution - Telegraph

Church says sorry to Charles Darwin | The Australian

So is this the begining of the end?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,401 • Replies: 205
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:37 am
@Numpty,

I think this is definitely a sign of changes to come.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
@Numpty,
Yup!!
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
@Numpty,
Reality and reason win again.
Numpty

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:54 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;59934 wrote:
Reality and reason win again.

I hope this is the first step in society where religion and science can co-exist.

Relgion has its scriptures and the faith that go with it. As long as Religion and its scriptures are not used as 'fact' for how the world was 'created' all is good.

Let the scientists do science and the Bishops do the faith.

We don't know why the Big Bang happened and we probably never will, this may be where Religion can keep its 'mystery' and glean its faith from here. But we do know how the earth evolved and what factors came into play as to why it did so. These are undisputable facts. Only the 'head-in-the-sand-brigade' try to deny what 99.9 of scientists have tested and proven to be correct.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;59937 wrote:
I hope this is the first step in society where religion and science can co-exist.

Relgion has its scriptures and the faith that go with it. As long as Religion and its scriptures are not used as 'fact' for how the world was 'created' all is good.

Let the scientists do science and the Bishops do the faith.

We don't know why the Big Bang happened and we probably never will, this may be where Religion can keep its 'mystery' and glean its faith from here. But we do know how the earth evolved and what factors came into play as to why it did so. These are undisputable facts. Only the 'head-in-the-sand-brigade' try to deny what 99.9 of scientists have tested and proven to be correct.

Such a thing will be difficult to balance. Science is a nonstop march of advancement, and quite often this means a changing of the guard in respects to things such as the history and origin of life and the universe. This has been happening for thousands of years as we move from myth and superstition to evidence and fact. It wasn't but a couple of thousand years ago that people believed that the sun was carried across the sky by a flaming chariot and horses. Before then it was a battle between Ra and Set. Now we know from evidence and fact that we orbit a gigantic fusion furnace some 90 million miles away.

The reason that faith exists today is because people are afraid of three simple words: I don't know.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:50 am
@Numpty,
The religion of Darwin lives.
Numpty

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:35 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59981 wrote:

Erm,...not familiar with that religion, would you care to expand?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:27 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59981 wrote:

Christianity? :dunno:
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:49 am
@Numpty,

Well along with the Jews returning to Israel as a sign of the end times, the Bible states that there would be a great falling away from Biblical truth, so one would expect to see such things as the Church apology to Darwin.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:55 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;59985 wrote:
Erm,...not familiar with that religion, would you care to expand?

Evolution is like (some) religion, it is a belief in something that cannot be proven or seen. It requires faith without evidence to be a believer.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:15 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60742 wrote:
Evolution is like (some) religion, it is a belief in something that cannot be proven or seen. It requires faith without evidence to be a believer.

Looks like you are trying to redefine religion so that you can belittle a strong scientific theory.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 11:03 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60742 wrote:

Like the belief that you have a brain? I mean, have you actually seen your brain? Held it in your hands? Poked at it a bit to see what it does? Then how, exactly, do you know its there? Faith, perhaps? I mean, it's belief in something you can't see... right?

The trick is, Campie... we have the evidence. We've had it for a while and it keeps on pouring in. Sorry to say, but you're on the losing end of the battle. Cry end times all you want, and you guys do it often, but it's not end times... it's endgame. The gaps that your god can hide in are growing smaller and smaller. No amount of clay figurines can turn that around.

I will pose a challenge directly to you: I challenge that you give me a DNA sample. If you do not have a fused second chromosome or any genetic mutation that differs from my own genetic code, I will personally purchase 100 copies of the DI's newest Intelligent Design book "Exploring Evolution" and donate them to schools in my area. If you DO in fact have a fused second, or your genetic code varies outside of the 0.1% of standard human diversity in any way, you must buy 100 copies of "Origins" and donate them to schools in your area.

Accept the challenge Smile Money to mouth time, Campbell.

http://www.tonyleroy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/gauntlet.jpg
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 02:14 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60742 wrote:

I suppose you think Quantum Mechanics is a religion too, eh?
Campbell34

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:25 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60774 wrote:
I suppose you think Quantum Mechanics is a religion too, eh?

Quantum Mechanics is a theory, yet it is far more believable than the Theory of Evolution. The Bible is a Book of facts that can be questioned, and many of those facts are being proven. Evolution is a theory that just leaves questions, and those questions cannot be answered by the fossil record. Archeological digs support the truth of the Bible. The search for the truth of Evolution only leaves us asking more questions, and that's because of the bankruptcy of the fossil record. The fact is, Evolution is more of a fable. Because it's supported more by belief, than by facts.
Numpty

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:44 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60783 wrote:
Quantum Mechanics is a theory, yet it is far more believable than the Theory of Evolution. The Bible is a Book of facts that can be questioned, and many of those facts are being proven. Evolution is a theory that just leaves questions, and those questions cannot be answered by the fossil record. Archeological digs support the truth of the Bible. The search for the truth of Evolution only leaves us asking more questions, and that's because of the bankruptcy of the fossil record. The fact is, Evolution is more of a fable. Because it's supported more by belief, than by facts.

AHAHAHAHAHA!

People who study and research Quantum mechanics struggle to understand the science thy are investigating, and this is a more of a legitamte theroy than evolution, which has been demonstrated by thousands of scientists.

You have learnt nothing and have not listend to a single word FF and Sabz hvae said, you probably haven't even read any of the links and info they have posted.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:06 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60783 wrote:
Quantum Mechanics is a theory, yet it is far more believable than the Theory of Evolution.

Are you ******* kidding me? Have you ever studied Quantum mechanics!? When it was first proposed it challenged the fundamentals of the universe as we understood it and made us rethink everything we thought we knew. Einstein rejected quantum mechanics up until his deathbed, even today the most notable scientists have trouble understanding it. So how can you sit there as say such a thing? The only reason christian fundamentalists don't question quantum mechanics even though it contradicts their most sacred of beliefs is because they know even less about quantum mechanics than they do of evolution.

Quote:

The Bible is a Book of facts

So i take it everything in the bible has been observed even the things by their very nature are totally unobservable?

Quote:
that can be questioned, and many of those facts are being proven. Evolution is a theory that just leaves questions, and those questions cannot be answered by the fossil record.

virtually every major advancement in human understanding results in more questions than it solves, evolution is no exception.

Quote:
Archeological digs support the truth of the Bible.

then as Sabz challenged why has no fossil of squirrels been found earlier than a million years ago? Why isn't there any fossils of mammals found in the Triassic period?

Quote:
The search for the truth of Evolution only leaves us asking more questions, and that's because of the bankruptcy of the fossil record. The fact is, Evolution is more of a fable. Because it's supported more by belief, than by facts.

List of transitional fossils: Information from Answers.com

Not to mention how in all the years i've been debating this subject not a single creationists has been able to explain away ERVs, not a one has even attempted to explain them. This is just yet another example of how religion hinders scientific progress.
Campbell34

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:34 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60787 wrote:
Are you ***ing kidding me? Have you ever studied Quantum mechanics!? When it was first proposed it challenged the fundamentals of the universe as we understood it and made us rethink everything we thought we knew. Einstein rejected quantum mechanics up until his deathbed, even today the most notable scientists have trouble understanding it. So how can you sit there as say such a thing? The only reason christian fundamentalists don't question quantum mechanics even though it contradicts their most sacred of beliefs is because they know even less about quantum mechanics than they do of evolution.

So i take it everything in the bible has been observed even the things by their very nature are totally unobservable?

virtually every major advancement in human understanding results in more questions than it solves, evolution is no exception.

then as Sabz challenged why has no fossil of squirrels been found earlier than a million years ago? Why isn't there any fossils of mammals found in the Triassic period?

List of transitional fossils: Information from Answers.com

Not to mention how in all the years i've been debating this subject not a single creationists has been able to explain away ERVs, not a one has even attempted to explain them. This is just yet another example of how religion hinders scientific progress.

Well I don't know about squirrels being found in the Triassic period stone, but I do know about a shoe sole imprint that was discovered in rock from the Triassic period. It was discovered back in 1922 by John T. Reid who was a distinguished mining engineer and geologist.. The science of the day said it was just a freak of nature, yet Reid had a micro -photographer blow up the object 20 times larger. It showed a thread twist and warp which revealed that this was no freak of nature.

The Truth Seeker - World's Before Our Own 2
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:14 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;60790 wrote:
Well I don't know about squirrels being found in the Triassic period stone, but I do know about a shoe sole imprint that was discovered in rock from the Triassic period. It was discovered back in 1922 by John T. Reid who was a distinguished mining engineer and geologist.. The science of the day said it was just a freak of nature, yet Reid had a micro -photographer blow up the object 20 times larger. It showed a thread twist and warp which revealed that this was no freak of nature.

The Truth Seeker - World's Before Our Own 2

This has been a known fraud for years but yet it doesn't prevent creationist from circulating untruths to support their claims!

Paluxy River: it has been widely claimed by creationists that fossil human footprints have been found alongside dinosaur footprints at the Paluxy River near Glen Rose, Texas. Parker (1982), for example, claimed that they "are much more obviously human" than the Laetoli footprints. Scientists showed that many of them were indistinct or infilled dinosaur prints. Some other supposed footprints are either erosional features or, in a few cases (such as the Burdick footprint shown at right (Whitcomb and Morris 1961)), carvings. In 1984 the dinosaurian origin of many of the "better" prints was dramatically confirmed when Glen Kuban and Ron Hastings found color markings which preserved the outline of three-toed dinosaur feet. Although there have been some insinuations that these markings could be artificial stains, core samples show that they were caused by an infilling of secondary sediment into the prints. This evidence has caused most creationists to abandon the Paluxy footprints, although claims about them continue to circulate. For further details read Kuban (1996), or Strahler (1987). (See also Kuban's web site on the Paluxy River controversy"
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:27 am
@Numpty,
If Quantum theory is more believable than Evolution, would you like to explain quantum particle entanglement to me?

I want to hear this, it's potentially Nobel winning stuff.
0 Replies