Noah's Ark. Fact or Fiction?

Campbell34

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:05 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48323 wrote:
justin who?

Justin Martyr. I was speaking of his two Apologies and his Dialogue with Trypho. These accounts are universally accepted. And are preserved only in the Sacra parallela; and besides that, they were known by Tatian, Methodius, and Eusebius. Their influence is traceable in Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch, the Pseudo-Melito, and especially Tertullian.
Justin Quotes from the Roman record of the Acts of Pontius Pilate. These letters were lost to history, yet his quoting form them, is accepted as a true quote from Pontius Pilate himself.

Justin Martyr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Campbell34

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:26 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48308 wrote:
Hold on now... please link to the LETTERS of Pontius Pilate (other than a religious website)

Their is only one artifact, that even makes a hint that their was a regional governor named Pilate

Image:Pilate-inscription 03.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats it... No documents no other historical (non biblical) accounts only that Rock, and it was found in 1961

The Letters of Pontius Pilate no longer exist to my knowledge, they were quoted and spoken of by Justin Martyr during the second century. Justin Martyr's two Apologies are where these quotes are found. And his two Apologies are universally accepted because other historians speak of his Apologies.
As a side note, many non believers of the Bible said there was no evidence that a governor named Pilate even existed in Jerusalem. And these same people said, all we have for evidence of such is the Bible. Which they did not believe. Well as a Christian, it's nice to see that (ROCK) proves the Bible to be correct again. Was it not Jesus who once said that if men donot proclaim the truth of God, that the very rocks will cry out?

0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:29 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48354 wrote:
Justin Martyr. I was speaking of his two Apologies and his Dialogue with Trypho. These accounts are universally accepted. And are preserved only in the Sacra parallela; and besides that, they were known by Tatian, Methodius, and Eusebius. Their influence is traceable in Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch, the Pseudo-Melito, and especially Tertullian.
Justin Quotes from the Roman record of the Acts of Pontius Pilate. These letters were lost to history, yet his quoting form them, is accepted as a true quote from Pontius Pilate himself.

ummm....Justin isn't a historian.
Campbell34

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:48 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48357 wrote:
ummm....Justin isn't a historian.

Justin may not be thought of as a historian, yet his writings are considered historically accurate by other historians.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 09:41 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48368 wrote:
Justin may not be thought of as a historian, yet his writings are considered historically accurate by other historians.

Justin was a christian theologian who was born in 100 AD, not only did he not write first hand account but more likely 2nd and 3rd hand accounts, but he is hardly what you can consider unbiased on the subject metter!
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 10:58 am
@Numpty,
the point is well mae that it was 3 and 4 th accounts... Play a game a telephone, over a few people and even a simple phrase is changed
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48458 wrote:
the point is well mae that it was 3 and 4 th accounts... Play a game a telephone, over a few people and even a simple phrase is changed

precisely! :thumbup:
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:35 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48432 wrote:
Justin was a christian theologian who was born in 100 AD, not only did he not write first hand account but more likely 2nd and 3rd hand accounts, but he is hardly what you can consider unbiased on the subject metter!

No one ever said he was writing a first hand account, he was quoting from the Acts of Pontius Pilate, which was still in existance. Justin presented this first "Apology" to Emperor Antoninus Pius (A.D. 138-161) and the senate of Rome, about the year 140 A.D. having mentioned the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and some of its attendant circumstances, adds, "And these things were done, you may know from the 'Acts' made in the time of Pontius Pilate."

Justin was telling the Emperor and the Roman Senate that if they question the prophecies of the Bible about Christ healing all diseases and that he raised the dead all you have to to is read the personal accounts of Pontius Pilate. He would not say this unless it were true. In the end, they killed him anyway.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 06:14 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48724 wrote:
No one ever said he was writing a first hand account, he was quoting from the Acts of Pontius Pilate, which was still in existance. Justin presented this first "Apology" to Emperor Antoninus Pius (A.D. 138-161) and the senate of Rome, about the year 140 A.D. having mentioned the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and some of its attendant circumstances, adds, "And these things were done, you may know from the 'Acts' made in the time of Pontius Pilate."

Justin was telling the Emperor and the Roman Senate that if they question the prophecies of the Bible about Christ healing all diseases and that he raised the dead all you have to to is read the personal accounts of Pontius Pilate. He would not say this unless it were true. In the end, they killed him anyway.

as much as you want to take stories about the living dead as history, it's not. If he was writting about history then he would've been a historian but he isn't, he was a theologian, he writes about theology not history.
Campbell34

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:02 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48756 wrote:
as much as you want to take stories about the living dead as history, it's not. If he was writting about history then he would've been a historian but he isn't, he was a theologian, he writes about theology not history.

Yes, yet historians quote from his writings and see no problem doing so, and that is one of the reasons we know that the Acts of Pontius Pilot even existed. Much of the historical accounts we have today often does not come from historians, but people from the time period sending personal letters or other avenues of writings. The one's who might resist his quotes of course are those who oppose how they mirror the Gospels. The Bible is also written from a spiritual slant, yet that does not make it's historical accounts any less valid. In fact, we often know of history only because of the Bible, so to rule out such a valuable resource would be unfortunate. Especially if we are ruling it out only because of out opposition to someone being a theologian.
thomascrosthwaite

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:00 pm
@Numpty,
I take all historical accounts over 60 years old with a grain of salt. It is even believed that the romance of Abe Lincolon and Ann Rutledge is largely legend. However, it is a great story. Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
Campbell34

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:07 pm
@thomascrosthwaite,
thomascrosthwaite;48807 wrote:
I take all historical accounts over 60 years old with a grain of salt. It is even believed that the romance of Abe Lincolon and Ann Rutledge is largely legend. However, it is a great story. Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author

So, do you believe that there was an American Civil War? Or how about Americas fight for independence? Do you take all of that with a grain of salt?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 06:20 pm
@Campbell34,
Quote:
Yes, yet historians quote from his writings and see no problem doing so

we also quote plato and his stories of Atlantis as well...

Quote:
and that is one of the reasons we know that the Acts of Pontius Pilot even existed.

CORRECTION: that is one of the reasons we think that the Acts of Pontius Pilot even existed.

Quote:
Much of the historical accounts we have today often does not come from historians, but people from the time period sending personal letters or other avenues of writings.

two problems

1. Justin wasn't writting from personal experience

2. those non-historian accounts are only accepted if they have corroberating evidence, to which there is none for justin.

Quote:
The one's who might resist his quotes of course are those who oppose how they mirror the Gospels.

they do match the gosphels, but that doesn't make them historical fact.

Quote:
The Bible is also written from a spiritual slant, yet that does not make it's historical accounts any less valid.

it does if there is no corroberating evidence.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 06:22 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48809 wrote:
So, do you believe that there was an American Civil War? Or how about Americas fight for independence? Do you take all of that with a grain of salt?

he would if there was only one account of it.
Campbell34

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:48 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48813 wrote:
we also quote plato and his stories of Atlantis as well...

CORRECTION: that is one of the reasons we think that the Acts of Pontius Pilot even existed.

two problems

1. Justin wasn't writting from personal experience

2. those non-historian accounts are only accepted if they have corroberating evidence, to which there is none for justin.

they do match the gosphels, but that doesn't make them historical fact.

it does if there is no corroberating evidence.

Atlantis has no evidence outside of Plato, Justin's writings has evidence beyond his.

Justin did not claim to be speaking from his personal experience. Yet, the authenticity of Justin's Apologies and the Dialogue with Trypho is universally accepted. They were know by Tatian, Methodius, and Eusebius, their influence is traceable in Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch, the Pseudo-Melito, and especially Tertullian.

And without question, there is corroberatring evidence for Justin.

And since the Bible is being shown to be a Book filled with historical facts, it also lends weight to Justins Apologies.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:09 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48814 wrote:
he would if there was only one account of it.

Well, the Bible has a number of eyewitiness accounts written by various authors, and all these accounts have been assembled in One Book. So it appears the number of accounts is not the problem. I suppose if we could put all the accounts of the Civil War in one book, I wonder if he would refuse to believe that happend?
thomascrosthwaite

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
@Numpty,
Yes, Mr. Campbell I Believe there was a Civil War. I talk about it on my website.Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author. I do not necessarily believe everything I have read about it. I never state as a fact that the bloodest war in history was fought between the church of Rome and the church of Constanannoble because I believe that this has been exaggerated. I do not question that the war took place.
0 Replies

thomascrosthwaite

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:29 am
@Numpty,
Mr. Campbell, I am aware that someone has written a book entitled, "The Perfect Harmony Of The Scriptures". However, if any intelligent person had read the Bible and not just parts of it as most Christians seem to have done, they would have to be aware that the accounts of the same events mention contain contradictions ,as have already been pointed out to you. Freewebs.com - Free website, free hosting, free webpage - Make a web site with photo albums, blogs, videos, forums and more! thomascrosthwaite/
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46347 wrote:
Well the other day I read an article in one newspaper and then saw an article on the same topic in another paper. Yet I did not automatically assume that the one paper had to borrow the story from the other paper. Two different papers speaking of the same event from a different perspective is entirely possible. I think what bothers me is how some just ASSUME the story had to be borrowed.

Let me guess, were there hundreds of years difference between the two articles and did all the people have different names?

I rest my case.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48912 wrote:
Well, the Bible has a number of eyewitiness accounts written by various authors, and all these accounts have been assembled in One Book. So it appears the number of accounts is not the problem. I suppose if we could put all the accounts of the Civil War in one book, I wonder if he would refuse to believe that happend?

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:

[SIZE="3"]HA HA HA HA[/SIZE]

That's the biggest load of crap i've heard in a long time!

I'd like to see these first person accounts from witnesses.