Noah's Ark. Fact or Fiction?

Numpty

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:49 am
The single greatest story in the bible for me is the one about Noah, a 600 year old man who, with his sons, embarks on building with their bare hands the single biggest floating structure the world has ever seen and will probably ever see.

If the literal meaning is to be taken, every single species on land was taken onboard the ark,including 350,000 species of beetle. Not only this but how were all the animals fed, bear in mind they had no contact with land for 40 days, there were alot of herbivores on that there ark how did they survive?

Of all the stories in the bible this one brings it crashing back down to earth with a bang. Here is a site with a more qualified person than I who has researched the plot of the ark and IMO completely dismantled the ark story and made it look what it is,....A fairy story.

Noah's Ark - a sinking ship (with only one pair of rats)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,423 • Replies: 123
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:56 am
@Numpty,
this is a dead issue for me. The Ark story is an adaptation of the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh which was based off of a real event wherein an early melt coupled with record rainfall caused a massive local flood in the region
rugonnacry

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:31 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty... the Bible explains how the animals were fed.

I am not AM NOT a supporter of the Noash Ark theory.

However if you are interested more in the Ark story, is suggest you read a book (left out of the bible) called The BOOK OF ENOCH... enoch was Noahs Grandfather, and he said the flood wiped out Giants and demons and ...... Aliens.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:14 pm
@Numpty,
Jewish adaptation of 'Epic of Gilgamesh'. Sumerian, I believe. Borrowed tale from the nightmares of Mesopotamian flood-plain problems.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:16 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;45983 wrote:
this is a dead issue for me. The Ark story is an adaptation of the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh which was based off of a real event wherein an early melt coupled with record rainfall caused a massive local flood in the region

Didn't read ya. Spot on.:thumbup:
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:49 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46094 wrote:
Jewish adaptation of 'Epic of Gilgamesh'. Sumerian, I believe. Borrowed tale from the nightmares of Mesopotamian flood-plain problems.

Borrowed!? :wtf:
Campbell34

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:08 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46138 wrote:

Despite superfical similarities, the differences between the two accounts are quite signficant. In the Gilgamesh account the Gods destroyed the human race because man was making so much noise that the Gods could not sleep. In the Gilgamesh account the God Ea told Utnapishtim to lie to his neighbors so they would help him build the boat. The Gilgamesh account has the boat built and ready to float in 7 days. The size of the boat is 200ft. by 200ft. by 200ft. another words, unseaworthy. In the Gilgamesh account it states that when the water came the Gods scrambled to get away from the flood like whipped dogs. Because the story is similar to the Biblical account, this does not necessarly mean it was borrowed. Also the tablet that it was written on was dated to be around 650 B.C. These tablets are not the originals, since fragments of the flood story have been found on tablets that date to 2,000 B.C. It is likely that the story itself originated much before that, since the Sumerian cuneiform writing has been estimated to go as far back as 3,300 B.C.
briansol

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:38 am
@Numpty,
it's a story made up to back up the made up story of the garden of eden being washed away.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 04:33 pm
@Numpty,
Are we sure Katrina didn't inspire it in some way? And if so, then yes......Bush is somehow responsible, yet again. I knew it. I just knew it. BUSH IS IN THE BIBLE, TOO.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:27 pm
@Numpty,
lol @ 200 ft by 200 ft by 200 ft being proof its not the same story... there is no current method of measurement, that can define what a CUBIT is (the bibles reference of measurement)
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:13 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46166 wrote:
Despite superfical similarities, the differences between the two accounts are quite signficant. In the Gilgamesh account the Gods destroyed the human race because man was making so much noise that the Gods could not sleep. In the Gilgamesh account the God Ea told Utnapishtim to lie to his neighbors so they would help him build the boat. The Gilgamesh account has the boat built and ready to float in 7 days. The size of the boat is 200ft. by 200ft. by 200ft. another words, unseaworthy. In the Gilgamesh account it states that when the water came the Gods scrambled to get away from the flood like whipped dogs. Because the story is similar to the Biblical account, this does not necessarly mean it was borrowed. Also the tablet that it was written on was dated to be around 650 B.C. These tablets are not the originals, since fragments of the flood story have been found on tablets that date to 2,000 B.C. It is likely that the story itself originated much before that, since the Sumerian cuneiform writing has been estimated to go as far back as 3,300 B.C.

it's not the differences that concern me it's the similarities that do!
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:38 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46138 wrote:

Old news to anyone who studies history. Old, old news. The fact you haven't heard of it before serves as further evidence you don't read. :thumbdown:
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:44 pm
klyph;46226 wrote:
You swing from Bush's nuts like some sort of presidential testicular tarzan.
Do you have fantasies about George Bush sneaking into your room at night and "invading your privacy"?

Now, lemme school ya. You've just insulted me, without moderator intervention. So, it would appear I'm free to bite back in like fashion. See how it starts? I'll nip back, then it'll be your turn, and then I'll snack some more. Eventually, it'll become a contest, which all here will watch. I'll start preying on you, deliberately making you as angry as I can, to get you to lose composure. I'll get the upper hand, and start to really piss you off, still within the framework and confines of the conversation we started long ago. Finally, out of desperation and outrage, you'll try to hurt me anyway you can, and cry to The Man. You'll allege that I've 'broken the ROE', which we'll both be very guilty of, from the start. To keep the peace, The Man will censor ME, since I'm obviously better than you are at this game, even though I've done nothing you didn't do, just as many times. It's old, and I'm a bit tired of it. They ban me for it, which gets old. So.....I'll keep mine, and let you hold forth with yours. I'll keep swinging from Bush's nuts, until they rest again, on your stubbled chin. "All them yankees look good, with my **** in their mouths." -- GW Very Happy

Jus school'n ya. Das all. Jus school'n ya. Don get all pissed or nuff'n.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:54 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46295 wrote:
Old news to anyone who studies history. Old, old news. The fact you haven't heard of it before serves as further evidence you don't read. :thumbdown:

No i was questioning your usage of words....noah's ark wasn't borrowed...the creator didn't borrow anything, he didn't return or intend on returning anything

the story was Stolen, it's an outright plagurization!

(Perhaps you should learn to read within a context!)
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:56 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46297 wrote:
Now, lemme school ya. You've just insulted me, without moderator intervention. So, it would appear I'm free to bite back in like fashion. See how it starts? I'll nip back, then it'll be your turn, and then I'll snack some more. Eventually, it'll become a contest, which all here will watch. I'll start preying on you, deliberately making you as angry as I can, to get you to lose composure. I'll get the upper hand, and start to really piss you off, still within the framework and confines of the conversation we started long ago. Finally, out of desperation and outrage, you'll try to hurt me anyway you can, and cry to The Man. You'll allege that I've 'broken the ROE', which we'll both be very guilty of, from the start. To keep the peace, The Man will censor ME, since I'm obviously better than you are at this game, even though I've done nothing you didn't do, just as many times. It's old, and I'm a bit tired of it. They ban me for it, which gets old. So.....I'll keep mine, and let you hold forth with yours. I'll keep swinging from Bush's nuts, until they rest again, on your stubbled chin. "All them yankees look good, with my **** in their mouths." -- GW Very Happy

All bark and no bite! looks like what he said struck a nerve!

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:56 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46298 wrote:
No i was questioning your usage of words....noah's ark wasn't borrowed...the creator didn't borrow anything, he didn't return or intend on returning anything

the story was Stolen, it's an outright plagurization!

(Perhaps you should learn to read within a context!)

So, you know the word 'context', eh? I'm impressed.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:57 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46300 wrote:
So, you know the word 'context', eh? I'm impressed.

I'm surprised you can read!
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:34 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46249 wrote:
it's not the differences that concern me it's the similarities that do!

Well the other day I read an article in one newspaper and then saw an article on the same topic in another paper. Yet I did not automatically assume that the one paper had to borrow the story from the other paper. Two different papers speaking of the same event from a different perspective is entirely possible. I think what bothers me is how some just ASSUME the story had to be borrowed.
mako cv

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:36 am
@Campbell34,
Kinda like assuming the Mithran Consecration Supper, the Krishnan story of the slaughter of the innocents, the death, descent into Hell, and resurection of Mithra, the twelve disciples of Mithra and Krishna, the virgin birth (albeit from female deities) of Mithra and Krishna, the visit by shepherds and wise men to Mithra were borrowed by Chrisitianity...LOL :patriot:
Numpty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:08 am
@mako cv,
Alot of Christians now dismiss the Noah story (alot don't as well) because in reality and scientifically speaking the idea is just completely implausable. They accept it as part of the bible story and understand it but don't believe in it's 'literal' sense.

So if the Noah story can be proved wrong (look at this site befpre you post Noah's Ark - a sinking ship (with only one pair of rats) ) then what proof is there for the rest of the fairy stories. Up untill say 200 years ago the bible was taken as FACT all the stories were believed to have 'happened'. Through questioning, research and study thestory of noah has been shown to be what it is a story of fiction, a myth. So if the story of Noah is not real where then is the real proof the story of jesus is real. (again before you post watch these documentries. http://www.conflictingviews.com/t2533/ )

Compelling evidence that certainly pose alot of questions.