Noah's Ark. Fact or Fiction?

rugonnacry

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:22 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;46364 wrote:
Alot of Christians now dismiss the Noah story (alot don't as well) because in reality and scientifically speaking the idea is just completely implausable. They accept it as part of the bible story and understand it but don't believe in it's 'literal' sense.

Its as believable as some benevolent invisible all powerful GOD
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;46370 wrote:
Its as believable as some benevolent invisible all powerful GOD

LOL, tru dat!
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:43 am
@mako cv,
mako;46360 wrote:
Kinda like assuming the Mithran Consecration Supper, the Krishnan story of the slaughter of the innocents, the death, descent into Hell, and resurection of Mithra, the twelve disciples of Mithra and Krishna, the virgin birth (albeit from female deities) of Mithra and Krishna, the visit by shepherds and wise men to Mithra were borrowed by Chrisitianity...LOL :patriot:

Similar stories do not mean they were borrowed. And the 300 prophecies of Christ were written over a 1,000 years before His appearance.
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:05 am
@Numpty,
Campbell, I can write 400 prophecies today, and in 1000 years, if you look hard enough SOMEONE will fit with a third of them (much like this Jesus cat did) even if we have to make up a few stories to fill in some of them (The rape Of mary so as (as it states the law in Deuteronomy) she is not stoned to death, they claimed the immaculate conception.)
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 04:37 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46489 wrote:
Similar stories do not mean they were borrowed. And the 300 prophecies of Christ were written over a 1,000 years before His appearance.

it's a story, you can make whatever you want to happen!
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:18 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;46495 wrote:
Campbell, I can write 400 prophecies today, and in 1000 years, if you look hard enough SOMEONE will fit with a third of them (much like this Jesus cat did) even if we have to make up a few stories to fill in some of them (The rape Of mary so as (as it states the law in Deuteronomy) she is not stoned to death, they claimed the immaculate conception.)

Well there's the problem, some of yours will fit. Yet you see, according to the Bible, all of them had to fit. And in the case of Jesus Christ, all 300 of them did. And they did not all fit because of luck. Just as the prophecies of the end times are being fulfilled in our life time. Here again, this is not happening because of luck. These obvious prophecies to those who donot want to believe in a God of judgement, must be obscured and ignored with lame human reasons, and nonsense.
rugonnacry

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46539 wrote:
Well there's the problem, some of yours will fit. Yet you see, according to the Bible, all of them had to fit. And in the case of Jesus Christ, all 300 of them did. And they did not all fit because of luck. Just as the prophecies of the end times are being fulfilled in our life time. Here again, this is not happening because of luck. These obvious prophecies to those who donot want to believe in a God of judgement, must be obscured and ignored with lame human reasons, and nonsense.

There were thousands of prophecies about the coming messiah.... ONLY 300 have fit, Not ALL 300.... ONLY 300...

again i can wright 1000 prophecies and 300 will fit someone in 1000 years, and then someone like you will defend my prophecies and say all 300 of them were fullfilled.
Campbell34

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:42 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;46094 wrote:
Jewish adaptation of 'Epic of Gilgamesh'. Sumerian, I believe. Borrowed tale from the nightmares of Mesopotamian flood-plain problems.

If the story of Noahs Ark was borrowed from the "Epic of Gilgamesh", was the sinking of the Titanic really just borrowed from the book "The Futility of God by Jack W. Hannah which was first published in 1898?

In 1898 Robertson wrote a novel 14 years before the sinking of the Titanic. In his novel the ship the Titan which was described as the largest passenger ship ever to sail the seas was cruising the North Atlantic. The ships length was 800 ft. with 15 watertight compartments. She was driven by 40,000 horsepower, and had 3 propellers. On an April night the ship was traveling at an excessive speed and had a collision with an Iceberg. Of course the novel pointed out that there were too few life boats on the ship because the law did not require that there be enought lifeboats for every man woman and child.

Should we really automatically say an event was borrowed just because it reflects a similar story. If we believe that, perhaps the sinking of the Titanic really never happened. Perhaps that was a story borrowed from an earlier story. Well we have evidence that the Titanic did sink, so that would be a ridiculous arguement. Yet, just because there are stories of the flood that were written before the Bible is not a good reason to suggest it never happened. Just as it would be foolish to say that the Titanic never sank because we have a similar story that matched her sinking written 14 years before that event happened.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;46541 wrote:
There were thousands of prophecies about the coming messiah.... ONLY 300 have fit, Not ALL 300.... ONLY 300...

again i can wright 1000 prophecies and 300 will fit someone in 1000 years, and then someone like you will defend my prophecies and say all 300 of them were fullfilled.

You really don't get it. I know of at least 365 prophecies. There may be more, but everyone of them will fit. (Not just some of them.) And the prophecies had to fit a very narrow time period. The prophecies would only be valid while the Temple of Israel was still standing.

According to the Old Testament this man of God who was to come would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2) He would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14) He would come while the Temple in Jerusalem was still standing (Malachi 3:1) He would perfome many miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6) He would speak in parables (Psalm 78:2) The Gentiles would believe in Him, while His own people (the Jews) would reject him. Isaiah 8:14;28:16;49:6 50:6 60:3 A messenger (a man of the wilderness) will prepare the way for Him (Isa. 40:3; Malachi 3:1)
He would enter Jerusalem riding a donkey (Zechariah 9:9) He would be betrayed by a friend. (Psalm 41:9) The price of His betrayal would be thirty pieces of silver. (Zech. 11:12) His hands and his feet would be pierced. (Psalm 22:16 Zechariah 12:10) They would divide his clothing and cast lost for them (Psalm 22:18) He would be given vinegar and gall to drink. (Psalm 69:21) He will say: "MY God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" He will be resurrected from the dead (Psalm 16:10) He will ascend into heaven (Psalm 68:18) His death was to make an end to sin. (Daniel 9:24).

These are just a few of the Messianic Prophecies that are only found in the Old Testament, yet over 2000 years later there is only one person in the world that is believe to of fulfilled them, and that persons name is Jesus Christ. There may be hidden prophecies that we have not yet discovered, yet what ever prophecy we find it will only show us all the more that it is Jesus Christ who has fulfilled them.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 11:54 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46544 wrote:
You really don't get it. I know of at least 365 prophecies. There may be more, but everyone of them will fit. (Not just some of them.) And the prophecies had to fit a very narrow time period. The prophecies would only be valid while the Temple of Israel was still standing.

According to the Old Testament this man of God who was to come would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2) He would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14) He would come while the Temple in Jerusalem was still standing (Malachi 3:1) He would perfome many miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6) He would speak in parables (Psalm 78:2) The Gentiles would believe in Him, while His own people (the Jews) would reject him. Isaiah 8:14;28:16;49:6 50:6 60:3 A messenger (a man of the wilderness) will prepare the way for Him (Isa. 40:3; Malachi 3:1)
He would enter Jerusalem riding a donkey (Zechariah 9:9) He would be betrayed by a friend. (Psalm 41:9) The price of His betrayal would be thirty pieces of silver. (Zech. 11:12) His hands and his feet would be pierced. (Psalm 22:16 Zechariah 12:10) They would divide his clothing and cast lost for them (Psalm 22:18) He would be given vinegar and gall to drink. (Psalm 69:21) He will say: "MY God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" He will be resurrected from the dead (Psalm 16:10) He will ascend into heaven (Psalm 68:18) His death was to make an end to sin. (Daniel 9:24).

These are just a few of the Messianic Prophecies that are only found in the Old Testament, yet over 2000 years later there is only one person in the world that is believe to of fulfilled them, and that persons name is Jesus Christ. There may be hidden prophecies that we have not yet discovered, yet what ever prophecy we find it will only show us all the more that it is Jesus Christ who has fulfilled them.

Yeah i can write a book and make some prophecies in the begining, and then miraculously have a main character fullfill those prophecies..... but can you find any historical or scientific evidence that ANYONE was born of a virgin? Any evidence outside of the book that made the prophecies in the first place?

CASE CLOSED!
Campbell34

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 07:33 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46553 wrote:
Yeah i can write a book and make some prophecies in the begining, and then miraculously have a main character fullfill those prophecies..... but can you find any historical or scientific evidence that ANYONE was born of a virgin? Any evidence outside of the book that made the prophecies in the first place?

CASE CLOSED!

Well there is (Historical evidence) which is extra Biblical evidence that tells us that at the time of Christ death, the earth became dark, and there is no explanation for this darkness at the given time of His death.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46570 wrote:
Well there is (Historical evidence) which is extra Biblical evidence that tells us that at the time of Christ death, the earth became dark, and there is no explanation for this darkness at the given time of His death.

I take that as a no.
Campbell34

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 02:14 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46581 wrote:
I take that as a no.

The point is there are many things I can't prove. Yet there are things that have evidence that could be pointed to. For sure, if you don't want to believe, all the evidence in the world will not convince you. God does not force anyone to go to heaven. That is a choice we all must make on are own. And if the Bible is true, then I would think one would take the time to consider some of it's claims.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46608 wrote:
The point is there are many things I can't prove. Yet there are things that have evidence that could be pointed to. For sure, if you don't want to believe, all the evidence in the world will not convince you. God does not force anyone to go to heaven. That is a choice we all must make on are own. And if the Bible is true, then I would think one would take the time to consider some of it's claims.

you have nothing that qualifies as scientific evidence, that would point to a god especially the specific god you speak of! Of course you could show me of usually things that suggest to you that it was god like the sun being blocked or a river flooding but those are all things that can be explained naturally...
Campbell34

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:09 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46631 wrote:
you have nothing that qualifies as scientific evidence, that would point to a god especially the specific god you speak of! Of course you could show me of usually things that suggest to you that it was god like the sun being blocked or a river flooding but those are all things that can be explained naturally...

The preternatural darkness reported at Jesus' crucifixion was no metaphor. It was a real historical event based on eyewitness accounts and independently corroborated by a number of highly qualified ancient historians.

Thallus (circa AD 52) wrote a history about the middle east from the time of the Trojan War to his own time.

Reference To Jesus Christ

This darkness Thallus, in the third book of History, calls, AS IT APPEARS TO ME WITHOUT REASON, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse occure when the moon is almost diameterically opposite the sun?

Phlegon records that in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth-manifestly that one of which we speak." -The Extant Writings of Julius Africanus 18

These accounts match the Biblical accounts. How may we explain this three hour eclipse as a normal occurance?

Dr. Paul Maier, Professor of Ancient History at Western Michigan University, notes this phenomenon, evidently, was visible in Rome, Athens, and other Mediterranean cities.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:30 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46652 wrote:
The preternatural darkness reported at Jesus' crucifixion was no metaphor. It was a real historical event based on eyewitness accounts and independently corroborated by a number of highly qualified ancient historians.

Thallus (circa AD 52) wrote a history about the middle east from the time of the Trojan War to his own time.

Reference To Jesus Christ

This darkness Thallus, in the third book of History, calls, AS IT APPEARS TO ME WITHOUT REASON, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse occure when the moon is almost diameterically opposite the sun?

Phlegon records that in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth-manifestly that one of which we speak." -The Extant Writings of Julius Africanus 18

These accounts match the Biblical accounts. How may we explain this three hour eclipse as a normal occurance?

Dr. Paul Maier, Professor of Ancient History at Western Michigan University, notes this phenomenon, evidently, was visible in Rome, Athens, and other Mediterranean cities.

Like i said before such events can be explained naturally, people in ancient times used to think that lightning was the direct result of a god's wrath....today we know better! Unless there was a giant sign on the moon that said "God Did This" there is no reason to jump to conclusions!
Campbell34

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 04:51 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46654 wrote:
Like i said before such events can be explained naturally, people in ancient times used to think that lightning was the direct result of a god's wrath....today we know better! Unless there was a giant sign on the moon that said "God Did This" there is no reason to jump to conclusions!

Well can you explain the 3 hour duration? And does it not seem odd that this event historically took place at the exact time that Jesus was on the cross in Jerusalem? I mean, did you miss that point?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:16 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46670 wrote:
Well can you explain the 3 hour duration? And does it not seem odd that this event historically took place at the exact time that Jesus was on the cross in Jerusalem? I mean, did you miss that point?

I don't have a clue how the ancient would've known the eclipse lasted three hours escpecialy since their time-telling techniques was based on the position of shadows and the sun, assmuing the three hour description is accurate what is significant about a 3-hour eclipse, how does it signify the existance of a god especially a christian god?

and no i don't find it strange that it took place at the same time of jesus' death because the bible was written after the supposed death of jesus, assuming jesus was a real person anyway...
Campbell34

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:37 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46671 wrote:
I don't have a clue how the ancient would've known the eclipse lasted three hours escpecialy since their time-telling techniques was based on the position of shadows and the sun, assmuing the three hour description is accurate what is significant about a 3-hour eclipse, how does it signify the existance of a god especially a christian god?

and no i don't find it strange that it took place at the same time of jesus' death because the bible was written after the supposed death of jesus, assuming jesus was a real person anyway...

The report of this came from Phcegon in the time of Tiberius caesar not the Bible, and it was also spoken of by Thaccus circa who was a historian in 52 A.D. And Thaccus circa spoke of Christ death and the day of his death which was evidence beyond the Bible. The time of the event matched the time given in the Bible for the death of Christ on the cross. And the Bible stated that darkness came over all the land, and that darkness was confirmed by these two historical figures. And an eclipes does not last for 3 hours. Now if you can put two and two together, it just might give you a reason to believe in the existance of a Christian God.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:44 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;46676 wrote:
The report of this came from Phcegon in the time of Tiberius caesar not the Bible, and it was also spoken of by Thaccus circa who was a historian in 52 A.D. And Thaccus circa spoke of Christ death and the day of his death which was evidence beyond the Bible. The time of the event matched the time given in the Bible for the death of Christ on the cross. And the Bible stated that darkness came over all the land, and that darkness was confirmed by these two historical figures. And an eclipes does not last for 3 hours. Now if you can put two and two together, it just might give you a reason to believe in the existance of a Christian God.

No Historian has ever mentioned anybody by the name jesus, only 2 historian Ever have mentioned "Christeus" or "Cristos" which is Christ, which is a title not a name!

Christ means "the annointed one"...