Should Religious Universities Be Accredited?

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:51 am
First, let me express appreciation for religious institutions establishing higher education in the United States. Harvard, the oldest and most prestigious university in America was founded as a religious institution to train ministers. The University of Chicago was founded as a Baptist school, and the co-founder of Vanderbilt was a bishop in the Methodist church. These universities are now secular or mostly so. This is because science has largely replaced religion as an authority in the academic community. Read the book of Genesis in the Bible and you will find out why. It is something that you would read to a four or five year old. Since religious schools go against mainstream universities and exist to indoctrinate rather than to truly educate, to the benefit of power seekers, such as the Rev. Pat Roberson, should they enjoy accreditation? Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:19 pm
@thomascrosthwaite,
Yes, but only Judeo-Christian universities. Muslim schools, for example, should be outlawed.
hatukazi

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:13 pm
@Pinochet73,
Good question.....
I would say that the programs that are NOT religious in nature taught at these universities should be accredited, religion based programs should only hold credit within the religions they support.
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:15 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47155 wrote:
Yes, but only Judeo-Christian universities. Muslim schools, for example, should be outlawed.

your irrational hatred sickens me, as well as perpetuates the demise of our free country.
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;47178 wrote:
your irrational hatred sickens me, as well as perpetuates the demise of our free country.

What's the alternative? Your typical 'Minnesota Liberalism and Conspiracist Paranoia'? No thanks. And don't worry -- I promise to pipe in some sunshine and oxygen to keep you alive this winter. Very Happy

P.S.,

Why haven't you called the FBI on me yet???? I confessed: I HELPED BUSH PULL OFF 911. I DID IT. What more do you need? Call in the frig'n Feds. I CONFESSED. I DID IT.
hatukazi

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:48 pm
@Pinochet73,
.....and getting back to your original off topic comment, pick up your copy of our constitution and find where it says you can either make a law or outlaw anything based on religion.

and for the record, AQ does not represent muslim beliefs, in point of fact any muslim who truly beilieves in his/her religion would hate AQ for their actions just as much as you yourself do.

just as any christian who truly believes in the words and deeds of our savior would not hate/judge ANYONE for any reason whatsoever.
0 Replies

thomascrosthwaite

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:54 pm
@thomascrosthwaite,
I recall reading in "Elmer Gantry" that one of charaters made the statement that a proper school would only teach gramer, math and accounting, or aomething like that. This idea even seem to be quite popular in the 1950s when I was in high school. Religious universities have their on versons of science, history and psychology, and are scared to death to let their students study these subjects anywhere else.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:09 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47202 wrote:
What's the alternative?

Equality.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;47271 wrote:
Equality.

So, you want America to make the entire world equal by essentially destroying itself. Nuts. Do that on your time and dime.:no:
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:21 pm
@Pinochet73,
Because they are religious in nature, they should not receive government sponsorship in any form or fashion. However, if they offer the SAME classes that any other university offers, meaning that *I* can walk in there and get a degree without touching a single religious course, then I believe they should receive that accreditation on the basis that they are a University that happens to offer excellent religious courses and theistic degrees BUT as elective courses only. In the event that you choose this route, then your elective class would then become... I dunno... science or whatnot. You should not be required to take that course because it is not the aim of your major.

Secondly, the deans and heads of the theological department COULD NOT dictate what happens in ANY other course. No "ID is an alternative to Evolution" in the textbooks, no choices in their textbooks, nothing.

And vice versa. The science department couldn't say a peep about what goes on behind those church doors. Religious symbols IN MODERATION is not a problem. Let me just tell you, no sane human is gonna get pissed over a Christmas tree. Just don't friggin bombard people with it. Want a picture of Jesus up somewhere? Go for it, Jesus is a cool guy. I just wouldn't wanna walk through the halls and see "Jesus, Jesus, crucifix, Jesus, bible, bible, Jesus, Jesus, Ark"... ya know what I mean?

I'm sure if you agree to that, the science guys won't wallpaper the campus in Darwin portraits and beagles.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:57 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47336 wrote:
Because they are religious in nature, they should not receive government sponsorship in any form or fashion. However, if they offer the SAME classes that any other university offers, meaning that *I* can walk in there and get a degree without touching a single religious course, then I believe they should receive that accreditation on the basis that they are a University that happens to offer excellent religious courses and theistic degrees BUT as elective courses only. In the event that you choose this route, then your elective class would then become... I dunno... science or whatnot. You should not be required to take that course because it is not the aim of your major.

Secondly, the deans and heads of the theological department COULD NOT dictate what happens in ANY other course. No "ID is an alternative to Evolution" in the textbooks, no choices in their textbooks, nothing.

And vice versa. The science department couldn't say a peep about what goes on behind those church doors. Religious symbols IN MODERATION is not a problem. Let me just tell you, no sane human is gonna get pissed over a Christmas tree. Just don't friggin bombard people with it. Want a picture of Jesus up somewhere? Go for it, Jesus is a cool guy. I just wouldn't wanna walk through the halls and see "Jesus, Jesus, crucifix, Jesus, bible, bible, Jesus, Jesus, Ark"... ya know what I mean?

I'm sure if you agree to that, the science guys won't wallpaper the campus in Darwin portraits and beagles.

Again, Judeo-Christian schools -- hell yes. Anything else, hell no. Muslim schools should be closed down NOW. Islam should be outlawed. I personally loathe it.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:43 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47364 wrote:
Again, Judeo-Christian schools -- hell yes. Anything else, hell no. Muslim schools should be closed down NOW. Islam should be outlawed. I personally loathe it.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Your personal loathing is not sufficient reason to shut something down. There are things I personally loathe, but must tolerate because it is their right.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47388 wrote:
Your personal loathing is not sufficient reason to shut something down. There are things I personally loathe, but must tolerate because it is their right.

Nonsense. Tolerance is another word for cowardice.:rocketwhore:
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:56 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47410 wrote:
Nonsense. Tolerance is another word for cowardice.:rocketwhore:

Intolerance is another word for fascism.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:38 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47295 wrote:
So, you want America to make the entire world equal by essentially destroying itself. Nuts. Do that on your time and dime.:no:

anyone against equality is a hypocrite, because they expect respect for themselves yet deny it to others!
hatukazi

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47364 wrote:

why is it OK for you to loathe a whole religion worth of people you have had no personal contact with?

is it OK in your mind for muslims to hate and loathe you and your religion, as well as make plans to pave the world over with their beliefs at the end of rifle barrels killing all who don't obey?

all for the new islamdom(sp):rocketwhore::AR15firing:???
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:02 pm
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;47500 wrote:
why is it OK for you to loathe a whole religion worth of people you have had no personal contact with?

is it OK in your mind for muslims to hate and loathe you and your religion, as well as make plans to pave the world over with their beliefs at the end of rifle barrels killing all who don't obey?

all for the new islamdom(sp):rocketwhore::AR15firing:???

Does knowing quite a few Muslims in my lifetime count? I mean....since you know everything:rollinglaugh:, can you tell me that?
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47437 wrote:
Intolerance is another word for fascism.

So let's keep talking to each other in code. :banana::drive::spaz::bunny:
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:17 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47534 wrote:
Does knowing quite a few Muslims in my lifetime count? I mean....since you know everything:rollinglaugh:, can you tell me that?

just like talking to a rock.

if they were your parolees it definately does not.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:36 am
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;47579 wrote:
just like talking to a rock.

if they were your parolees it definately does not.

I'd compare pinochet to a screaming wall!
0 Replies