The Book of Questions - Would You Become a Quadriplegic?

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:14 am
Someone advised that I create a new thread for each question, and I think that's smooferilious idea (see that clary???) so, here we are. I priomise not to post to many questions at one time - I don't want to poop anyone out :-)

Assuming that complete recovery were instantaneous, would you be willing to accept a year of complete paralysis below the neck to prevent the otherwise extinction of the Blue Whale?

assuming the recovery was instantaneous....I don't know if I could bear it...I am just thinking of all the things I would miss...but then again...it would only be for a year....I think I could do it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,345 • Replies: 30
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:30 am
hell no......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:34 am
Absolutely not!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:36 am
Yes. No reservations.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 08:47 am
I have to be much more emphatic than the previous posters...

No f***ing way !!!

Sorry blue whale .....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:09 am
Sure!

Lest you think I'm a starry-eyed idealist, I'd write a book about the experience and rake in the dough. Razz
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:40 am
Edited : I think that my response was in poor taste....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:56 am
Do I get a blue whale penis at the end?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 09:57 am
Although the extinction of the Blue Whale is an important matter, I believe I would only do it if the situation were more serious and would include saving a loved one instead.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:01 am
Gautam obviously hasn't seen the latest zippy wheelchairs. Prop up my head, get me a good paid attendant or three, and I'm good to go.

(Not to trivialize what guadraplegics endure, but not to minimize what they're capable of, either.) (She says, having worked with several.)
0 Replies

hello

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:31 am
not a chance. ive been paralised from the waist down for 3 days, and that was hell. maybe id do it for, like skiing or something, but not whales. and yeah a whale penis would be a possible incentive :wink:
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:39 pm
onyxelle,

I am not sure how disabling a lone individual helps a specific group of individuals. It is like asking if you are ready to die for your country. A sane individual would recognize the questions were, at best, miss phrased.

The latter should be:

Are you willing to fight for your country?

Taken in that context your original question might seem more realistic and the actual act more productive if one envisions, say, becoming a Green Peace member that subsequently risks life and limb by trying to hamper large whaling vessels, in the pursuit of their prey.

I always remember my Drill Sargent insisting that his goal was not to train us to "Die for our country" but enable us to stay alive and therefore be more effective towards national security.

Implicit in both examples is the risk of injury and death. A simplistic, specific and direct trading of one's physical or mental effectiveness for another's well being makes little sense. In addition the promise of regaining all that is lost removes nobility from the act, the time lost notwithstanding.

So the short answer to your question is: NO.

Respectfully,

JM
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:44 pm
1) Sounds like a good chance to catch up on my reading, studying and writing. Meditate. Compose music. Catch up with old acquaintances, hang out and really chat. Poker and beer at my place! I could take up photography or painting. Or park me outdoors and there's plenty enough to see and do, even without arms or legs.

2) And truth is, my life is already a nightmare far more challenging than being a quadripelegic, so one more thing wouldn't make that much difference.

3) Also, blue whales can live as a species far more than any single person I can imagine. That's a huge amount of experience to extinguish!

4) Most things that happen in the world have absolutely nothing to do with any human being. The cultural value of a whole species to the world is enormous. With the extinction of the Blue Whales, a whole range of rich and robust experience would be lost. Our resiliency would be diminished. Our health, variety, options, biological and systemic activity would become smaller and weaker, not catastrophically but a bit stunted. Again, I'm not talking about you or your particular species. I'm talking about us, and the cultural heritage of the world.

5) Just because I have some loved ones that I care deeply about doesn't mean I disrespect or can't love others. Loving one person doesn't mean I exclude, devalue or ignore other people. Or other life forms. For me, the ability to love and care is autonomous and comes from within, not from some external "one-and-only" relationship.
Respect has little regard for who I happen to be looking at.
Even if that thing is a blue whale.

6) My arms and legs are pitifully minor compared to the extinction of an entire species. Just one year? Phhttt! Hundreds of things that I (and most people around me) have gone through are far worse!

7) Oh yeah. Sex. Well, most of the orgasms I've given have not involved anything below my neck. Like they say, "It's all in the head".

There is no idealism or morality involved here. It's just what I value.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:03 pm
I might. I'd truly have to think long and hard on that one, but I could see myself doing that.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:10 am
Yes under the following conditions:

1. Voice controlled computer, cable TV, lots of books, unlimited supply of DVD to be provided.

2. 3 sexy, intelligent caring attendants working in shifts for a 24 hour coverage.

3. A chef of my choosing available everyday.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:01 am
Yes. Absolutely - no cavils.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:04 am
I hate these theoretical morals questions.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:41 am
The problem with getting a blue whale penis is that you'd have to find a woman with a blue whale blow hole to get any action......and that is NOT a pretty mental picture.........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:43 am
Hmmm...BPB is right there, so my answer is no.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:50 am
Going by that logic I shud go for reduction surgery Twisted Evil
0 Replies