Bakers Declare War on Low-Carb Diets

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 05:42 am
Seems that there is a fallout caused by low-carb diets, such as Atkins and South Beach. Sales of bread are flat, and the baking industry is becoming anxious about it.

The honchos at the baking companies are putting their corporate heads together, to try and turn around the bad press that has depressed the bread making industry.

They are looking at what the egg industry (The incredible, edible egg) and the meat industry (Beef- that's what's for dinner) have done to turn around a poor perception of their products.

Link to bread article

Have you eaten less bakery products lately? I know I have. Since May, I have only had a flour product once. That was when I was in an Italian restaurant, and couldn't resist ordering Chicken Sicilian, which is breaded. Otherwise, zip, zilch, nada on the bread and bread products.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,752 • Replies: 5
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 05:53 am
The exercise would resolve some problems of intake of bread for mild cases in the usual occasion.
(I know much bread without exercise makes me fat through experience. I am not very fat now, BTW.)
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:01 am
I follow the low-carb diet off and on. I do not eat as much bread as I used to as well as other high carb foods. I am big on exercising so I can eat extra carbs and then burn them. However, today being Thanksgiving, all the rules are broken, and I'll eat anything I please! Please pass the pumpkin pie!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:38 pm
I follow a low carb diet and avoid all forms of flour products. Before I started that, I was already cutting back because of the high price of good quality breads. $3 for a loaf of bread is obscene and $1 for a bag of flavorless air-filled crust is a waste of money. It's the reason I bought a bread machine several years ago and started making my own bread. I wore it out about 6 months ago and haven't missed it or the bread.

This might turn out to be a good thing for the consumer that the bakeries are feeling a little flat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
I pretty much stopped eating bread years ago - at the time because I developed some sort of intolerance for something in most breads - I assume it is one of the "improving" products they use. Very nasty responses.

Now, I am also more or less doing no grains (which is sad, because I love rice).

I eat the odd bit of bread on special occasions - or when I crave it - which is seldom. I will pay happily for really good bread then, though.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:17 am
I eat bread practically everyday. Part of my morning ritual is walking to the cathedral and back as a form of exercise for body and spirit and on the way back, I buy some freshly baked bread. Whenever time permits, I bake cakes.

Too bad for the bakers, I won't be back in California until Summer of next year.
0 Replies