14 ounces (about 4 cups) cauliflower florets
1-1/4 cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 clove garlic
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup fresh baguette crumbs, crusts trimmed

In a double-boiler or a pan with a steamer insert, steam the cauliflower over high heat until it is quite tender, 7 to 10 minutes. When it's done, you should be able to crush a floret between your fingers. Undercooking will make the custard grainy. Remove the cauliflower from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. Reserve 4 florets for a garnish.

Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender and pulse several times to grind the florets. Add the heavy cream and puree the mixture until it is fairly smooth, but with tiny pieces of cauliflower still evident. Add the eggs, salt and nutmeg and pulse to blend.

Using a fine sieve, strain the mixture into a large measuring cup. Stir the puree with a rubber spatula to help it flow through the strainer, but do not press it as this will make the custard grainy. Discard the cauliflower remaining in the sieve.

Preheat the oven at 300 degrees F.

Divide the strained puree evenly among 6 half-cup ramekins. Arrange the ramekins in a large roasting pan on the center shelf in the oven. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the water bath until the center of the custard just barely jiggles when the pan is shaken, 35 to 40 minutes.

While the custard is baking, mince the garlic. Heat a small sauté pan and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the garlic and the bread crumbs. Cook over low heat until the crumbs turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Slice each of the reserved garnish cauliflower florets into 3 pieces from top to bottom to form a floret profile. In a separate pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the florets and cook until they are golden brown, them remove and drain them on paper towels. Set aside.

When the custards are cooked, remove them from the water bath and let them stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to set. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the 6 ramekins and place 2 floret slices on each ramekin. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,333 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 04:11 am
The name alone makes me feel ill!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:06 am
Yuck. Somebody else can have my share of all the cauliflower in the world.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:38 pm
I like cauliflower! But, then, I like brussels sprouts, too - love to peel them - guess it could be a meditation thing, eh? I always feel for my neighbours when I have 'em, though. The stink is terrible.

Ever had the thing that seems to be a cross between cauliflower and broccoli?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
Brocliflower...love them, brussels sprouts and cauliflower too. About the only veggie I don't like are beets and hot peppers.

That custard sounds pretty good but I'd cut back on the amount of eggs and cream and maybe add back in a little brie or swiss cheese. Have it be more like a quiche.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:05 pm
Sounds like a version of baked eggs to me, happening to have cauliflower as an ingredient. I like baked egg dishes, and also like cauliflower. Sounds good to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 07:09 pm
Hmm......If I leave out the crumbs, the dish would have very few carbs. Could work that into my diet! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:56 pm
I like brussels sprouts, broccoli, love steamed cabbage... just don't like cauli. If I do have to eat some, I'll have it raw, please...
0 Replies

grottomaster

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:05 pm
Sounds like a Quiche to me. And I'm a real man...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:25 am
Too damn complicated! Steam cauliflower florets and pour some cheese sauce over it, sprinkle on breadcrumbs and brown the toppings.

Not a bit fan of pureeing things, still got most of me teeth!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:28 am
dlowan wrote:
The stink is terrible.

Sure it's the cauliflower, unwashed bunny?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:30 am
What's interesting is that I think this is the most response I've seen to any of BBB's recipe posts. Love cauliflower custard or hate it, at least it promotes discussion.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:42 am
Lawdy it IS BBB, reckon this stuff is going to find its way over the trenches in the 'Min is Evil' thread?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:28 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
dlowan wrote:
The stink is terrible.

Sure it's the cauliflower, unwashed bunny?

Sure - unless it is .........STAGNANT PONDSCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:48 am
Quote:
The stink is terrible.

dlowan- Before or AFTER the cauliflower is eaten! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:01 am
Don't forget those eggs Phoenix....and the dairy. My guess would be after.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:41 am
Before!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:44 am
That recipe looks a lot like something mrs. hamburger makes, that I just love. I would never have thought of calling it cauliflower custard. I think we call it (if we call it anything at all) something like 'that cauliflower baked in that sauce, you know' - and we say it in Germglish. Very Happy

The best cauliflower recipe, in my eyes, is something I picked up on at Taunton. Cauliflower florets, sprayed with a tiny bit of olive oil, sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper - roasted in the oven. Served with fresh horseradish, grated into whipping cream (an amazing dip). The first time I made this, I ended up eating half the cauliflower in one sitting - and ignoring the rest of the meal. Cauliflower, yum. Roasted cauliflower, doubly delicious.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:46 am
My favourite cauliflower dish is Aloo Gobi.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:47 am
Also very wonderful.

There's an Indian take-away in the tunnels near work that serves Aloo Gobi a couple of times a week. Yum.
0 Replies