Christmas sucks BIG-Time!!

Brand X

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:58 pm
With any luck the weather will be decent on Xmas and I'll make a mandatory appearance, then go mountain biking. There's no better place to get away from any sort of humbug than on a mountain trail.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:03 pm
Christmas on the beach... I remember that my uncle told me that he'd cooked his Christmas breakfast egg on the pavement, it was so hot.

Then again, Ol' Liam did have hyperbole down to an art.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:32 pm
D& R -- Always a real tree... always. What's Christmas without a sacrifice? So glad you're finding some cones & things, too. So many people don't even notice them.

As to Fr. Ted & Co., I thought they were in Ireland, but don't recall the actors' names. I certainly remember the vile old priest who had, I thought, a certain sympathy to his character though I would never want to be in the same room with him.

I agree, The Bear is in for an awful time. <shaking head but snickering> Just the thought. Y'know, despite singing all my life, it's never occurred to me to sing karaoke. You mentioned three v. nice songs -- I'm claiming they are Christmas songs. Did you see that I posted Wonderful World earlier today on the new song dedication thread?

---

Brand X -- I agree -- the woods, the quiet, some snow - nearly divine.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:51 am
I always get a real tree too, much to the disdain of... most people around. (Probably because they will do anything to combat the possibility of cleaning.) I thought that you would get a real tree, Piffka, probably because you seem perceptive to nature and what's around you. I never fail to get cones and use them somehow; going on a walk on a frosty day through leafy boroughs is nice (although running through the dodgy area through which you have to go isn't the greatest.)

I agree with you on Fr. Jack; there is something more about him, isn't there... on what channel did that air? I probably wouldn't want to spend time with him either!

Well, when I was younger, my mother retired from being a teacher and just decided, 'Oh, I'm going into pubs.' So, I know exactly what Bear's going to face... before my mother took the karaoke over (something of a Olivier complex has my mother) some very evil person was doing it, and she'd speed up the tempo on the backing tracks when someone was singing badly... the worst was Christmas. Torture!

Piffka wrote:
You mentioned three v. nice songs -- I'm claiming they are Christmas songs.

Yes, they are- or at least should be. They're the essence of what Christmas should be: a time of joy, peace, thanksgiving, and appreciation of what's around you. My Grandmother, God keep her soul, always sang a few carols and the two Louis Armstrong songs instead of the commercial hits of the day... and no, I didn't; in which forum's that? Music? Smile

I've sang since I can remember, and was even in a band, but I've rarely sang Karaoke. Twice or thrice, perhaps, and that was only when coerced into doing so. I don't know; it just seems awkward. I prefer to play an instrument whilst singing; that way, people don't base my musical talent on my voice Laughing

I agree with Piffka, Brand X: it sounds wonderful; the Christmas air will do you good too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:29 am
i fear this detraction thread has been hijacked by revelers. whatever is the world coming to?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:46 am
Well, John Stewart and I are obviously kindred spirits. We're both Jewish, thank Yaweh.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
patiodog wrote:
i fear this detraction thread has been hijacked by revelers. whatever is the world coming to?

It's a coup to dehumbug us!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:04 am
Well, dang me, you two COULD revel, too! It wouldn't kill ya.

I'm liking you a lot, D et R -- you're a kindred spirit. Alas, we're alone in a sea of grumpy humbugs.

(Didn't quite understand that though about your mum "going into pubs." Does that mean she owns pubs or she frequents them? And now she runs the karaoke?) I sent that Christmas song of hers to some friends -- so far they're stunned into silence. Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:46 am
Piffka wrote:
Well, dang me, you two COULD revel, too! It wouldn't kill ya.

I'm liking you a lot, D et R -- you're a kindred spirit. Alas, we're alone in a sea of grumpy humbugs.

(Didn't quite understand that though about your mum "going into pubs." Does that mean she owns pubs or she frequents them? And now she runs the karaoke?) I sent that Christmas song of hers to some friends -- so far they're stunned into silence. Very Happy

It would be too easy for them to revel; there always has to be humbugs. They should try to enjoy things; it might change their minds.

I was thinking the same thing; I like you a lot too, Piffka. This site is wonderful in letting people meet like-minded people without a sea of spam... I'm glad that I 'met' and started talking to you. Have you started your shopping yet?

My mother decided to buy pubs years ago, and so we were living over pubs for seven years. She dislikes alcohol herself, so it was a very strange move. She's back into teaching now; she said that owning bars is much like teaching, 'only the children are older.'

Hahahah, you sent the song Laughing? That was a great idea; you must have stunned them, especially when you consider the songs usually banded about around now! I can picture their faces... Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:58 am
D&R wrote......

My mother decided to buy pubs years ago, and so we were living over pubs for seven years. She dislikes alcohol herself, so it was a very strange move. She's back into teaching now; she said that owning bars is much like teaching, 'only the children are older.'

AND can have all they want to drink....a truism I'm all too familiar with. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:13 am
I know... her cliché, not mine!

She chose really crummy places to manage; everyone there was part of a subculture. The only decent person was the scouser living in our cellar.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:52 pm
I've stated my intention to revel on the solstice. But not Christmas. That's simple enough. You damn Christmassers can go get your own room, and leave this to us heathens and Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists and Zoroastrians and... and all those other things, too!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:03 pm
Get our own room?

He's advocating segregation, Christmas Brigade...

Get him!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:08 pm
Oh no! We're gonna be thistle whipped!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:09 pm
When I am slain, lay me down with my buddy, Holly.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:11 pm
Brand X wrote:
Oh no! We're gonna be thistle whipped!

I can tell by your nonchalance that you've never been thistle-whipped before!

Starts thistle-whipping to the tune of 'Happy Xmas (War is over)'

Oh my God... you're not meant to get.. excited.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:17 pm
HAHAHAHAHA! Ouch!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:22 pm
Count me among the revelers!
(I just love to be among revelers! heeheehee Smile)

Thanks, guys, I've found my new motto for the season:
You can't have enough revelry.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:27 pm
Eva wrote:
Count me among the revelers!
(I just love to be among revelers! heeheehee Smile)

Thanks, guys, I've found my new motto for the season:
You can't have enough revelry.

Yay! Our army of revellers is growing, and will eventually defeat you by singing Christmas songs ad nauseum, until you're too tired, you'll just give in... everyone, let's hae a big rendition of 'Do they know it's Christmas time?'

It's Christmastime; there's no need to be afraid
At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:40 pm
People! It's December the Fourth! Come on!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:48:49