Atheist scientists

Just a little girl

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:17 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57658 wrote:
Do you like tall guys or short guys? Do you like facial hair or not? Specific mentality/attitude strike you as attractive? What's the difference when it comes to skin color. It's all personal preference. Love comes from what you do in a relationship and the effort you put forth to make it work.

Good, you got my point
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:29 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57628 wrote:
I'm wondering why the fundamentalist atheist scienctists in this forum attack conservative christians and not liberal christians. When they claim to hate all fundies except there own? enteinde'

No, this:

Quote:
Barracks new paster is catholic, no pep from them mmmm?

???
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:58 am
@Reagaknight,
Well the Hagee schpeel did put a dent in the Christian vote the Right usually has in the bag. Calling Catholics the "great whore" is not the best way to swing people at the ballot box. I guess this is an attempt to make it look like the left is pissed of at the Cats in order to "pull 'em back in line".

Of all the Christian sects, science is impeded least by the Catholics. The Pope acknowledges evolutionary theory, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, and to top it off they are cool with the earth around the sun idea (they gave 'em a statue!).
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 11:57 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;57684 wrote:
No, this:

???
The new pastor of Trinity Church is catholic. I haven't verified yet.
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 12:24 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57711 wrote:
Well the Hagee schpeel did put a dent in the Christian vote the Right usually has in the bag. Calling Catholics the "great whore" is not the best way to swing people at the ballot box. I guess this is an attempt to make it look like the left is pissed of at the Cats in order to "pull 'em back in line".

Of all the Christian sects, science is impeded least by the Catholics. The Pope acknowledges evolutionary theory, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, and to top it off they are cool with the earth around the sun idea (they gave 'em a statue!).
Quote:
Of all the Christian sects, science is impeded least by the Catholics.
Quote:
and to top it off they are cool with the earth around the sun idea
Cool with the idea? Were the ones that thought of it.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:23 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57730 wrote:
The new pastor of Trinity Church is catholic. I haven't verified yet.

I doubt it, if you're referring to Father Pfleger, he was only giving a sermon there.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 04:55 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57731 wrote:
If it werent for Christians, you'd still be looking at rocks and saying how pretty they are. So what religion was Copernicus?

This is what your fav wiki had to say about galileo:
Galileo Galilei (15 February 1564[2] – 8 January 1642)[1][3] was a Tuscan (Italian) physicist, mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher who played a major role in the scientific revolution. His achievements include improvements to the telescope and consequent astronomical observations, and support for Copernicanism. Galileo has been called the "father of modern observational astronomy",[4] the "father of modern physics",[5] the "father of science",[5] and “the Father of Modern Science.”[6]

Guess what religion he was?

Cool with the idea? Were the ones that thought of it.

Nice try with the 'scientists are creationists' argument. Their religion isn't the issue... never was. They can believe whatever they please and many do today. The problem comes in when people try to trump science with religion. That's where the line is drawn.

The skinny is this: believe what you want, but when you enter the scientific arena, check your gods at the door.

Oh, and if "you guys" were the ones that came up with heliocentric theory, why'd "you guys" excommunicate him for advocating it?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 09:33 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57750 wrote:

Oh, and if "you guys" were the ones that came up with heliocentric theory, why'd "you guys" excommunicate him for advocating it?

Precisely what i was thinking,

he must not have realized using Galileo was a bad example.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:23 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57750 wrote:
Nice try with the 'scientists are creationists' argument. Their religion isn't the issue... never was. They can believe whatever they please and many do today. The problem comes in when people try to trump science with religion. That's where the line is drawn.

The skinny is this: believe what you want, but when you enter the scientific arena, check your gods at the door.

Quote:
Their religion isn't the issue... never was.
My asss. Yur biased twards only cristians. "Of all the Christian sects, science is impeded least by the Catholics. " Why did you include all religions?
Quote:
the possibility of extraterrestrial life,
Is it possible that that extraterrestrial life could turn out to bo what we as humans would call a God? I think it funny you can believe in ET but not a God?
But back to the issue of religion. The science you use today was derived by Christians. They were devout and still provided you with the science you use today. That is where the line is drawn because they drew it, no you. You are far from that kind of objectivity and what's funny is you think that your the master of it all.
Quote:
That includes your god, Darwin.
Quote:
To error is human to forgive, divine. Does that hold for you?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:27 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57821 wrote:

Is it possible that that extraterrestrial life could turn out to bo what we as humans would call a God?

no because neither myself nor Sabz are primitive life.

Quote:
I think it funny you can believe in ET but not a God?

Mathematically speaking, ET has a better possibility of existing, than your god.

Quote:
But back to the issue of religion. The science you use today was derived by Christians.

[SIZE="7"]BULLSHIT![/SIZE]

The Greeks laid the foundation for what is now modern science, most scientific words are greco or latin-based.

Quote:
They were devout and still provided you with the science you use today. That is where the line is drawn because they drew it, no you.

nope still wrong, it was the Greeks. and it the east it was the Chinese.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 05:38 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57821 wrote:
My asss. Yur biased twards only cristians. "Of all the Christian sects, science is impeded least by the Catholics. " Why did you include all religions?

I'm biased *against* fundamentalists that want to stick their hands in places they don't belong.

Why didn't I include all religions? Well that didn't seem to be the topic at the beginning. Catholicism, however, was brought up quite early.

Quote:
Is it possible that that extraterrestrial life could turn out to bo what we as humans would call a God? I think it funny you can believe in ET but not a God?

Because, unlike a god, the prospect of life arising on a planet orbiting a star is a good one. We know it can happen.

If extraterrestrial life is to be referred to as "God", then this deity is neither omnipotent nor omnipresent. It is neither god nor immortal being. It also requires one to subscribe to the idea of directed panspermia.

Didn't Stein's film make fun of that one, despite it being "intelligent design"?

Quote:
But back to the issue of religion. The science you use today was derived by Christians.

I'll go with that. There were a good number of Muslims mixed up in there for a while during the 'Golden Age' before they became all crazy and alalalalalalalalallalalaBOOM on us. Remember that they, like the Greeks and other civilizations of the past, they had access to the Library... the central hub of science for the ancient world.

Anyway, moving along. Yeah, there were a good number of Christian believing people in the science arena. There still are.

Quote:
They were devout and still provided you with the science you use today.

So did the Muslims. So did the Greeks. Same with the Romans, Egyptians, Persians, so on and so forth.

Quote:
That is where the line is drawn because they drew it, no you.

They drew a line at observable, factual evidence. They understood this. Guess who derived the precursor to the scientific method we use today Smile Wasn't "you guys".

Quote:
You are far from that kind of objectivity and what's funny is you think that your the master of it all.

Fail.

You are now assuming that a person's religious background gives credit to said religion. They, as with everyone else following a religion, check their gods at the door when putting on their labcoat. Religion has no play in science. Never has, never will. People working in scientific fields are free to believe any religion they choose. However if you put religion into you scientific works, it will destroy your credibility. Why? It's not science. Plain and simple.

Quote:
That includes your god, Darwin.

Charlie's no god. He's a scientist that got it right. Very little of his original works are still applied in modern science... new evidence and procedures have surpassed his research. Charlie was a pioneer, that's it.

Quote:
To error is human to forgive, divine. Does that hold for you?

So, the Church screwed up?
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:00 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57835 wrote:

Mathematically speaking, ET has a better possibility of existing, than your god.

[SIZE="7"]BULLSHIT![/SIZE]

The Greeks laid the foundation for what is now modern science, most scientific words are greco or latin-based.

Quote:
Standing next to an ET i would say you are very primitive.
Quote:
Better possibility, how so? IMO it is very possible they are one in the same.
Quote:
BULLSHIT!

So Greeks were atheists or did they practice faith?

Quote:
No manner how you lay it, science was founded by people of faith.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:03 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57851 wrote:

Fail on the definition of ET. A blob of slime, as long as it is indigenous to a planet other than Earth, is an ET. Technological and evolutionary advancement are irrelevant.

Quote:

Evidence of such?

Quote:

What's the difference? Are you saying that their scientific background validates their religion? You know they believed that the sun was pulled across the sky by a guy in a chariot, right? Does their scientific background lend to this idea's validity?

Quote:

And this validates faith how?
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:18 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57851 wrote:

If i was even capable of standing next to ET, i would know he isn't god because god is supposed to be everywhere, and god is supposed to be all knowing and he could be all knowing if he wasn't everywhere, and if he wasn't all-knowing and omnipresent then he couldn't be all powerful......does that answer your question?

Quote:

because your god has many specific characteristics that make his existence improbable.

Quote:

They sure as hell weren't Christians, as you claim science was founded by. I never said science was founded by atheists, but when you claim Christianity is the foundation for science i have to call BS on that.

Quote:

But thats not what you said, is it?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:11 pm
@DiversityDriven,
Quote:
They sure as hell weren't Christians, as you claim science was founded by. I never said science was founded by atheists, but when you claim Christianity is the foundation for science i have to call BS on that.

Full disclosure: FF sacrifices several small children to Poisedon before swimming, getting on a boat, or washing his hands.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:31 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;57863 wrote:
Full disclosure: FF sacrifices several small children to Poisedon before swimming, getting on a boat, or washing his hands.

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! First rule of Atheist Club, damnit... first rule!!!
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 05:45 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;57863 wrote:
Full disclosure: FF sacrifices several small children to Poisedon before swimming...

some of them were yours. Very Happy
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:48 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57866 wrote:
some of them were yours. Very Happy

I doubt it. Very Happy
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:51 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;57868 wrote:
I doubt it. Very Happy