Anderson Coopers keeping them Honest

mlurp

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 11:25 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39828 wrote:
I lost power in a ice storm of 2004 for 19 days back in Ohio . It pretty much shut everything down for a week. generators got some things up and running the next week. But everybody migrated to the surrounding area and stayed in motels.

Country girls can survive. But I sure missed my c-span so much so that I tried to rent a motel room for a weekend after about ten days with no satellite. Nothing doing you could not get a room for 5 counties around. I did bunk in with a friend one night at her motel just to get a shower without heating water and bored her to death with my c-span addiction. I don't think she was sorry to see me go the next day. She was glad to have her TV back to herself.

But wvpeach, we are talking about over a third of the country being like that and for months if not longer. I wonder if the government would like to have you see C-Span or any news on the situation. It will be business as usual, bend over and say now! The government decides how much. Nothing nasty meant by this last line. A fact, I believe. Or ask any resident from N.O. how they feel about it.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39522 wrote:
The grid is inter connected like a bunch of tinker toys stacked up to make a structure. Pull a few of them out and the whole thing comes crashing down.

Yes interruption of the grid is a very real worry and would bring the economy to its knees if it went on for more than a couple of weeks.

All you'd have to do is smack the Hoover Dam or Niagara falls and the entire grid would cave in on itself with all the other stations trying to compensate for a power loss of that magnitude. Each of those plants produces a tad over two gigawatts of power.
wvpeach

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 11:21 am
@Sabz5150,
good point.

Sabz5150;40228 wrote:
All you'd have to do is smack the Hoover Dam or Niagara falls and the entire grid would cave in on itself with all the other stations trying to compensate for a power loss of that magnitude. Each of those plants produces a tad over two gigawatts of power.
mlurp

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:13 pm
@wvpeach,
The trouble is that is just one area we are weak. There are many other ways to attack America. Our water supply, our food supply (remember several terrorist were learning to fly small planes) our defense department has been under cyber attack several times lately. the fact several suitcase nasty nukes from Russia are missing. gee the list just goes on. And like posted before you me and the rest of the middle class will bear the results. Not one Machiavellian, will face this problem. Be sure of that.
0 Replies