Nature Rules

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:44 pm
Yesterday I took the bike out for the day, and had an almost spiritual experience. Drove out Farm Road 16N to Bandera where trees created a literal canopy at some points. At one point once I left Bandera towards R337 (kickass curvey ride for those of you with bikes, fyi) I stopped using my throttle as I coasted down what can only be described as awe-inspiring. About 500 feet below me was a field with scattered oak trees and lush grass, and the sun was hitting it in such a way that every tree was casting a beautifully formed shadow (this was the second best part of the trip). 337 was intense (sharp curves with sheer cliff to your right if you're driving West), but still gorgeous. I was on my way to Leakey, TX but decided to stop at Lost Maples State Park. If you like hiking or camping, and haven't been there, get off your ass. Rode back South after an hour or so of walking the trails and jumping rocks (harder to do in riding boots than in my trail shoes I found), went to Leakey, and then came back.

My point is, aside from bragging about my awesomely fun day of riding, that I realized (as I do sometimes) how completely gorgeous our planet is. I sat by a stream at Lost Maples and while I realize that it isn't alive, I couldn't help but be fascinated by the way it just kept finding it's way down and around the little obstacles that created its path. Trees and bushes grow to be enormous and imposing things out of a small seed no larger than a pebble, and produce food, shelter, and supplies for all manner of creature on earth. I don't know if there is a white-bearded, toga-sporting "God", but there is definitely something very special about the natural world. Think of the chance involved in the creation of such a diverse and thriving environment like earth. Our two nearest neighbors are either incredibly hot and gaseous, or cold, desolate, and dusty. SOMETHING makes Earth special, special enough to be able to create the natural wonders we busy humans overlook too often (I do anyway).

Ok, enough hippy stuff for tonight. Time to go eat a steak, throw a football, and shoot a can with a pistol.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 7
No top replies

briansol

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:18 am
@Freeman15,
hehe yeah. i like days like that too
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:41 pm
@Freeman15,
Darn it I hate when you get so human. looooool It is nice to see life at it's best isn't it? I am very glad you shared your experience. For me I get a bit spiritual about those moments. But that is me.

Freeman15;41599 wrote:
Yesterday I took the bike out for the day, and had an almost spiritual experience. Drove out Farm Road 16N to Bandera where trees created a literal canopy at some points. At one point once I left Bandera towards R337 (kickass curvey ride for those of you with bikes, fyi) I stopped using my throttle as I coasted down what can only be described as awe-inspiring. About 500 feet below me was a field with scattered oak trees and lush grass, and the sun was hitting it in such a way that every tree was casting a beautifully formed shadow (this was the second best part of the trip). 337 was intense (sharp curves with sheer cliff to your right if you're driving West), but still gorgeous. I was on my way to Leakey, TX but decided to stop at Lost Maples State Park. If you like hiking or camping, and haven't been there, get off your ass. Rode back South after an hour or so of walking the trails and jumping rocks (harder to do in riding boots than in my trail shoes I found), went to Leakey, and then came back.

My point is, aside from bragging about my awesomely fun day of riding, that I realized (as I do sometimes) how completely gorgeous our planet is. I sat by a stream at Lost Maples and while I realize that it isn't alive, I couldn't help but be fascinated by the way it just kept finding it's way down and around the little obstacles that created its path. Trees and bushes grow to be enormous and imposing things out of a small seed no larger than a pebble, and produce food, shelter, and supplies for all manner of creature on earth. I don't know if there is a white-bearded, toga-sporting "God", but there is definitely something very special about the natural world. Think of the chance involved in the creation of such a diverse and thriving environment like earth. Our two nearest neighbors are either incredibly hot and gaseous, or cold, desolate, and dusty. SOMETHING makes Earth special, special enough to be able to create the natural wonders we busy humans overlook too often (I do anyway).

Ok, enough hippy stuff for tonight. Time to go eat a steak, throw a football, and shoot a can with a pistol.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:54 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;42043 wrote:
Darn it I hate when you get so human. looooool It is nice to see life at it's best isn't it? I am very glad you shared your experience. For me I get a bit spiritual about those moments. But that is me.

You've got no idea man (mostly because I can't adequately describe it). I came down this hill, and BAM perfect scene, even the shadows were right. No piece of art or photograph will ever compare to that. I mean the breeze was going, I was coasting downhill (minimal engine noise), and man it was just awesome.

I love this planet.
mlurp

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
@Freeman15,
I am very happy you had this experience. I thought it was a bike not a moter bike. Am I wrong?
Also I wish you felt some thing more from this experience, something spiritual as I have on some same type experiences. Which made the whole experience so much complete for me.
I have been to many places here and abroad. I lived in the wilds of AZ. and the mountains (Rockies) and even in a cave above Boulder, CO. where I came to realize and get the Lord, back into my life.
Sorry I am not trying to take away from your experience. Again I am very happy for you and glad you shared this with us.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;42125 wrote:
I am very happy you had this experience. I thought it was a bike not a moter bike. Am I wrong?
Also I wish you felt some thing more from this experience, something spiritual as I have on some same type experiences. Which made the whole experience so much complete for me.
I have been to many places here and abroad. I lived in the wilds of AZ. and the mountains (Rockies) and even in a cave above Boulder, CO. where I came to realize and get the Lord, back into my life.
Sorry I am not trying to take away from your experience. Again I am very happy for you and glad you shared this with us.

When I say "bike" I mean motorcycle, my bad.

No, I get what you're saying, there is certainly something spiritual about the experience. I don't know that I'll be going to church anytime soon, but nature certainly does make you think.
mlurp

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:00 am
@Freeman15,
I wasn't implying anyon ego to church. Jesus, said use nature to the women at the well. If you want to read it that way.
yes nature is awsome and inspiring. We all need to have a moment or so like this.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:01 am
@Freeman15,
I wasn't implying anyone go to church. Jesus, said use nature to the women at the well. If you want to read it that way.
yes nature is awsome and inspiring. We all need to have a moment or so like this.
0 Replies