Does life have a purpose?

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:25 am
JLN

Whoops - wrong thread !

You need "Acrobat" to download pdf files. I'm pretty sure this is a freebie. Try "Acrobat" via Google.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:05 am
twyvel wrote:
Is that you?

Perhaps!

And then again, perhaps not!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:05 pm
Here's one for you Frank straight from the lips of Donald Rumsfeldt.

The Unknown

As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:10 pm
Good to see your mind is opened Frank, Smile
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:13 pm
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:48 pm
fresco wrote:
Here's one for you Frank straight from the lips of Donald Rumsfeldt.

The Unknown

As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

Actually, I did see this earlier today in another thread -- perhaps over in Abuzz.

George Orwell would have loved Rummy.

But to be honest -- I understand what he was trying to say. I just don't think he said it. But I don't know for sure!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 01:50 pm
twyvel wrote:
Good to see your mind is opened Frank, Smile

Always!

Well...maybe not always, but most of the time. :wink:
0 Replies

Yottos

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:50 am
Quote:
Living things are here to grow mature reproduce and die. To enlarge the species population. These living things can find things to do in between these parts, but essentially that is life.

That's simply a byproduct and the act of living and is no where near the "purpose" of living. Otherwise it would be a universal theme to end ones life after such acts became impossible. Therefore there must be a meaning outside the act.
0 Replies

shanshan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:42 am
It Depends
I guess the answer depends upon whether or not you belive in God or not. Predestination? Purpose beyond ourselves and thinking? Or success and feeling good. Or keeping the world. But/ and
perhaps it is only to explore and inquisite of this earth and not think anything more other than why, what, how, when? Questions too big will remain and the stress will build if you do not accept this. Answers are not as important as questions. Knowledge may feed Understanding and Understanding may feed the soul. Relativity and perception cannot be ignored. It just depends, yo. Why ask anything more other than what you believe in order to understand yourself and to become whole and beautiful?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:09 am
shanshan, Welcome to A2K. Smile
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
fresco wrote:
The concept of "purpose" is an aberration of "cognition" which functionally seeks to "predict" and "control". It is similar to the aberration of looking for "causes" and evoking "god" as a prime mover.

Whatever "life" is to us, a hypothetical observer outside the box would presumably construct an explanatory model involving "life" and "non life" or negative and positive entropy as complementary processes within the box. Such a transcendent model is as unlikely to make sense to us as say the concept of "the body" would to those lower level entities we call "blood cells", assuming we could "communicate" with them.

That's a brilliant insight fresco. At a younger age, I often wondered if blood cells themselves had an understanding of self. If macrophages were conciously aware of thier purpose, to kill off cancerous cells, to fight back foreign invaders at all costs.

In many ways, though I doubt they have a concious understanding of self, our body is in itself a society, each cell with highly specalized roles so that the society itself can survive and flourish even though they can't possibly understand the purpose for their roles, to an outside observer with an understanding of what the body is, what it does, and how it works, their role seems quite apparent. Perhaps we are the same way.

Perhaps the universe itself is a living organism and that earth is a mere electron or quark, an integral part of a complex enzyme perhaps. It has no understanding of why it exists, but it still makes up a tiny part of the galaxy which itself serves a purpose as enzymes do that it can't even begin to comprehend.

It may seem rather obscure to compare nonliving objects such as the earth of the galaxy to living organisms.

But if you read my explanationo on the bottom of the thread here. You'll see why I believe that there is no inherent difference between living organisms and nonliving objects.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:32 pm
Centroles, What you say is true; one cannot "live" without the other.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:59 am
Centrole

Yes - varous movements have tried to encompass the "worlds within worlds" view including "Ghia" and mystical cosmologies such Sufism, and Kabbala. We have touched elsewhere on the system of G.I. Gurdjieff which gives the "purpose of man" as an "energy transducer for higher celestial entities" ! (like cattle being farmed to turn grass into something useful !)....

...presumably any "system" is preferable to Shakespeare's observation that life is..."a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:50 am
following on the comments of fresco, and perception;

life is the accretion of chaos into 'form'.
purpose is irrelevant! Life defines itself.

It is the freedom of the human animal, to make relevant choices that creates purpose.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:17 am
My two cents:

Searching for a purpose to life (when it seems clear to me that nothing so universal exists) is akin to reducing existence to the level of sport.

What are the rules? How do I "score"? Who wins and how do I avoid losing?

Sports can be an apt metaphor for many aspects of life, but I would find the universe far less interesting if they described it in toto.

Keep your own score. Play by your own rules. Don't cheat.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 10:30 am
and i must add a new 'revelation' born of Centroles' comments;

the human being is the 'ultimate biological feedback system',
(and perhaps, nothing more?).
0 Replies