Does life have a purpose?

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:16 am
Thanks Perception.

Perhaps such "an observer" would see "life" and "non-life" as two views of the same "process" like how we visualize electric current as either "electrons" travelling one way or "holes" travelling the other way. I am struggling here for a concept of "relative functionality" akin to "relative motion". ...life is that which "orders" in a sea of "disorder" ...but "order" being subjective for the observer in the box....as the child might ask does the train move "forwards" or does the landscape move "backwards".....if you get my drift.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:25 am
When one is riding a train, who can tell?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:27 am
c.i.

Exactly !
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:29 am
Fresco

Yes---I get your drift but your leap into the "fourth" dimension leaves me in the dust-----it is however an interesting concept. Us mortals must be content to pay our taxes and attempt to raise children who do not become monsters.

Cheers
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:56 pm
For me, the purpose of life is to try and be a good and decent person and achieve success at living. Of course, no one fully gets to this point of perfection. We all backslide, do stupid and nutty things, make mistakes, screw up, fall prey to character faults and flaws, so the daily challenge to succeed at life and at living, striving to be better, is constant. A lifelong excercise.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:33 pm
fresco

Quote:
…..as the child might ask does the train move "forwards" or does the landscape move "backwards".....if you get my drift.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:47 pm
Yes it does but it also includes a porpose.Or a dolphin. Occasionally on this planet life will undergo a special rapid metamorphisis process in order for the species to survive and move on. When this occurs people will be getting some strange ideas and there might be interspecies sex. According to the Greeks the half man and half horse and goat are proiducts like this. The mermaid can about the same way.

I have found on the island of Crete The Jesus Mermaid.
Jesus was a merman and that is how he managed to walk on water and communcate with the fish.

While swimming with the fish in the meditteanean i fed them daily. I used to put dried bread in my back pocket and as it got more sopping wet the bread would grate through the mess on inside and slowly distribute itself. The fish came to now me and my bathing suit because I tested it with my friends.

The fish would not follow them but recognised me and would follow me. Now in the laurentians I taught some wild fish to feed from my hand andf eventually to get fed I had to touch them meaning rub my finger down the side of their bodies. they liked it and so did I.

Jesus with dolphin jeans might have been revived in a cool cave placed in water.Some eals can be either in or out. We don't know what his gene spread was but we can come to understand that JC might have been a product of this type of situation here on the earth.

april fools
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
The trouble with life is that by the time you can read a girl like a book, your library card has expired.
-- Milton Berle
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:43 pm
I love it Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:53 pm
Twyvel,

You may have missed the gist of my analogy here... relative "motion" being the model for relative "order-disorder" with the transcendent observer being "outside" or "neutral" (or in your words "unattached") with respect to "normal dual structure".
I am therefore agreeing with you in the sense we can then remove "the transcendent observer" as a temporary prop in the struggle for the analogy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:40 pm
truth
Nobody's home. Of course life has a purpose. "I" just purposively turned on my computer (after a week away) to see what you guys are up to. (How's that for thinking small?)

By the way, C.I., I was denied a library card. Embarrassed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 07:27 pm
JLN, I'll let you borrow mine any time. Smile
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:10 pm
This has been a topic before I think... It's a really popular topic.

Living things are here to grow mature reproduce and die. To enlarge the species population. These living things can find things to do in between these parts, but essentially that is life. It's quite sad. We strive to prove to ourselves we are more than that, that we are here for more important things, but really, it's to do a meaningless task in the scheme of things; life ends.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:54 pm
Is that you?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:33 pm
truth
No, Twyvel; it's you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:33 pm
truth
Twyvel, is that you?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:44 am
Where?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:52 am
JLN

Thanks for that reference which I havn't read yet.

Do you agree with this review ?
http://www.cms.math.ca/Publications/Reviews/1999/rev2.pdf
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
truth
Nowhere, everywhere, who knows?
Fresco, don't know how to download the review.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
"Does life have a purpose?"

If you need to ask, the answer is no.
0 Replies