Why deny man immortality

Dmizer

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:17 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
"The end of the world is more than just a Biblical story, it is a Biblical prophecy. And if it was just a story, those prophecies would of been exposed as false long ago. Yet what is happening is just the oppsite. The Prophecies are comeing to pass in detail, and to ignore them would be foolish."

I have read many of the prophecies in the bible of which you speak. The men who wrote them fully expected the end of which they spoke to occur during their own life time. It did not. The prophecies favorably compare with many different times and events in history. They had convinced generation after generation that the end was sure to come in their life time. Great way to keep the flock together I suppose, but obviously the end never came. These prophecies are eay to see time and time again because unfortunately man doesn't learn from his mistakes and thus history is doomed to repeat itself. The bible makes for a great moral compass, but beyond that it fails to meet the burden of proof.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
@markx15,
markx15;25685 wrote:
You can only fabricate real things, "my" God isnt real. He doesn't have a gender, it is simply easier to say and understand. I have listened and learned, truely learned. What did I learn? How to act. Time is always being wasted, it's just up to us how to waste it. I am not diferent in this sense from anyone else, I believe, that anyone who tries can listen as I do, I know others who do this as well. I commune with him in the purest place I know, the place I believe to be the "center" of my being, that is more real to me than the birds chirping outside my window. I believe the world has no diference in and of itself. Reality is literally what you percieve it to be, because it is based on your perception which is what you act upon. We as civilized beings, form societies, that requires at least similar realities for us to coexist. We can only coexist peacefully when people take possesion over their own perception. You could in a way say perception is my God.

You remind me of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, US Army, eastern Cambodia.:AR15firing:
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:15 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;25706 wrote:
"As far as incalculable distortions, this is only incalculable in your own mind, for they are now discovering second and first century fragments of manuscrips and they have only confirmed what we find in our Bibles today. The majority text which numbers in the thousands of copies from all over the world agree, which only confirms all the more that the Bible we have today can be depended on."

The period of greatest distortion occured during the time of the oral telling, before any of what you see now was written. Biblical scholars agree that there was a period of approximately 40 to 70 years between the time when Jesus died and the "Q" source was written. Even that "Q" source was lost.
The texts from the first and second century may match up quite closely to todays texts, but it matters not, the damage was done, the distortion is beyond repair. What actually happened and what was written are certainly to entirely different things.

If the oral tradition was pure fabrication, then the prophecies which are very detailed would be a mess. To believe that hundreds of prophecies some hidden and some obvious all line up 100% would be a real stretch. The Bible is a very detailed Book that cannot be thrown together with some kind of quick fix and have everything come out 100% accurate. Especially, when many of the prophecies would require thousands of years to be fulfilled. There is know way the writers of the Bible could accurately predict the events of the future unless they were God, and that is where the Bible differs from other texts.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:31 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Quote:
You remind me of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, US Army, eastern Cambodia.

Is that a good thing? Lol.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Col. Walter E. Kurtz was the renegade Colonel in Apocolypse Now. He was insane. Some how I don't call that a compliment.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:52 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
"The Bible is a very detailed Book that cannot be thrown together with some kind of quick fix and have everything come out 100% accurate."

The bible as you know it was woven into the form you recognize by Constantine in the 4th century. Up until that time a multitude of Christianities flourished: Gnosticism, Montanism, the radical Paulism of Marcion, and the communities that formed around men such as Irenaeus in Lyons or Tertullian in North Africa.(there is a long list) Each viewed the others as heretical and each authenticated its own scriptures in various forms and views by an appeal to the various criteria of legitimacy: Posession of the true interpretation of the Septuagint; or of the true christian scriptures all based on "authentic" oral traditions. It is important that you understand that the church upon whose canon subsequent christianity eventually depended upon was the survivors of these early power struggles. The survivors emerged as the indisputable victors only in the fourth century, when Constantine became the patron of a particular sect and suppressed it's rivals. Constantine proceeded to create the bible we know today, selecting only the gospels and books that authenticated his sects particular view of Christianity. It took many years for the bible to be completed in the form you now know. It was never just thrown together. But it was still based on oral traditions and not only that, but it did not take form until the fourth century.

What else would you like to know about your bible's history?
Volunteer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;26145 wrote:
"The Bible is a very detailed Book that cannot be thrown together with some kind of quick fix and have everything come out 100% accurate."

The bible as you know it was woven into the form you recognize by Constantine in the 4th century. Up until that time a multitude of Christianities flourished: Gnosticism, Montanism, the radical Paulism of Marcion, and the communities that formed around men such as Irenaeus in Lyons or Tertullian in North Africa.(there is a long list) Each viewed the others as heretical and each authenticated its own scriptures in various forms and views by an appeal to the various criteria of legitimacy: Posession of the true interpretation of the Septuagint; or of the true christian scriptures all based on "authentic" oral traditions. It is important that you understand that the church upon whose canon subsequent christianity eventually depended upon was the survivors of these early power struggles. The survivors emerged as the indisputable victors only in the fourth century, when Constantine became the patron of a particular sect and suppressed it's rivals. Constantine proceeded to create the bible we know today, selecting only the gospels and books that authenticated his sects particular view of Christianity. It took many years for the bible to be completed in the form you now know. It was never just thrown together. But it was still based on oral traditions and not only that, but it did not take form until the fourth century.

What is your psuedonym when writing fiction? Dmizer? Please name some of your other works so we can look for them on a bookshelf in a store.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:37 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;26145 wrote:

Wrong from the start. The list of books of the Bible compiled at the Council of Rome under Pope Damasus I was made during the reign of Emperor Theodosius I. The council was made up of hundreds of Christian leaders from throughout all Christian lands and used the most commonly accepted and valid books in the list. This makes it obvious that there was a widespread consensus among the church. Also, such religions as you are talking about were heresies, deviating from the Church of Rome, which Peter founded in going to Rome and was coninued by his successors. The Church is what brought together early Christians to form a consensus on Christian theology and teaching.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:34 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Git'r Done, Dang It!!!!!!
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:54 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Reagaknight,
I understand you are a fervent christian, so I will only offer this simple correction. The event you cite:

"The list of books of the Bible compiled at the Council of Rome under Pope Damasus I was made during the reign of Emperor Theodosius I."

This occured in the year 382. Long after Constantine was dead. The Council if Naceea (sp?) took place in 325, 57 years earlier. Constantine converted to an orthodox form of Christianity in 312 after he claimed to see a sign from God in the sunlight. Before that Constantine was a Pagan worshiper.

"The council was made up of hundreds of Christian leaders from throughout all Christian lands and used the most commonly accepted and valid books in the list."

The books on the list of which you speak were created at and after the Council of Niacea (sp?). It was one of Constantines greatest desires, to create a standard set of scriptures from which Christianity could go from, in order to bring about more unity.

"This makes it obvious that there was a widespread consensus among the church. Also, such religions as you are talking about were heresies, deviating from the Church of Rome, which Peter founded in going to Rome and was coninued by his successors. The Church is what brought together early Christians to form a consensus on Christian theology and teaching."

Before Constantine there was no wide spread consensus, the Christian sects were just struggling to survive the wide spread persecutions that were common place in that time. Before Constantine became it's patron there wasn't a central church to bring about the consensus you speak of.

sorry Pino, He didn't Git'r Done, he didn't have his facts straight.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:22 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Quote:
This occured in the year 382. Long after Constantine was dead. The Council if Naceea (sp?) took place in 325, 57 years earlier. Constantine converted to an orthodox form of Christianity in 312 after he claimed to see a sign from God in the sunlight. Before that Constantine was a Pagan worshiper.

Yes, my basic point was that you were wrong. Nicaea had nothing to do with the bible. Also, you are being quite hypocritical in saying my facts were wrong. Constantine did not declare himself a Christian until he was over 40, while he was 32 in 312.

Quote:
The books on the list of which you speak were created at and after the Council of Niacea (sp?). It was one of Constantines greatest desires, to create a standard set of scriptures from which Christianity could go from, in order to bring about more unity.

Could you please cite your (preferably unbiased) source on this? Again, the books listed in the Bible after the Council of Rome were all accepted widely by Christians, and many of those rejected were found to be of invalid authorship, etc. and were accepted only by heretical sects. The Council of Nicaea consisted of bishops from around the Christian world. There was obviously some sort of consensus as they were able to agree on a coherent system of belief. Constantine did not decide upon doctrine, it was left up to the bishops.

Quote:
Before Constantine there was no wide spread consensus, the Christian sects were just struggling to survive the wide spread persecutions that were common place in that time. Before Constantine became it's patron there wasn't a central church to bring about the consensus you speak of.

And after Constantine 'became its patron', it suddenly grew much larger and encompassed most of the Christian world. He 'became the patron' of the church started by Peter with the help of the Apostles. Most historians disagree with you. The main belief is that there was an orthodoxy and orthopraxy, a mainstream Christianity.

Quote:
sorry Pino, He didn't Git'r Done, he didn't have his facts straight

This is laughable coming from someone who does not take the time to check the spelling of 'Nicaea' before criticizing the councils held there.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
@Greatest I am cv,
The early history of Christianity was an extremely turbulant time. Immediately after Jesus death up until Constantine the Great's council of Nicea (sp?) in 325, there was no Holy Roman church. The Romans fed Christians to the lions, and so on and so forth. The Holy Roman Empire did not exist until Theodosius I around 382. It is hard for people to accept that for that long of a period Christianity was divided into many different sects. Each Sect with their own influences being interwoven into the fabric of the their oral traditions and writings. Paganism and Jewish traditions wee absorbed into these sects and influenced their development of Christianity. With so much flux and so long of a time between when Christ died and when the Bible was composed, it is in conceivable that all these influences did not radically alter the telling of what actually occured during Jesus life. The Bible is not a Historically accurate document, it is a theological proclamation.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
@Greatest I am cv,
I suppose it is hard for the majority of historians to accept this as well. Most of them agree that there was a mainstream Christianity and a set of heretical sects.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:04 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Yes, my basic point was that you were wrong. Nicaea had nothing to do with the bible. Also, you are being quite hypocritical in saying my facts were wrong. Constantine did not declare himself a Christian until he was over 40, while he was 32 in 312.

There were many different versions of the Bible leading up to Nicaea. The first of witch was composed by a group of bishops around 100 AD. Nicaea is widely rcognized as the first council to unify the concepts of christianity into one church. The council also declared which sects of Christianity were heretical. Before Nicaea, they were all accusing each other of being Heretics. This lead directly, in the years following, to the bible that became the basis for what we see today.
Constantine did not become baptized until right before his death in 337 AD. But if you look up the Battle of Milvan Bridge in 312AD, you will see for yourself that it is at this point in time that Constantine embraced Christianity.

"This is laughable coming from someone who does not take the time to check the spelling of 'Nicaea' before criticizing the councils held there."

I am a terrible speller and I was quoting from memory so there it is. If you wish to begin insulting me for it, then by all means do so, it doesn't help your argument any, nor does it make that fact that you are incorrect less obvious.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:22 am
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;26312 wrote:
The early history of Christianity was an extremely turbulant time. Immediately after Jesus death up until Constantine the Great's council of Nicea (sp?) in 325, there was no Holy Roman church. The Romans fed Christians to the lions, and so on and so forth. The Holy Roman Empire did not exist until Theodosius I around 382. It is hard for people to accept that for that long of a period Christianity was divided into many different sects. Each Sect with their own influences being interwoven into the fabric of the their oral traditions and writings. Paganism and Jewish traditions wee absorbed into these sects and influenced their development of Christianity. With so much flux and so long of a time between when Christ died and when the Bible was composed, it is in conceivable that all these influences did not radically alter the telling of what actually occured during Jesus life. The Bible is not a Historically accurate document, it is a theological proclamation.

You're right in a general way, but slightly 'off-target' wrong with regard to emphasis. The situation wasn't nearly as bizarre and out-of-control as you imply. If it had been, Christianity would not have survived. It did survive, because it managed to consolidate and defend itself, roughly between AD 33 (death of Christ) and AD 312 (triumph of Constantine). During this time, it withstood Roman persecution, and attempted Gnostic theological appropriation, and transitioned from an oral to a written tradition. There was sufficient unity of thought and action to facilitate these monumentally important deeds. :thumbup:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:30 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Quote:
There were many different versions of the Bible leading up to Nicaea. The first of witch was composed by a group of bishops around 100 AD. Nicaea is widely rcognized as the first council to unify the concepts of christianity into one church. The council also declared which sects of Christianity were heretical. Before Nicaea, they were all accusing each other of being Heretics. This lead directly, in the years following, to the bible that became the basis for what we see today.

And that's a bad thing? It's not okay to decide what you believe? As I said, though, most historians agree that there was a mainstream Christianity even before Nicaea.

Quote:
Constantine did not become baptized until right before his death in 337 AD. But if you look up the Battle of Milvan Bridge in 312AD, you will see for yourself that it is at this point in time that Constantine embraced Christianity.

I am aware of Constantine's vision and subsequent victory in the battle. I am speaking of his formal announcement of belief in Christianity.

Quote:
I am a terrible speller and I was quoting from memory so there it is. If you wish to begin insulting me for it, then by all means do so, it doesn't help your argument any, nor does it make that fact that you are incorrect less obvious.

I am saying that you are criticizing me (not necessarily justly) for not having my facts straight while you are criticizing the Council of Nicaea even though you are unaware of the correct spelling of the place it was held at.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:57 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
We're walking on a path and see many different stones as we go. When we arrive at our destination, we begin to discuss what we observed. I say what I saw, describing the various rocks and stones, and you say what you saw. Our sights and perceptions differ considerably. That doesn't change the nature of the rocks we saw. The only difference is in my perception and yours. The difference is in the meaning we each take from our observation. It does no good to argue and say I didn't see this or you didn't see that. It does no good to say this rock was black and this rock was gray. Unless you both go back and look, each will retain their perception. Even then, the meaning taken from what was seen will differ between the two people.

You believe what you wish to believe. I believe what I wish to believe. How much more pointless is it to argue about what people saw or did not see, or what people wrote or did not write, or what people believed or did not believe a thousand or two thousand years ago?
0 Replies