Nuclear power is the answer to energy crisis, Penn and Teller

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:04 pm
Caught this show last night on Showtime - according to Penn and Teller, if the USA had 420 nuclear power plants (up from 190) we would have the capacity to power every home in the country and end foreign dependence on oil.

Penn & Teller: Bullshit! on Showtime
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 18
No top replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:27 pm
@socalgolfguy,
We would glow in the dark too.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:56 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Entertaining, but politically insightful? NOT
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:46 am
@socalgolfguy,
The show was great. Nuclear power is clean, safe and cheap. If Penn and Teller say it, it must be true! In all seriousness, it's worth a look. They claim that so many upgrades in the last 30 years have made it the most logical alternative to oil, foreign or domestic, period. Come on you guys have an open mind. At least read up a little before rejecting the idea totally.
0 Replies

Celerity

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:27 pm
@socalgolfguy,
I saw the whole series. And Penn Gillette, just like other intelligent and remarkable men in the past, have missed the point completely. They are foaming at the mouth against SOMEONE and not for something.

I loved that show, but I also loved Michael Moore's "TV Nation" when it was on the air. He got Slobodan Milosevik under the hood of his Yugo. Classic.

Lots of what they are saying is VERY true, and very correct. It's the way that he says it that gets me. Watch the other episodes on YouTube.

I do believe that Hybrid cars are ****. And Lesbians can date and scissor each other all they want. But I'm not going to support any legislature that makes the world favorable to them anymore than I will support legislature that makes life easier for David Duke.

And that is where Penn falls short. If you don't agree with something that makes sense, than you are obviously an asshole. That's not always the case. It's a black and white world for this sort of debate, and he definately makes it a black and white issue in his mannerisms.
rugonnacry

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:07 pm
@socalgolfguy,
I dont even know who Penn & Teller is, I assume they have a T/V show, thus my comment was not based on a person it was base on.... Glowing in the dark.
briansol

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:36 pm
@socalgolfguy,
the problem with nuclear power is disposing of the cores 30 years from now when they are spent.

what do we do with them?
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:37 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;18504 wrote:
I dont even know who Penn & Teller is, I assume they have a T/V show, thus my comment was not based on a person it was base on.... Glowing in the dark.

penn and teller are a pair of magicians/comedians

Penn & Teller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 02:02 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Brian - there is a waste facility in Nevada that cost us, the taxpayers $58 billion to construct that will go online, I believe, next year. The rods will be buried 1,000 feet underground in an area that gets virtually no rain, so, the likelyhood of leaks coupled with the lack of rainwater makes accidents nearly impossible. Notice that I said NEARLY impossible - nothing is fail safe. In the end, the waste will be properly managed and will take far less resources that conventional disposal facilities for present fuels, according to the program.
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:12 am
@briansol,
briansol;18532 wrote:
penn and teller are a pair of magicians/comedians

Penn & Teller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Fat Guy with the pony tail and the skinny balding guy that doesnt talk?

I know them LOL
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:14 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;18606 wrote:
Brian - there is a waste facility in Nevada that cost us, the taxpayers $58 billion to construct that will go online, I believe, next year. The rods will be buried 1,000 feet underground in an area that gets virtually no rain, so, the likelyhood of leaks coupled with the lack of rainwater makes accidents nearly impossible. Notice that I said NEARLY impossible - nothing is fail safe. In the end, the waste will be properly managed and will take far less resources that conventional disposal facilities for present fuels, according to the program.

Yeah look how well they have maintained TROJAN in Vancouver Washington (Or close to vancouver anyways) Cam You have driven by there in the last couple of years I am sure how does that Radioactive hourglass look?
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:19 am
@socalgolfguy,
I failed to keep in mind that they are producing the show and will advocate whatever position best suits what they think their audience will cheer. I gotta say, it sounded progressive and plausible to me but, hey, what the hell do I know about nukes..?
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:34 am
@socalgolfguy,
Clean nuclear power is the way to go right now. Scientists also made a bacteria that eats radiation so they should implement that somehow.
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:18 pm
@I Understand,
I Understand;18765 wrote:
Clean nuclear power is the way to go right now. Scientists also made a bacteria that eats radiation so they should implement that somehow.

They actually use the radiation to break down water and turn that into energy, the Radiation is still there.

These bacteria use radiated water as food
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 01:06 pm
@socalgolfguy,
What about clean coal electrical production?

We have how much coal sitting in the ground? Humm?

This is one industry that can't be exported.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/coal/page/coal_production_review.pdf
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Estimated US Coal Reserves

EIA - Coal Data, Reports, Analysis, Surveys
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 02:18 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Link To CLEAN COAL please
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
@Celerity,
Celerity;18443 wrote:
I saw the whole series. And Penn Gillette, just like other intelligent and remarkable men in the past, have missed the point completely. They are foaming at the mouth against SOMEONE and not for something.

I loved that show, but I also loved Michael Moore's "TV Nation" when it was on the air. He got Slobodan Milosevik under the hood of his Yugo. Classic.

Lots of what they are saying is VERY true, and very correct. It's the way that he says it that gets me. Watch the other episodes on YouTube.

I do believe that Hybrid cars are ****. And Lesbians can date and scissor each other all they want. But I'm not going to support any legislature that makes the world favorable to them anymore than I will support legislature that makes life easier for David Duke.

And that is where Penn falls short. If you don't agree with something that makes sense, than you are obviously an asshole. That's not always the case. It's a black and white world for this sort of debate, and he definately makes it a black and white issue in his mannerisms.

Well said.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 05:01 pm
@socalgolfguy,
From the link:
Quote:
Firmicutes do not use radiation directly as a source of energy, however.
0 Replies