Your Trials and Sorrows Develop You

Skye cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:49 am
YOUR TRIALS AND SORROWS DEVELOP YOU

Whatever good or bad fortune comes your way,
give it meaning and transform it into something of value.
Trouble is the common denominator of living.
It's the great equalizer of life.

Personal growth is the process of responding positively to change.
All growth means change and change always involves risks,
stepping from the known to the unknown.
All of your growth depends on your activity.
It only comes through continuous effort and struggle.
You'll have no development without effort.

Life chips and pounds you to bring out your possibilities.
She will strip you of wealth, humble your pride,
humiliate your ambition, let you down from the ladder of fame,
and discipline you in a thousand different ways,
if she can develop a little character.
Everything gives way to that.

Wealth is nothing, position is nothing, fame is nothing.
Who you become inside is everything.

What happens to you is not as important
as how you react to what happens.
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,767 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:43 am
@Skye cv,
What's up with all the poetry lately? Your work?
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:01 pm
@Skye cv,
Reagaknight

Have I been posting poetry lately? I think this is the first I've put up here...I wonder if you are addressing me or perhaps someone else.

I saw this on another forum and thought it was a pleasant piece to think about in case anyone was having a not so terrific day.

No harm meant.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:02 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye - you sweet little thing. You make me want to sit around the campfire singing "Kum Baya" or however you spell it....
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:05 pm
@Skye cv,
No, everyone else has been putting up poetry... well, mostly Pinochet, but he does it all the time. I didn't mean anything offensive, sorry if it sounded like it. Smile

It is nice and contemplative and makes great use of metaphor, etc. Could flow a bit better, but what do I know?
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:08 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22321 wrote:
Skye - you sweet little thing. You make me want to sit around the campfire singing "Kum Baya" or however you spell it....

smoking a joint,listening to dylan :cool:
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:11 pm
@Skye cv,
I once interviewed for a job where the interviewer asked if I ever smoked pot. I said "sure - I grew up in the '70. I probably smoked 10 tons of it." Needless to say, I did not get a call back. Maybe I should have run for office....
missdixy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:40 pm
@Skye cv,
That's very pretty and inspiring.
missdixy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22328 wrote:
I once interviewed for a job where the interviewer asked if I ever smoked pot. I said "sure - I grew up in the '70. I probably smoked 10 tons of it." Needless to say, I did not get a call back. Maybe I should have run for office....

Wow. What a horrible thing to ask a person. :no: I would have refused to answer, or maybe just lied...la...
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:02 pm
@missdixy,
missdixy;22344 wrote:
That's very pretty and inspiring.

At first, I thought you were commenting on my smoking pot, then I realized you were referring to Skye' nice post....
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
@Skye cv,
SoCal/MissDixy

The weed was probably 'inspiring" too. Be glad SoCal you didn't get stuck under the thumb of a dictator.:p

Miss D thanks I liked it too.

People take on much more weight than is necessary in our world - we are in complete control of how we move through our lives and yet few of us know it.
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:06 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye;22391 wrote:
SoCal/MissDixy

The weed was probably 'inspiring" too. Be glad SoCal you didn't get stuck under the thumb of a dictator.:p

Miss D thanks I liked it too.

People take on much more weight than is necessary in our world - we are in complete control of how we move through our lives and yet few of us know it.

I was stuck under the thumb of a dictator. My father was a vice cop in Oakland. He killed someone in a bar fight that tried to kill me when I was 3 years old. Our father was a terrible tyrant. We all lived in terror, including our mother. He was a good cop, just a lousy father and husband. He told us that the Dirty Harry character was developed after him, except that he felt Harry wasn't tough enough.
Skye cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:30 pm
@Skye cv,
Oh No SoCal

That's a rough beginning ....

This can never be explained to a young child nor should it ever be....

Those in law enforcement or military have to adapt to a mindset which keeps them from deep emotional demonstrative love.

They have to fear it because to succumb would mean weakness - staring into the eyes of someone they may have to maim or worse - it is often the way some men keep themselves sane and safe..... by being cruel in a safe place....their homes.

Not right - but still men who have tough jobs rarely seek help in getting 'soft'....they can't afford to.

Still - scars run deep for little people. It would seem by your persona here - you have survived well.
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:03 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22396 wrote:
I was stuck under the thumb of a dictator. My father was a vice cop in Oakland. He killed someone in a bar fight that tried to kill me when I was 3 years old. Our father was a terrible tyrant. We all lived in terror, including our mother. He was a good cop, just a lousy father and husband. He told us that the Dirty Harry character was developed after him, except that he felt Harry wasn't tough enough.

Why did that someone try to kill you when you were only three years old?
briansol

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:10 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye;22284 wrote:

What happens to you is not as important
as how you react to what happens.

QFT :thumbup:
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:16 am
@missdixy,
missdixy;22439 wrote:
Why did that someone try to kill you when you were only three years old?

My father arrested him for drug possession. He had a couple of joints on him. But back in the '50's that was a serious crime. When he was released, he drove his car onto our front lawn and tried to strike me but hit an oak tree first, only grazing me. Later, when he got out of prison for attempted murder (of me) he came back to the neighborhood to shoot my father. My dad got the drop on him in a bar and shot him in the head. Because he was a policeman and the convict had just gotten out of prison and was in our neighborhood with a gun, dad was exonerated. I mentioned that he always told us he was the role model for the Dirty Harry character, although we never got real proof it was true.
missdixy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:41 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22516 wrote:
My father arrested him for drug possession. He had a couple of joints on him. But back in the '50's that was a serious crime. When he was released, he drove his car onto our front lawn and tried to strike me but hit an oak tree first, only grazing me. Later, when he got out of prison for attempted murder (of me) he came back to the neighborhood to shoot my father. My dad got the drop on him in a bar and shot him in the head. Because he was a policeman and the convict had just gotten out of prison and was in our neighborhood with a gun, dad was exonerated. I mentioned that he always told us he was the role model for the Dirty Harry character, although we never got real proof it was true.

Eep...that's crazy.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye great post.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:49 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22516 wrote:
Nice, glad your here today socal, props to your dad.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:51 pm
@markx15,
markx15;22587 wrote:
Skye great post.
I agree, maybe we should start a poetry thread? I've got a few mushie ones and some down right extreme works i wouldn't mind posting, anybody else?