Sex offender caught with 15 year old in bed

Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:07 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27147 wrote:
What you're missing here is that sexual morality is a living breathing entity with a life of it's own. What was forbidden only one generation ago is now fair game. The fact that in ancient Greece they diddled small boys has no relevance today.

Okay, Jesus was a living, breathing entity, too, before they killed him. Are we to say he has no relevance today?

Not trolling, I'm just putting the shoe on another foot. If we apply that logic to other things, we find it doesn't really hold up. It was socially acceptable then, and it's not now. True. But does that mean it's wrong? I think it's just a matter of opinion. It's another issue about freedom. If a fifteen year old wants someone to spoink her, whose business is that? Or more importantly, why is it okay for little johnny, who is also fifteen, to do it, but not still-little andy, who just turned 18? Or better yet, what if she got married to him? It's absolutely possible. Check out the age at which you can get married in various states, either with or without parental consent, depending on your age.

I guess it's okay to have sex with someone fifteen, as long as you're married, right? Sex with minors is only okay if it's not pre-marital.

It's moral duplicity. Either she should be able to do it, or she shouldn't. All these restrictions you're putting on a girl who is sexually mature is just a way to take freedom away from people and force them to abide by your views of morality. You can't argue it's anything more than culture -- and that's where our example of the Greeks comes in. To prove that point.
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:10 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27148 wrote:
No contradiction here. Trying a teen that shoots up a school has absolutely nothing with a young girl on the internet.

No, it's very contradictory. It's saying that you're adult enough to be punished like one, but you can't have any of the frills. You get the responsibilities, but not the rights and privileges.

That's what caused the American Revolution, you know. People having to responsibility(taxation), but none of the benefits thereof(representation). The very values our country was founded on.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:20 pm
@Silverchild79,
Come on Art - you cannot compare diddling Greeks with Jesus, can you..?

I agree that it was socially acceptable then and not now. That does not make it right or wrong. As a personal choice, it would not, could not do it. The fact that under age marriage in the deep south is legal is none of my concern, except as an odd curiosity. Is it ok to have sex at 15..? In my opinion, no, but if they must, it should be with another 15 year old adolescent and not a legally mature adult. I fumbled like crazy when my girlfriend and I, both 16 at the time, finally did the deed. If she had been older or more experienced, I might have felt embarrassed and maybe not have done it a second time.

Age specific here is the key.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:25 pm
@oleo,
oleo;27097 wrote:
well, the life expectancy 100 years ago was around 30 - 35 a lot of places

Actually, it was 47. And the US was very puritanical at that time. I dare to say that if we lived then we would likely follow suit, since that would be all that we knew.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:54 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27148 wrote:
No contradiction here. Trying a teen that shoots up a school has absolutely nothing with a young girl on the internet.

Actually Cal the context he put it is quite fundemental with each other beaking it down to a crime. If a teenage girl can be tried as an adult for murder, then that means that somewhere the legal system believes that she has the adult capacity in her mind to know that what she did was an illegal act, and fully understands the consequences.

Truly the same can be said for the 16 year olds who go looking THEMSELVES for older men.

They know what they are doing.
rugonnacry

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
@Silverchild79,
ART welcome to the board. I hope you stick around awhile
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:58 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;27234 wrote:
Actually Cal the context he put it is quite fundemental with each other beaking it down to a crime. If a teenage girl can be tried as an adult for murder, then that means that somewhere the legal system believes that she has the adult capacity in her mind to know that what she did was an illegal act, and fully understands the consequences.

Truly the same can be said for the 16 year olds who go looking THEMSELVES for older men.

They know what they are doing.

I agree that they can sometimes be far from innocent but on balance, the old fart chasing them is far more guilty.
rugonnacry

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:02 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27237 wrote:
I agree that they can sometimes be far from innocent but on balance, the old fart chasing them is far more guilty.

No Argument there.
0 Replies