POTW: Ethical Treatment Vs Research for those on Death Row

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:06 am
FOXNews.com - Attorney: Convicted Killer Should Be Spared for Psychological Study - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Basically this guy is scheduled to die for some pretty serious stuff. But some scinentific researchers want to keep him alive so they can study him and learn why he's so gone in the head.

So what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 873 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Red cv

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:57 pm
@Silverchild79,
Zap him, or let him die with out meds. Zap him, why should he live an extra week, month or so because he's dying already.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
@Silverchild79,
We are all dieing
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:03 pm
@Silverchild79,
**** that, more guberment money being used on science when it could be used for missle defense stations in Poland? No way.

In all seriousness though, no, execute them when they should be. That is just about the only right that I think DR criminals should have, a speedy death.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:26 am
@Silverchild79,
Get rid of the scum.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:38 am
@Silverchild79,
I say if we can learn from them then do, but don't giver them any extra accomodations. At the same time they shouldn't be tortured.

Then, Hang em. If I had my way Hanging would be the only option for the death penalty. Not because I'm some redneck, just because it's cheap! And if you're a murderer I doubt your victim got as painless a death as a correctly executed hanging.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 10:41 am
@Silverchild79,
Harvest their organs..?
Then off to the gallows.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
@Silverchild79,
I'm actually kind of against the death penalty in the first place. Surprise, huh?
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:15 pm
@Silverchild79,
There's a lot to be said for that opinion. You take a person like Tim McVeigh for example. Rather that juice him in the prime of life, consider that he could have suffered all the pains of middle age and the torture of old age in prison. I think he got off easy. I think he should have gone through the process of losing his faculties, his eyesight, his hearing, his prostate, his liver, pancreas, kidneys, heart and eventually his life suffering in a 6X10 cell 23 hours a day. Yes, he got off easy.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
@Silverchild79,
Well, I suppose so, but you can't be sure, doesn't always happen. It's not that I don't think thy deserve to die 10 painful deaths or so, I just think it's not making anything better by having the government kill them. I am pro-life after all, I try to be completely pro-life (and please don't make a ridiculous comment about the war, anyone.)
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
Only 8 votes and 10 posts - I thought it was a good topic.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
i'm not voting because my option isn't there.

I would vote "let them chose".

In the same way that you and I have the right to be organ donors, they should have the right to chose if they want to be studied for scientific research.
If the research prolongs their execution date, so be it.

But, there's flaws in this method as well... some scientist somewhere MIGHT know someone on the row and might do all he can to study him forever, to avoid the death penalty.
socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:14 am
@Silverchild79,
Quote:
But, there's flaws in this method as well... some scientist somewhere MIGHT know someone on the row and might do all he can to study him forever, to avoid the death penalty.

Well, I suppose if it supports the greater good, so be it.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:05 pm
@briansol,
briansol;25078 wrote:
i'm not voting because my option isn't there.

I would vote "let them chose".

In the same way that you and I have the right to be organ donors, they should have the right to chose if they want to be studied for scientific research.
If the research prolongs their execution date, so be it.

They should never have the right to choose. if you are in jail or prison you lose your rights.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:33 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;25361 wrote:
They should never have the right to choose. if you are in jail or prison you lose your rights.

That's pretty much my view. I hate the fact that tax dollars pay for weight rooms, education, cable TV, for the scum of our society. If you kill, rape, rob, molest, you give up your rights, like you took the rights of the persons you violated. **** all this "human rights" BS for criminals, hell, I know a guy that robbed a convience store one night, just so he could go to jail and have a roof over his head and food. ******* idiot, but if jail is better than life free, than something is seriously wrong.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:50 am
@Silverchild79,
Agreed, they have it too good.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:09 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;25421 wrote:
That's pretty much my view. I hate the fact that tax dollars pay for weight rooms, education, cable TV, for the scum of our society. If you kill, rape, rob, molest, you give up your rights, like you took the rights of the persons you violated. **** all this "human rights" BS for criminals, hell, I know a guy that robbed a convience store one night, just so he could go to jail and have a roof over his head and food. ******* idiot, but if jail is better than life free, than something is seriously wrong.

Agreed - I thought that incarceration was supposed to be for punishment not a paid weekend away.
0 Replies