POTW: Freedom of Speech; where does it end?

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:51 am
This should be a good one

Freedom of Speech, protected by the 1st Amendment, is the most commonly used and taken for granted American right.

It allows us to support the politician we want, worship where we want, and theorize what we want. It makes websites like these possible. :peace:

But there is a limit, actions such as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre are not protected, neither is a select group of other kinds of speak.

So should groups like "Bong Hits for Jesus" and "Nambla" be protected under the 1st amendment? The first (BHFJ) was silenced this morning by a court which said they could not display their message, while the group NAMBLA (who's message is much worse unless you consider recreational pot use worse then child rape) has been protected by the ACLU for years.

Bong Hits for Jesus Verdict

FOXNews.com - Supreme Court Rules Against Student in 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Nambla/ACLU connection

FOXNews.com - ACLU Hasn't A-C-L-U-E - Sean Hannity | Alan Colmes | Hannity & Colmes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,722 • Replies: 26
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:07 am
@Silverchild79,
At what point do we stop censoring things we don't agree with? By who's standards do we censor them? A slippery slope indeed.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:10 am
@Silverchild79,
Bong hits for jesus.... powered by ken starr.
FOXNews.com - Ken Starr Appeals Alaska 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
@Silverchild79,
Once the public has spoken and it's been made law then to some extent the minority in opposition should let it go. Constantly whining because the majority doesn't agree with you is counter productive. But they should retain that right.

It is a slope and that's why it needs our attention. I think that everyone should be able to agree that groups like NAMBLA need to be kept on a short leash. I mean come on it's child rape, what's next "The National Bank Robbers Society"? Allowing any group participating in illegal activity to legitimize themselves is a slippery slope as well.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:25 am
@Silverchild79,
I don't agree with any of the choices. Check me for none of the above or other.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:47 am
@Silverchild79,
what's the other choice?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:51 am
@briansol,

I'm actually glad their appealing. I'm not down with BHFJ but the fact remains that the only reason he was silenced is because he's a student. If he was a teacher there the voice against BHFJ would be demonized nationally. If Colorado-boy can call 9/11 victims "Little Ikemans" what's the harm in BHFJ?

I've yet to see many things more corrupt and self serving then those in power within the education system.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:55 am
@Silverchild79,
Not all speech, both BHFJ and NAMBLA are wrong. That's my choice.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:57 am
@Silverchild79,
that would be option 1
Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:00 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;23476 wrote:
I'm actually glad their appealing. I'm not down with BHFJ but the fact remains that the only reason he was silenced is because he's a student. If he was a teacher there the voice against BHFJ would be demonized nationally. If Colorado-boy can call 9/11 victims "Little Ikemans" what's the harm in BHFJ?

I've yet to see many things more corrupt and self serving then those in power within the education system.
Quote:
I'm not down with BHFJ but the fact remains that the only reason he was silenced is because he's a student.
That an it was a school sanctioned event.
Quote:
If he was a teacher there the voice against BHFJ would be demonized nationally.
He is a teacher now.
Quote:
If Colorado-boy can call 9/11 victims "Little Ikemans" what's the harm in BHFJ?
The reason he was there was because of school, and he was promoting illegal activity's. Therefor not protected speech.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
@Silverchild79,
I'm just saying there's a double standard
Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:02 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;23481 wrote:
that would be option 1
For some reason the "any" was throwing me off.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;23484 wrote:
I'm just saying there's a double standard
I'd like to read the summation.
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:37 am
@Silverchild79,
Closed
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:53 am
@Silverchild79,
Doesn't work that way.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:10 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;23713 wrote:
Closed
This poll will close on 07-02-2007 at 08:55 AM
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:25 pm
@Silverchild79,
Only speech that directly causes the harm of another person should be outlawed.

DIRECTLY!

Shouting fire? Even if no harm is caused, if intent can be proven in the court, the individual should be punished.

NAMBLA? There's no reason to outlaw what they're saying. Just make sure it doesn't become reality.

BHFJ? No reason at all to outlaw what they're saying.

That racist? No reason at all to outlaw what he's saying, unless he's telling someone to kill a blackie and has reason to believe they'll actually do it.

EDIT: And, I don't agree with any of the choices in the poll.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:29 pm
@Silverchild79,
Nambla is a group of pedophiles who use the excuse children are sexual beings thus they should be allowed to partake of sex. That's not free speech, they are inventing an ethos to further their perverted agenda. They want society desensitized to pedophila in hopes of having their ethos reconized as no different that homosexuality. What they are advocating is allowing dicussions about having sex with minors. This issue to me is "What they are discussing is a criminal act." Criminal Intent is not "Free Speech", shut the pigs down now. An opinion is free speech, having internet conversations about sexually abusing children is pure unadulterated filth.
One Man Clan

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 04:04 pm
@Red cv,
Red;23907 wrote:
Nambla is a group of pedophiles who use the excuse children are sexual beings thus they should be allowed to partake of sex. That's not free speech, they are inventing an ethos to further their perverted agenda. They want society desensitized to pedophila in hopes of having their ethos reconized as no different that homosexuality. What they are advocating is allowing dicussions about having sex with minors. This issue to me is "What they are discussing is a criminal act." Criminal Intent is not "Free Speech", shut the pigs down now. An opinion is free speech, having internet conversations about sexually abusing children is pure unadulterated filth.

It's not criminal intent, it's political opinion.

A very, very twisted form of political opinion, but, like racism, political opinion nonetheless.
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:27 pm
@Silverchild79,
I do not like any of the possible answers in the poll
0 Replies