POTW: Global Warming and the WOT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 10:51 am
Oil. It contributes heavily to Global Warming if you're on board with that sub-culture. It also comes from a section of the world where we're in an ideological conflict. Even if we buy it from Chavez we're giving money to communism. Still when I saw Steve Forbes last summer he said "we're not going to run out, we can't hurt the planet, it's all a bunch of hoopla"

And last week gas prices reached an all time high. But what's the truth and what should we do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 13
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 10:58 am
@Silverchild79,
Of course the ultra elite, ultra rich are going to call it all "hoopla". Of course it's in no one except theirs best interest to continue, so if they can throw billions at some scientist to come up with negative theories about it, they can campaign against it as false science and continue making trillions. No one seems to be able to prove it one way or the other, so if nothing else we need to get of hte middle east dick and stop making them richer, and make ourselves better.
briansol

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:52 pm
@Silverchild79,
i want soybean or other eth**** products, so long as i can still enjoy 350hp motors Smile
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:03 pm
@Silverchild79,
even if we could double our own output (and there isn't enough in untapped Alaskan oil for that), we would still buy 20% from foreign countries. As demand increases and our supply decreases anew that number will go back up.

The fact remains that you can't use up resources that take millions of years to generate as quickly as we do, there isn't enough to sustain us in the long run.

My Father often talks about an impending war between the US, China, & India for resources. When it comes to oil our country is full of drug addicts.

Had we been giving billions annually to the Soviet Union during the Cold War we'd all be speaking Russian by now, but where does our oil money go?

Technology has come along way since the 50's, but how we make our energy is still the same. Even less common methods use natural gas and propane which are also fossil fuels.

Even if you don't buy Global Warming, what about air quality in LA these days, isn't that bad enough? I can guarantee you that regardless of what's causing climate change it is Americans who are changing our air quality...

IMO we need to change the way we generate our energy by being smarter about it. Not only would it lower annuals costs for the American family it ensures that we can better fight the War on Terror. And if, god forbid, my father is right about the energy war, we'll be able to sit it out and let India and China fight over "yesterdays resources"
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:22 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;16943 wrote:
Of course the ultra elite, ultra rich are going to call it all "hoopla". Of course it's in no one except theirs best interest to continue, so if they can throw billions at some scientist to come up with negative theories about it, they can campaign against it as false science and continue making trillions. No one seems to be able to prove it one way or the other, so if nothing else we need to get of hte middle east dick and stop making them richer, and make ourselves better.

You've summed up Al Gore quite nicely.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:22 am
@briansol,
briansol;16959 wrote:
i want soybean or other eth**** products, so long as i can still enjoy 350hp motors Smile

Your spoiled?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:09 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;17047 wrote:
You've summed up Al Gore quite nicely.

I hate Al Gore too, and it's a shame that most neocons are turning anti enviroment because he is pro. Even if he is in it for the wrong reasons, it can only help our country, and our future generations, global warming or not, we produce manical amounts of waste, and that is going to impact us.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:40 pm
@Silverchild79,
These discussions illustrate just how diverse and compelling each side of the arguments are. Not to oversimplify, but we need all these things - more domestic drilling, more rapid transit, more conservation, more alternative sources and mostly, more commitment with less bickering. And, not just here - have you seen Mexico City or Tokyo lately..?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:20 am
@Silverchild79,
the real problem with oil is that it is by it's nature a "temporary" solution

even if it didn't pollute (and it does) even if we could find enough in Alaska to stop buying oil from other countries all together (and we can't); eventually we would be right back where we started. It's just a matter of time till we run out again.

But you can't run out of Solar Energy, you can't run out of wind. There's no money is something you can't continuisly sell to the public, that's why natural energy is unpopular on the corporate level. And we tighten our own bonds as Americans by continuing to use oil simply because we view change as inconvenient
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:07 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;17053 wrote:
I hate Al Gore too, and it's a shame that most neocons are turning anti enviroment because he is pro. Even if he is in it for the wrong reasons, it can only help our country, and our future generations, global warming or not, we produce manical amounts of waste, and that is going to impact us.
You call me neocon and i'm not anti enviroment? I have a nasty habit of going places and making the places i've been cleaner then when i got there. I've recycled for over a decade, one of my favorite pastimes is collecting copper wire from Construction sites and while online reading i stripe the plastic of the wire with an exacto so i get more value. While i might seem Anti Global warming never have i denied it is happening.
Problem with Gore is he is not a climatologist, he's a salemen. What ever he is selling i'm sure is at a huge profit to himself. He's found a good sales pitch which happens to be worth trillions if not more? Guess who wants to be the puppet master. But all of this is contingent on our carbon footprint being the cause. Enter Al Gore, LOL.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:09 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;17276 wrote:
You call me neocon and i'm not anti enviroment? I have a nasty habit of going places and making the places i've been cleaner then when i got there. I've recycled for over a decade, one of my favorite pastimes is collecting copper wire from Construction sites and while online reading i stripe the plastic of the wire with an exacto so i get more value. While i might seem Anti Global warming never have i denied it is happening.
Problem with Gore is he is not a climatologist, he's a salemen. What ever he is selling i'm sure is at a huge profit to himself. He's found a good sales pitch which happens to be worth trillions if not more? Guess who wants to be the puppet master. But all of this is contingent on our carbon footprint being the cause. Enter Al Gore, LOL.

Like I said, too bad he is in it for all the wrong reasons. And yes, if you want to shoot him down, simply because he is giving it a democrat face, even if it is going to do nothing but help the enviroment, that is too bad.
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:26 am
@Silverchild79,
Okay boys and girls let us get an expert on oil and gas to comment, someone who works in the buisness and knows the ins and outs of production, reserves, and foreign oil.

Where oh where will we find somebody like that?

Oh right, ME.

I am the Vice President of Operations for an Oil and Gas company. No I am not just pencil pusher, I have worked on drilling rigs (The rigs that actually punch holes in the ground looking for oil) and on work-over rigs (Wells that are already drilled but need the equipment in the hole fixed repaired changed out whatever. I have also worked as a pumper (thats the guy who takes samples of oil and measurements. I have been a landman (works with the geologist s to locate more oil.

And now (for this same company as the rest of those jobs mentioned) I now handle the political and operating end of the buisness.

The alaskan reserves (that we cannot touch, is enough to run the united states current and future dependency for over 100 years. That is just Alaska. The only people who do not think that it does are enviromentalists, and the only people who SAY it doesn't is Saudia Arabia (They want joe american to think we have to get oil from them.) and BIG OIL companies (they like 3 dollars a gallon of gasoline). you take in account reserves (reserves are oil we know is there, estimated reserves, what geologists have said is at least down there still untapped, We have enough to run the united states for over 300 years.

Why do we buy so much foregin oil then why are we not sel sufficent. HEre is the reason and I do not like it.

It is more cost effective for us to sell our Oil to china and buy our oil from the mideast. I will give you fake numbers but you will see the point.

We can sell a barrel of oil to china for 45 dollars a piece, we can BUY oil from the mid east for 40 dollars a barrel (you follow this I am sure) Its a horrible circle but it is there.

I am not ultra rich, I only make about 70 grand a year, and the deficit of oil IS hooplah. While we will eventually run it , neither you nor your kids or your grand kids or your greaat grand kids will be around for it to happen.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:28 pm
@Silverchild79,
Thank you, very insigntful - you should go on Hannity & Colmes, seriously.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:47 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;17284 wrote:
Like I said, too bad he is in it for all the wrong reasons. And yes, if you want to shoot him down, simply because he is giving it a democrat face, even if it is going to do nothing but help the enviroment, that is too bad.
Gore do it for the enviroment? Didn't you see his usage of energy at just one of his homes in Tenn? Oh wait, he buys carbon offsets so that makes him all better?
0 Replies