POTW: Rights for same sex couples

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:22 am
In Oregon last month "Civil Partnerships" were given the same rights as married couples. Oregon now joins several other states in what has become a growing trend.

What's your stance?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 774 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:27 am
@Silverchild79,
I was gone on a family trip all weekend to see my hero brother off to Iraq, I'm so proud of him.

This came up and my parents are conservative christians. While I think homosexuality is unnatural, and therefore wrong, we live in a society that must respect other peoples point of view.

Don't like that your tax dollars help them in their married status? Their tax dollars do the same for you and they disagree with you.

I think Oregon got it right, giving them "Marriage" is a slap in the face to people of faith, but this is America, they should be entitled to civil unions

[Robin Williams]Who cares about same sex marriage, anyone who's ever been married knows it's always the same sex[/Robin Williams]
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 10:20 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;15857 wrote:
In Oregon last month "Civil Partnerships" were given the same rights as married couples. Oregon now joins several other states in what has become a growing trend.

What's your stance?
That sounds funny? "Civil Partnerships" were given the same rights as married couples. so does that mean that a hetero is still allowed to marry the opposite sex under "civil partnership?"

If "civil partnerships" have the same exact rights, does that imply that "civil partnerships" should also define "civil partnership" and the right for a man to marry a women? In that case then civil partnerships are no better for fags the marriage was?
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:07 pm
@Silverchild79,
I work in a country club. We allow unmarried hetero couples to enroll and would allow unmarried homo couples to enroll as well. The basic qualifications require that they conduct themselves as ladies and gentlemen while at the club and agree to be mutually responsible for their joint membership account. If there is an angry break up, we get full payment by requiring both parties in either scenario to co-sign for the other partner. Occasionally, we will get 2 hetero guys pretending to be a couple just to save a little on the dues.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:22 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;16860 wrote:
That sounds funny? "Civil Partnerships" were given the same rights as married couples. so does that mean that a hetero is still allowed to marry the opposite sex under "civil partnership?"

If "civil partnerships" have the same exact rights, does that imply that "civil partnerships" should also define "civil partnership" and the right for a man to marry a women? In that case then civil partnerships are no better for fags the marriage was?

you sound confused

Hetero couples get married

Homo couple enter into a Civil Partnership

and the laws and benefits are the same for both

that's it
Drnaline

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:43 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;17264 wrote:
you sound confused

and the laws and benefits are the same for both

that's it

Heah, i understand your point. But from the way i look at it, using your wording.
Quote:

Quote:
In Oregon last month "Civil Partnerships" were given the same rights as married couples.

If im correct, the rights you speak of marriage as defined by most is man to marry women. If it is true what you say about "civil unions" having the same rights as marriage. By definition marriage is defined between a man and a women, how is that confused? They argue that they are being denied a right but even by our poll for this thread no one here thinks they deserve any kind of right to marriage under the Constitution? Would you not consider that favoratism then?
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:51 am
@Silverchild79,
I was referring to hetero couples that are not married but living together. Like I did with my wife for 9 years before we got married...
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:55 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;17271 wrote:
Heah, i understand your point. But from the way i look at it, using your wording.

If im correct, the rights you speak of marriage as defined by most is man to marry women. If it is true what you say about "civil unions" having the same rights as marriage. By definition marriage is defined between a man and a women, how is that confused? They argue that they are being denied a right but even by our poll for this thread no one here thinks they deserve any kind of right to marriage under the Constitution? Would you not consider that favoratism then?

the only thing this concerns is joint health care, next of kin, benefits etc
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:53 pm
@Silverchild79,
Like i said, the wording sounded funny by definitions sake of which is IMO. Cool.
0 Replies